• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Here's how to get root (untried)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Here's how to get root (untried)

We need to use applypatch, which is what the OS uses to apply the OTA patches, which obviously does unlock the ROM and write to the protected memory. I've searched but can't find anything more than the help page which you will see if you run it in a terminal windows.

It looks like it needs an apk or some sort of signed file. I think this is our answer folks.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Does the app not reboot you into recovery to install the file(automatically) when you hit install?

I forget.

Anyway if someone could find a way to piggyback Superuser into the OTA update that would be nice. Sadly, the update has a "whole file manifest" that checks and makes sure everything is as it should be. It even notices if you change an ascii character within a file.

Maybe someone with experience could modify all the manifest files etc. in an appropriate manner to allow us a piggyback.

Edit: An example of the signed file is most definitely in the OTA update I posted
    http://www.mediafire.com/?239uts3rdubddds
    Last edited by Natolx; 07-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
    Does the app not reboot you into recovery to install the file(automatically) when you hit install?

I forget.

Anyway if someone could find a way to piggyback Superuser into the OTA update that would be nice. Sadly, the update has a "whole file manifest" that checks and makes sure everything is as it should be. It even notices if you change an ascii character within a file.

Maybe someone with experience could modify all the manifest files etc. in an appropriate manner to allow us a piggyback.

Edit: An example of the signed file is most definitely in the OTA update I posted
    Thrive_update_from_5.0018_to_5.0022.zip
    Well I tried to use Auto-sign.zip from [HOW TO] Manuals for creating a theme - xda-developers and when using the signed zip it fails the verification immediately for a signature. So I then tried to swap out the Manifest.mf file in the original update.zip (the one I put the superuser.apk and the su bin file in) and it still does the fail for full file check.

I think we need the private keys Toshiba used, or to find out how they made the patch files (the ones that end in .p).

I am really stumped. Crazy idea though, can we use the system dumps we have, make them into a .img file and fastboot push them? We may need to pull a few of the files that it wont let us pull from ADB but I wonder if they all are common files?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    880 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Quote Originally Posted by _dennis_ View Post
    Well I tried to use Auto-sign.zip from [HOW TO] Manuals for creating a theme - xda-developers and when using the signed zip it fails the verification immediately for a signature. So I then tried to swap out the Manifest.mf file in the original update.zip (the one I put the superuser.apk and the su bin file in) and it still does the fail for full file check.

I think we need the private keys Toshiba used, or to find out how they made the patch files (the ones that end in .p).

I am really stumped. Crazy idea though, can we use the system dumps we have, make them into a .img file and fastboot push them? We may need to pull a few of the files that it wont let us pull from ADB but I wonder if they all are common files?

how about some of theses
    Signapktic: Sign .apk’s and .zip’s on your Android Device | xda-developers
    Tool To Auto-Sign Multiple APKs And ZIPs | xda-developers

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Are the certs in /etc/security/otacerts? If so, then we may be in a bind since we don't have their private key to encrypt with.

I do notice though that the sha-1 checksums for applypatch appear to be optional (in [ ] ) so can we actually use it to load an unsigned zip?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The signing tools don't work. I think we really need Toshiba's certs to completely resign the update.zip.

I have no idea how to use the otacerts file to sign things.....someone with some crypto knowledge will have to figure it out I think.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Well there's no way we're gonna get the private keys or how they made the patch files.

Actually that idea about adding files to the system dump then reforming a .img to push via fastboot sounds like an awesome idea. Sadly, if the files aren't in the system dump we simply cannot get them through ADB. Getting anything that didn't come out of the system dump requires SU

Do we really need any other files?

Edit: I figure all we have to do is put su in /bin in the system dump and superuser.apk in the /app folder then recompress it into a .img.

Is that really all it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by _dennis_ View Post

Last edited by Natolx; 07-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it would be it. I am not 100% sure and I don't know how to make an img file. If you make it I am willing to try it. it may brick my device but I hope not

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Well I'm wondering whether our system pull really got everything. isn't there a /dev/ folder or something that I don't see there?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    /dev is a different filesystem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads