• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Teardown/Rebuild/Replace A Toshiba Thrive Screen

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The top cover assy was in yesterday and my Thrive is working like a charm! ;-)

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll add my experience and a few minor comments.

I originally ordered the parts from NPD, and like everyone else, after 8 weeks they changed my order to the $160 part from the $60 part. I cancelled my order cause they couldn't even tell me when it would ship.
    A month later i went back, and the part was then like $190! I said no way.

I found the part from Impact Computers for $150 and ordered it. (impactcomputers.com)
    Toshiba Thrive AT105-T108 H000036130 1 149.95
    Tablet Top Case Assembly - H000036130

I got the part relatively quickly and used the video to install it. It didn't have the sponges, but i was able to carefully pry up the sponges from my old screen (making sure the glue backing didn't separate) and use them on the new one.

The only snag i ran into was dust and fingerprints on the inner screen (i was super careful about the lcd, but less careful about the inner glass.
    I got it all together again (minus the 14 final screws) before realizing it had a large smudge and a large dust particle.
    I took it back apart and redid it. This time, i only screwed in a few of the LCD panel screws before flipping it over to check. I had to redo it a second time but this time had not reconnected anything.
    Finally got it all back together and it works perfectly.

I'm a little sad the part was $150 ($156 with shipping). I had hoped to repair it for < $100 as a new thrive is only like $325.
    All in all though, it wasn't too bad of a process. The new part with the bezel attached made it much easier. I could probably do it in 1/3 the time if i had to do it again, but i was being super careful.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool

" I can't say for certain whether the foam is also included. For now, I'd advise ordering the foam as well. I'll update this thread once someone confirms the details about the new configuration."

i replaced my screen with the new top case assembly and didn't need the foam. also, i found it cheaper on impact computers

hope this helps

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you have to reuse the old foam or does it come with foam? Thanks for the cheaper alternative.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Twitter
    deviantPulsar
    When I replaced my

top case assembly, I did not use the foam. That foam is not needed if you get the top case assembly.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

back in business, but...

the very top of the screen is unresponsive. so in portrait mode, can't open the market, open new browser windows, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

The instructions were PERFECT! Took one hour the first time and had the unresponsive top of screen, so started over and completed in about 40. Still have the top of screen issue, though. Thanks for this & much respect!

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralXizor View Post
    the very top of the screen is unresponsive. so in portrait mode, can't open the market, open new browser windows, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

The instructions were PERFECT! Took one hour the first time and had the unresponsive top of screen, so started over and completed in about 40. Still have the top of screen issue, though. Thanks for this & much respect!
    I'm glad to hear that we're back in business with the DIY repairs and that several others have followed in my footsteps. I updated the OP with the info about the foam so future DIYers don't order more than they need. The report of $190 for a new screen...that's painful...but it still beats buying a new one...especially if you're talking a 32GB unit like mine.

As for this question, my first guess would be to review the LCD connection to the mainboard. That's how the touch response communicates with the Thrive. I would try to disconnect it and reconnect it...make sure that little white line lines up perfectly. It's somewhat easy to get a partial connection if it's not done correctly. If that doesn't work, it's entirely possible you may have a faulty unit. I didn't experience any problems with sensitivity post repair. I would contact NPD if you determine this to be the case and see what a replacement might look like.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Broken LCD

They list the LCD as a replacement for Thrive AT105-T108 at $234.94:
    Toshiba 10.1 WXGA LCD Display Panel - B101EW05

same part found on ebay costs 80-90$. Do you guys think it will work?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by curier99 View Post
    They list the LCD as a replacement for Thrive AT105-T108 at $234.94:
    Toshiba 10.1 WXGA LCD Display Panel - B101EW05

same part found on ebay costs 80-90$. Do you guys think it will work?
    Do you have a link to the eBay listing?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I just had to send mine off to get fixed. My screen had a scratch that developed into a long crack. Thank god for best buy protection plan.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Ads