• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question How do I install Security programs?

Hi to all,

I am a 76 year old complete newbie and have never used an android device or anything other than a normal cell phone and only have it for emergencies. I do not text, tweet or anything else most younger people are doing so this is all completely new to me.

I was recently given a Toshiba Thrive AT105-T1016 and I have managed to connect it on my home wi-fi network to go on-line and access USA.net to view my mail. The other 2 computers on my home network have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed and I think I should have some kind of security on my Thrive. I bought the 3 user pack so I have 1 more available to install on another computer. Norton has an internet site where you can download NIS 2012 to your netbook and use the registration code that comes in the pack to register it. I downloaded this program to my Thrive but when I try to install it I receive an error message that it does not recognize the .EXE program. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or make a suggestion on how I should proceed?
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphicsGuy View Post
    Hi to all,

I am a 76 year old complete newbie and have never used an android device or anything other than a normal cell phone and only have it for emergencies. I do not text, tweet or anything else most younger people are doing so this is all completely new to me.

I was recently given a Toshiba Thrive AT105-T1016 and I have managed to connect it on my home wi-fi network to go on-line and access USA.net to view my mail. The other 2 computers on my home network have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed and I think I should have some kind of security on my Thrive. I bought the 3 user pack so I have 1 more available to install on another computer. Norton has an internet site where you can download NIS 2012 to your netbook and use the registration code that comes in the pack to register it. I downloaded this program to my Thrive but when I try to install it I receive an error message that it does not recognize the .EXE program. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or make a suggestion on how I should proceed?
    Well, what you are doing wrong is trying to install a Windows application onto an android device. The version of Norton you are talking about is for Windows devices. If you really want to have some sort of security application loaded on your Thrive, then go to the android Market and download LookOut Security. It has phishing and antivirus protection along with some items for phones. It works well and will do what you are looking for.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Installing Windows apps on the Thrive won't work but if you must have Norton running on your Thrive, you can download / install it from here...

Norton Security and Antivirus by NortonMobile

https://market.android.com/details?i...mobilesecurity

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I agree to both dalepl and epak. I as well use lookout security which can be found in the market. Norton also has a mobile verson as epakrat had recommended.

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I agree to both dalepl and epak. I as well use lookout security which can be found in the market. Norton also has a mobile verson as epakrat had recommended.

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    I will also throw my hat in for lookout security.

Sent from my Thrive, using Tapatalk.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Lookout was nice. But I dropped it.
    Dr.Web is worth looking at. Works very well here, on my Thrive. Is available on the Android Market.
    Quite configurable, and unlike Lookout, can scan SD card (always on bootup, or on demand).
    See also few evaluations, still in progress:
    Android detection rates for 14 security vendors on 181 malware samples - Wilders Security Forums

Just my 2 cents

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    While Lookout may not be scanning "external" SD Card, these products are scanning installed applications and with HC there are no installed applications on the external SD Card.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Good point
    1. I suspect they can't test unless they can bring in malware samples on the card.
    2. Sure, I understand apps aren't on the card. So if can't execute, it's safe. Still, I would think scan of an SD card has some merit. One might bring in malware from windows or from some bad download of a .pdf or other file saved via Windows.
    3. I gather that some malware is possible against Windows. Where an innocent download for android brings in something hostile to Windows, which might get transfered when one uses the SD card in both systems. I suppose the AV installed on the Windows should defeat it, so maybe that's not an issue really.

Correct me if I'm wrong on points 2 and 3, please.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to all that responded and just to bring everything up to date.
    I found a dearth of information in the box with the Tablet. I am only familiar with Microsoft's systems and don't know basic Android procedures so downloading an app or Norton program is not yet in my skill level.

I downloaded Toshibaís Userís Guide Thrive (GMAD00281011) but it is 131 pages and way too large to print out and I havenít had time just to sit at my computer or install it on the Thrive tablet and read it. I also downloaded Googleís Android 3.0 Userís Guide but didnít find it much help at my level of expertise.
    I went to Books-A-Million yesterday looking for a basic or Dummies book on the Thrive Android system and was overwhelmed with the many different versions of Android that are available but didnít find any book especially for the Thrive Tablet, they were all for the phone systems. And I didnít find out until I visited the Toshiba site again this morning what Android version I had. Toshiba site lists the Thrive as a 3.1 Honeycomb system, so at least now I know a bit about what I should look for. There were also a couple of Android magazines but I couldnít find any mention of the Toshiba Thrive in any of them.
    Sorry to sound so helpless but this is a new learning experience for me.

Thanks again to all that took the time to reply.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Hey GraphicsGuy, first welcome to the forum, second no need ever to apologize for any questions. That is why this forum is here in the first place.
    A ton of talented and good folk that are more than willing to help each other out. If you dont know something by all means ask away!
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads