• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cable compatibility

I recently purchased a cover with inset keyboard for my Toshiba Excite LE AT305. It is powered with a standard USB. I checked the micro port on my tablet and discovered that the housing is square, not trapezoid like other ports. I did a little research and if what I discovered is correct, the square shape is non-standard. I could use some direction on finding an adapter (not cable) to go from my standard USB keyboard connector to the micro usb port on my tablet. I've included a link below to photos of the cover and the tablet port.

Leather Case USB Keyboard Stylus Pen for 10" 10 inch Tablet PC Android ePad MID | eBay

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-cont...ite10LE-02.jpg

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pjstaley; 09-29-2012 at 02:24 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
    Liked
    67 times
    You need a micro-A usb cable (which are rectangular).

https://www.google.com/search?q=micro-a+usb+cable&aq=f&oq=micro-a+usb+cable&sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie =UTF-8

T
    he micro-B is the one that looks like a trapezoid.

Example of micro-A on left, micro-B on right.
    Last edited by SHADO; 09-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much! Now, do you have any suggestions about where to purchase it? I tried looking on ebay, but even tho they say they are micro a, they are still trapezoid, not square. I'd prefer simply a micro a to female usb adapter instead of a cable, but at this point, I'll take what I can get!
    Thanks again.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    You're welcome.

I have no definitive suggestions as to where to buy one, as I never have. Perhaps try a Best Buy or Radio Shack to get something quickly.

I'm curious why you prefer an adapter instead of a different cable.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Check out the picture I uploaded of the cover. There is a cable that is connected to the keyboard that I need to plug into the tablet for power. I prefer an adapter as it is more streamline than adding yet another cable to one that is already there. (It's a girl thing). I tried Radio Shack earlier this week. No luck.
    Last edited by pjstaley; 09-30-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pjstaley View Post
    Check out the picture I uploaded of the cover. There is a cable that is connected to the keyboard that I need to plug into the tablet for power. I prefer an adapter as it is more streamline than adding yet another cable to one that is already there. (It's a girl thing). I tried Radio Shack earlier this week. No luck.
    Gotcha. I didn't realize that the cable was permanently connected to the keyboard on one end. I kinda figured you were a girl, though. I must be psychic!

I'll try to do some more searching to see what I can find.

I didn't mention this earlier, because it seemed like I might be nitpicking by doing so. You referred to a micro-B connector as a trapezoid, but it isn't. It is actually a rectangle with 2 corners cut off. The reason I bring it up now is because I searched for the dimensions of a micro-A plug, and a micro-B plug, and the size specs are identical (1.8mm x 6.85mm). So I am wondering if a micro-B plug would work in a micro-A receptacle (but not vice versa due to the 90 degree corners on the micro-A plug). I am finding plenty of female A usb to male micro-B usb adapters, but no female A usb to male micro-A usb adapters.
    You could try asking here:

http://www.cablewholesale.com/index.php

T
    hey have a live online chat room where you can ask such questions during certain hours, and they are a female owned company to boot. I found standard usb A female to micro-B male adapters there.
    Last edited by SHADO; 09-30-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nitpicky is ok, cause I'm gonna nitpicky right back atcha'. Trapezoid'ish'. I know what you mean though. I understand exactly what you are saying about the fit. I'll check it out. You've been tremendously helpful Shado. Thank you so much. If you're interested, (pending I should find the exact one) I'll keep you posted. Well, I'll post either way, finding the exact one or determining if the other one will fit.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Glad I could help a little. Yes, I will be very interested to hear of the outcome of your cable/adapter search. Good luck!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

per your request...

Hi Shado,
    As it turns out, the standard micro b male with the trapezoid shaped end works perfectly.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Sounds like it's a non-issue now, but for your future cable and adapter needs, monoprice.com is great. Been shopping there for years. Shipping is a little high when it's $5 and the single cable you're buying is $0.83, but hey. monoprice has all kinds of stuff. Sure some of it is cheaper, but at such cheap prices, I just buy bulk. Perfect example are the 5-pin micro cables standard on most phone chargers these days. Usually phones come with 1 cable that's super short. I buy about 5 10ft and 5 6ft cables so I can have my devices plugged in and use them without a short leash! Great site to pick up some cheap HDMI cables for the Thrive. Or a longer mini-USB cable, the one that comes with the Thrive is unbelievably short!

Nice find on the built-in keyboard case, might have to get one. Do you like it?
    Last edited by Mike7143; 10-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads