• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: [TIP] Want Siri For Your Thrive or Other Android Powered Device? Look No Further.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times

[TIP] Want Siri For Your Thrive or Other Android Powered Device? Look No Further.

Hello Everyone!

It seems like a lot of people (online or not) have been asking me if there is an Android alternative for Apple's Siri, a voice command feature where you get to control your phone. In this thread, I will be giving you the best alternative apps that let you accomplish just that...!

Let's get started.

1) SpeakToIt Assistant

Not surprisingly, this is the most popular Siri-like-alternative-for-android application (wow). This is well rounded, misses a few features, but, it's in beta and it's getting updated very frequently (developer says weekly, but more like three times a month.)

Hit the link above- downloaded, it's worth a shot. I like it a lot, and therefore give it a sold 4.5 stars. The reason it's not fully five is because sometimes, it's buggy. and yes, I do understand it's in beta. They are developing and updating very quickly, so stay tuned.
    Update/Edit: User Taz has informed me of a issue here It is compatible with the Thrive

2) Skyvi

Skyvi is also a popular alternative, and I love it too. Even though SpeakToIt's Assistant still has more features, that one has been on the market for a far longer time. This one is less buggy, more pretty, and it works on the Toshiba Thrive. This is also in alpha (or beta I think). They are updating too, very frequently as well, so I'll give this one a 4.5. Just because it only does what it does. Of course, once the app is the official release.....

3) Vlingo

Also very good. Slightly more accurate because of their own speech recognition engine, but lacks features and updates BADLY. I give it a 3.5.

4) Iris.

First things first- yes, there is a dot. Anyway, it's a cool app. It's the most famous because of the publicity- they weren't afraid to say that it was Siri backwards and all that. It has been updated, but not as much as the others. (been updated way more than Vlingo though). Iris was intially developed in 8 hours. I give it a 4.0.

Well, there are more out there but these are the ones I know and I like. The one I recommend the most would be SpeakToIt and Skyvi. I use both. They are tied.

techelec

Last edited by techelec; 11-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Carib, LCB and NCTurner like this.
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is "Eva" the same type of program?

https://market.android.com/details?i...opselling_paid

Does she run on the Thrive?

Last edited by misterlarry; 11-26-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo

Taz
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I've had SpeaktoitAssistant for a few weeks now. It works on the Thrive.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I've had SpeaktoitAssistant for a few weeks now. It works on the Thrive.
    Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked whether it was compatible or not for a while now!

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
    Is "Eva" the same type of program?

https://market.android.com/details?i...opselling_paid

Does she run on the Thrive?

I don't think so, and it is a good one but for some reason I don't like the UI. I'll add it anyway.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    thanks for the tip I decided to go with the Skyvi, works great!
    techelec likes this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Hey Techelec_- I installed the Skyvi and love it but how do I exit out of it? It seems to be running all the time. When I hit the little S icon on the bottom of my screen I get a message that says "Skyvi-menu-> settings to disable this"
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy192 View Post
    Hey Techelec_- I installed the Skyvi and love it but how do I exit out of it? It seems to be running all the time. When I hit the little S icon on the bottom of my screen I get a message that says "Skyvi-menu-> settings to disable this"
    Maybe techelec knows more, but when you go into Skyvi, select the menu>settings then uncheck the Show On-going Notification and it won't show in the notification bar. You can go into the tablet settings>Applications>Manage apps and force stop. Or, you can get something like Android Assistant that allows you to stop apps from opening on start-up and also close apps that are running.
    techelec likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    Maybe techelec knows more, but when you go into Skyvi, select the menu>settings then uncheck the Show On-going Notification and it won't show in the notification bar. You can go into the tablet settings>Applications>Manage apps and force stop. Or, you can get something like Android Assistant that allows you to stop apps from opening on start-up and also close apps that are running.
    HAH! You think I KNOW MORE? that would be a miracle

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Playing around with speaktoit right now. Its pretty cool. I like the avatar customization and female voice. Not some dude or generic computalk voice. It seems to do a good job. It doesn't open all the apps I tell it to open though. Sort of frustrating. Nice app though. Going to uninstall until these voice apps becomes a little more complex. Still a little too limited in functionality.

I'll try out the others, thanks

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads