• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times

If you want to use GPS without wifi:

True offline maps for your Android - unplugged ! | MapDroyd

It has maps you can download by state, province, or country you can download on the thrive or PC, so if there is no wifi they will still work.
    Last edited by tz1; 08-03-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    Tell me how does this work with the navigation app on the Thrive. It downloads maps but from what I can see there is no way to access them. Am I doing something the Mydroyd app does not even let you view them as stated on their website. Any help would be great if this really works.....when it downloads it puts it on your Thrive instead of your sd card, even thoughit says its on your sd card. Well I moved the files to my sdcard, and now its trying to download them again. I might be doing something wrong but if it doesnt work with the installed nav app what good is it?
    Last edited by Vgeezy; 08-03-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Vgeezy, it looks like it's a server application that runs on your device. And other map applications can pull map data from this local server.
    Being less memory usage, and one map server that can serve to multiple applications, and it manages the data, so you don't have 2 or 3 mapping applications storing the same map data in multiple locations.

ˇˇˇVIVA LA THRIVE-ALUTION!!!
    Click here to donate for my hard work!
    I've worked tirelessly for the first week to get root, and posting images, into second week and creating guides for you.
    I've helped many of you to get root working. Have a heart, donate to your devs.
    Don't just donate to me, find DJ_Steve, and donate to him too. He was the magic behind the method.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    It is a self-contained mapping application that runs on the tablet. If you go to Manage Maps, you can use the checkboxes to say which maps you want, and as you exit it will revalidate the maps and offer to download them directly (you might not want to do that for 50 states, but your locality might be enough), or download via an HTML file with links embedded that download the maps as zip files you put into your MapDroyd/data directory.

It does not integrate with the other apps. The main map app has a labs feature that can cache a 10 mile radius. (Clarification - you have to enable it and it is accessed in the "Places" app)
    Last edited by tz1; 08-03-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    ok thank you.

Ads