• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

FBReader and text enlargement? Kindle .azw folder

Alrighty then, downloaded FBReader to my Thrive (along with Kindle and Nook). Couldn't find a get started tutorial or document for the FBReader. Fortunately it jumped up and started displaying my ePub ebooks. Is there a way for me to get FBReader to enlarge the text? I guess reading my books on the laptop via Calibre and being able to enlarge the text to being able to read without aid of the bifocals kinda spoiled me. Anyway, any hope or is there another eReader that will work?

Kindle (mobi format). I used the USB file transfer method (PC to Thrive) that I just learned on this site to transfer some mobi books to the Kindle/.azw folder in File Management (Stock). Did the power off on the Thrive (hard restart, like a computer, right?). Started Kindle but no books showed up other than the one freebie that came from Amazon when I downloaded the Kindle App. The kindle formatted eBooks I transferred are in the .azw folder, but Kindle doesn't recognize them. Suggestions?

Since I have Calibre on my PC's, book formats aren't a problem, I'll just convert to whatever works for whatever eReader meets my needs.

~Dave
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    Three dots upper right corner -tap it and you'll see "zoom in " and "zoom out " along with other options.
    The manual is found by clicking the icon about center top that looks like books on a shelf.
    It's found there opening the fb reader library/file tree /fb reader library /cr3 _manual _end _US.fb2 click upper right "read "
    Don't be afraid to click around and try stuff. That's what I just did.

For info on the Kindle app :

Where are Kindle downloaded books filed?

sent from my modded Thrive using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by danvee; 07-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who learns by the "stumble onto method". Went to the "Four" bars in the upper right corner, scrolled down to settings,clicked on Text, clicked on Font Size, started clicking on the sizes until I got to where it was comfortable to read without the old phart glasses (bifocals). Started out with the zoom in but that got to be rather slow. Thanks for the lead.

I'm not going to struggle with Kindle right now, especially since FBReader seems to fill the bill just fine, and I can convert the book formats without problem. However, in the future, when I get the "Chief B.S. Detector" her personal Kindle Fire, I may have to revisit this subject.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
    Kindle (mobi format). I used the USB file transfer method (PC to Thrive) that I just learned on this site to transfer some mobi books to the Kindle/.azw folder in File Management (Stock). Did the power off on the Thrive (hard restart, like a computer, right?). Started Kindle but no books showed up other than the one freebie that came from Amazon when I downloaded the Kindle App. The kindle formatted eBooks I transferred are in the .azw folder, but Kindle doesn't recognize them. Suggestions?
    I just put mine in the /kindle folder. I have no idea what the acw folder is. If I move a book there, Kindle no longer sees it.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    Mine shows acw.
    As in sdcard/kindle/acw. It's empty, and I have over 90 books.

~Dan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Mine shows acw.
    As in sdcard/kindle/acw. It's empty, and I have over 90 books.
    Same here, but only 48 books for me. I don't know why Dave is putting them in the acw folder rather than the kindle folder.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    Those freebies are addictive

~Dan

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yeah, I stand corrected, it's the .ACW rather than .ACZ folder. Maybe that's what is going wrong. Somewhere along the line I must have figured that was the correct folder for the transfer since it's a subfolder of Kindle. How did I get there? Easy, if you're me (my wife says I get lost very easily as well, heck I'm just wandering the path least traveled). When I opened the device "Thrive" on my PC, it showed the Kindle folder and I clicked on it and that opened the .acw folder.......so......, well, obviously, since it didn't work.....ah well, life is full of mysteries. So what you two are saying is just drop in the Kindle folder and not any further in the folder? OK, off to try that.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
    So what you two are saying is just drop in the Kindle folder and not any further in the folder? OK, off to try that.
    Be sure to let us know.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Be sure to let us know.
    Ta Da. Worked perfectly. So in recapitulation:

Since this was a PC to Thrive application:
    1. Connect the two units with an appropriate USB cable.

2. Once Thrive (on my Dell it is identified as AT100) has loaded on your PC,
    a. open (Open Device to view Files)
    b. next seen will be Device Storage Icon, double click on this
    c. next view will be list of folders on the Thrive.

3. Open another window on your PC to your eBook storage location.

4. Select your choices, drag and drop to the appropriate folder, in this case the Kindle folder.

5. In this case, start Kindle on the Thrive to verify transfer was satisfactory.

Worked for me. Now all I got to do is figure out how to zoom in on the text, like we figured out for FBReader.

And BTW, Dave, my niece called (now I gotta figure out who blabbed to her) and wanted to know when she could come over and set up my WiFi for me in exchange for a grilled Rib Eye Steak dinner (another "skill" I've managed to acquire). Sounds like a fair trade to me. Next week perhaps. I want to play with the USB adapter I was told about on this site. It'll be here tomorrow. I may need to know how it works and is tied in with the modem/router to Thrive function when on the roads of America later this year. And yes, this can be very addictive.

~Dave

Ads