• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By DoubleDAZ

Thread: General Etiquette Guidelines for the Development of ROMs, Themes, and Other Mods

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

General Etiquette Guidelines for the Development of ROMs, Themes, and Other Mods

The release of Ice Cream Sandwich has created a flurry of new activity and renewed interest in developing customized ROMs, Themes, and other modifications. As a service to newcomers and a refresher for the more experienced among us, we'd like to remind everyone of the guidelines that need to be followed when developing such modifications.

First and foremost is Permission. Since Android is an Open Source system, many things are not copyrighted. However, that doesn't mean other people's work should be borrowed without first seeking permission from the author. Every effort should be made to contact the author and get permission to use their work for further modification, enhancement, or customization. Conversely, when it comes to modifying Themes, Wallpapers, and such, much of what you may want to use will be copyrighted, particularly images, icons, etc. Unless you create them yourself, make absolutely sure you have permission to include such items in your project.

Next comes Credit. When a modification is published, ensure proper credit is given for any work done by others. Even if an author can no longer be contacted, credit should still be given. If someone collaborates on a project, such collaboration should be recognized. They did the work, they deserve the credit.

Followed by Share. The very nature of Open Source dictates that work should be be shared with everyone. Be open to granting permission for others to use your work. Consider it a compliment that someone wants to build upon something you did and enjoy the appreciation that goes with it.

And finally Cooperation. With renewed interest comes inexperienced people with a desire to learn and make their own contributions to the community. Be receptive to their questions and offer as much guidance as possible. If they need to do more research, try to steer them in the right direction. Offer your knowledge and expertise to benefit the entire community by helping others learn and make their ideas a reality.

The bottom line is we are all here to make the Thrive more enjoyable and sharing our knowledge and interest in customization can only help reach that goal.
    gpa011, aauthor, danvee and 7 others like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    VERY WELL SAID!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    yes - well written DD -

From my ICS by dalepl, Themed by t1nk Thrive
    32gb Thrive
    Dalepl's IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Thank you, but I just expanded on something gunthermic started some time ago and I was able to make it more formal and visible. And t1nk was the one who brought the potential problems to my attention. As usual, it was a group effort. :beer:
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Thank you, but I just expanded on something gunthermic started some time ago and I was able to make it more formal and visible. And t1nk was the one who brought the potential problems to my attention. As usual, it was a group effort. :beer:
    Dave,
    If it was a group effort then that is why it was posted 3 times yesterday.hehehhe
    Thank you and your group for reminding all of us to be more etiquette. Be kind, polite, and courteous as you never know when you might need help!
    Dennis
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWolves View Post
    Dave,
    If it was a group effort then that is why it was posted 3 times yesterday.hehehhe
    Thank you and your group for reminding all of us to be more etiquette. Be kind, polite, and courteous as you never know when you might need help!
    Dennis
    Actually Dennis, I couldn't post it as a single Announcement at the Hacks forum level where I wanted it, so I had to add it to each of the 3 sub-forums. Even at that, those are just links to the actual post in the FAQs forum. And I only did it that way because that's how Wicked posted the General Guidelines Announcement. I wish the software had added a separate Announcement, but that's apparently not the way things work.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Actually Dennis, I couldn't post it as a single Announcement at the Hacks forum level where I wanted it, so I had to add it to each of the 3 sub-forums. Even at that, those are just links to the actual post in the FAQs forum. And I only did it that way because that's how Wicked posted the General Guidelines Announcement. I wish the software had added a separate Announcement, but that's apparently not the way things work.
    Another reason maybe you and the dentist were having too much fun with the Nitrous Oxide(Laughing gas)!
    Dennis
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

Remove Ads

Ads