• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: [How To] Perform a Nandroid Backup/Restore on your Thrive in ClockWorkMod Recovery

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    880 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums

[How To] Perform a Nandroid Backup/Restore on your Thrive in ClockWorkMod Recovery

This How To will guide you on how to perform a nandroid backup/restore of the data on your Thrive. This will allow you to make a full system backup of your Thrive.

Note: Your External SD Card or any custom folders you may have created on your internal storage will not be included in the backup.

To Backup:
    1. You will need to have ClockWorkMod. Check the Development section if you don't have it installed.

2. Turn off your Thrive (hold down the power button) Once your thrive is turned off Hold down the Volume + button and at the same time press the power button together. You will then feel the Haptic Feedback (vibration) and your Thrive will turn on. You will then see the screen below:

3. In the middle of the screen you will see 3 images with the volume + and - select the middle one and press the power button to select it.

4. This will bring up clockworkmod recovery it will say at the top of the screen "CWM-based recovery"

5. Again, we will navigate through the menu with the volume + and - buttons on your thrive. Go ahead and select "backup and restore"

6. The next screen will say "nandroid" it will have a backup and restore option, select backup with the power button on your thrive

7. Now it will say choose internal storage or external SD Card. Select External SD Card with volume + - and press power to select. Keep in mind... if you choose Internal storage then later flash a ROM that wipes your data, You will loose that backup on your internal storage.

8. It will now start the backup process, let it run and wait for it to say "Backup Complete!"

9. Once it has finished it will restore the menu options at the top. You are now done with the backup and you can select "reboot system now"

To Restore:

1. Follow steps 2-6 above but on step #6 select Restore instead of Backup.

2. You will then be asked to select internal or external SD Card, select the same option you used to backup the first time.

3. You will then see your backup listed there. In my example below I have 2 backups if you have only done this once you will only see one listed. Choose your image to restore and press power to select.

4. It will now start to restore your backup image to your Thrive. Once it is done it will restore the menu at the top.

5. Thats it! You have restored your Thrive. You can now select "reboot system now" from the menu.

Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage or loss of data that may occur to your device.
    Last edited by batfish; 11-30-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added disclaimer

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1948 times
    Great job BatFish. With the questions lately, this was really needed.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Excellent work. Congratulations
    Just a suggestion: Include de words "Nandroid backup" in the title to improve the searching results for non-tech people, like me

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    880 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Quote Originally Posted by VZ_Steeler View Post
    Excellent work. Congratulations
    Just a suggestion: Include de words "Nandroid backup" in the title to improve the searching results for non-tech people, like me

Thanks, Nice suggestion Nandroid has now been included
    Last edited by batfish; 10-27-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Really great pics to go along with the description. Sometimes words don't come across the same to everyone, but with pictures, you can't miss!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Batfish for this. Until the day comes when I don't need to reference this site, and all this becomes second nature, these types of posts take the stress out of necessary functions which keep my device in proper working order.

I'd also like to reference a link which further explains CWM (although the link is elsewhere on this site):

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]
    DaleNetThrive0032 Root v1.3 OOM

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Just a heads-up, this will not backup up any added folders or file on your device. Everything else should be covered.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Having had my first bad experience of being locked out of my Thrive and having to re-load all my software settings I want a backup system.

ClockWorkMod sounds well conceived.

I wonder why this thread has chosen to back up to the internal SD rather than to an SD card inserted in the slot?

Surely if you use an external card it is added protection if the Thrive needs repairing or replacing?

Tony

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    One can always transfer the backups to an SD card. But the more apps one has installed, one would think it better to backup to external memory. And remember, backup your backups.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
    Having had my first bad experience of being locked out of my Thrive and having to re-load all my software settings I want a backup system.

I wonder why this thread has chosen to back up to the internal SD rather than to an SD card inserted in the slot?

Surely if you use an external card it is added protection if the Thrive needs repairing or replacing?

Tony
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    880 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post

Tony
    #7 is the default image you will see after you select backup which is set on internal. Some may not have an SD Card available to them so I mentioned you can choose between internal or external SD. Like mcarver2000 mentioned backup your backups You can backup your backups to an sd card, usb hard drive, thumb drive, your pc, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads