• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DoubleDAZ

Thread: Suggestions For My Daughter To Get Started

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

Suggestions For My Daughter To Get Started

I originally sent this to my daughter to get her started with her new Thrive and then though some others might first d it useful too:

The first thing I did was replace the keyboard. I know you have the USB board, but when you are without it, you might want to try Hacker's or Swype. The thing I like with Hacker's is the arrow keys.

The next was to replace the browser. I've tried Maxthon, Dolphin Pad, and have settled on Dolphin HD. If you switch, you'll notice the tabs disappear when scrolling. I hated that at first, but then I discovered Gestures. I now use them to go to my favorite websites and the move around; top, bottom, forward, back, etc.

After that, it was to find/install apps. Here's a list, in no order, for you to check out:

My Daily Free Amazon App - this can be set to notify you about what is free each day. Most are games, but you never know.

GetJar - this comes from getjar.com, just search for getjar apps when you get there. The key here is the Gold Apps section. These are paid apps that are free for a limited time.

ES File Explorer - this replaces the stock file manager and can see computers connected to your network.

K-9 Mail - still not as nice as Windows Mail, but better than stock email, mostly because it has an Empty Trash option. If you read your email online, you won't need this. The thing with any email app though is that you have to set them to delete emails off the server, otherwise they just build up. We forgot to reset mom's after our last trip and she had over 7,000 emails we had to delete manually.

MX Video Player/DVD Catalyst - DVD Catalyst is $9.95 and runs on your computer to rip DVD's into mp4 files that can be viewed on the Thrive. MX Video Player seems to be the best viewer overall, but they all have some trouble with different files. Mobo Player is another good one.

Beautiful Widgets - should still be free on GetJar. This has a better clock/weather widgets and I think there is more that I haven't explored yet. I would get it while it's still free, even if you decide you don't want it. The thing I like most is the widgets have transparency options to make all but the data disappear.

MultiPicture Live Wallpaper - lets you have different backgrounds on each screen. For example, I have 4 different Star Trek screens and an Elvis screen. I should note here that you can long-press on a blank screen area and you will see the options for widgets, wallpapers, etc.

There are also the Kindle, Nook, and Overdrive apps for gettings books from the eLibrary in your area if they have one. I don't use Nook, but I assume it interfaces with your account. I don't buy books, but the eLibraries get them from different sources, so I have the apps if I need them for reading.

Of course, there is Pandora and other radio/music stuff. You can adjust the audio somewhat by going into settings/multimedia/audio enhancements. My recommendations are: Enhancement - on Boost - off Enhancement - on Enhancement - on Equalizer - off

Within each Settings, turn on the enables and turn off the defaults, then adjust to your liking. I have bass up about 3/4, treble only about 1/4, clarity all the way, and noise about 1/2. Be careful though, the speakers are pretty sensitive and can blow fairly easily.

Avast! Mobil Security - I switched to Avast on my laptops too.

WiFi Analizer - lets you see what other nets are in your area that might be using the same channel.

GPS Status - calibrates your GPS and shows how many satellites it is using for accuracy, etc.

GPS Test - similar.

Redbox - lets you reserve online, etc.

That's about it so far. I have rooted ours, so I have some more, like Titamium Backup, but I doubt you'll ever do that. The biggest problem you'll face is reinstalling your apps if you have to do a factory reset or something. Google and Amazon both back up, so you'll always have access to those apps, but may lose the data. Oh, and you need to go into settings/applications and check the Unknown Sources box in order to install apps from places others than the Market.

DO NOT leave the Thrive off and plugged in, you can burn out the battery. You can leave it plugged in while it is on or asleep. In fact, they recommended you use it plugged in to minimize how often you recycle the battery.

If you connnect a USB drive or an SD card, they have to be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT. If they are NTFS, it will not see them. That may change with the next update (ICS).
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 12-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    mcarver2000 and LCB like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    About keyboards and arrow keys.... While the Hackers keyboard has the arrows up front, the Swype has arrow keys that are available by selecting 123 and then Edit. There are other useful functions on this portion of the Swype keyboard as well.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Yeah, I know. I've tried it and others, including AI, but still prefer Hacker's, mostly because the arrow keys are on the first page and are larger than AI's.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDaz

DO NOT leave the Thrive off and plugged in, you can burn out the battery. You can leave it plugged in while it is on or asleep. In fact, they recommended you use it plugged in to minimize how often you recycle the battery.

Thanks for power tip, DoubleDaz..sure didn.'t know that about the battery cycle thing.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm122 View Post
    Thanks for power tip, DoubleDaz..sure didn.'t know that about the battery cycle thing.
    Well, most (all?) rechargeables say they are good for so many charges, so it stands to reason you'd want to limit them as much as you can. Of course, you don't want to hinder use, so don't get paranoid about it. One of the selling points is the replaceable battery.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Well, most (all?) rechargeables say they are good for so many charges, so it stands to reason you'd want to limit them as much as you can. Of course, you don't want to hinder use, so don't get paranoid about it. One of the selling points is the replaceable battery.
    Yep, that's one of the reasons I chose Thrive over Transformer!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Great post all around, that's twice today from you!:beer:

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Thanks, I appreciate the comment.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Do you know if there is a way around the amazon account, if not, did you also have to provide a 1-click mobile number..........I'm not a big fan of sharing that kind of info.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saycoda View Post
    Do you know if there is a way around the amazon account, if not, did you also have to provide a 1-click mobile number..........I'm not a big fan of sharing that kind of info.
    I don't think there is and, yes, I had to activate 1-Click. When it comes to phone numbers and other info, Amazon is the least of my worries. I've been a customer for a long time and they've had all kinds of my personal info without any problems. I've had more trouble with local merchants and clerks who've stole credit card data twice since 1994.
    Cheers, Dave

Remove Ads

Ads