• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Root issues out the wazoo

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Congratz. The issues I have seen are mostly user induced. A few have had a fit because of thier device. Enjoy your new freedom.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Using the 3.2.1 root tool, I was able to root my OTA updated thrive with relative ease. Had to root one of the 'WOOT' 16gig models for a family member the other day, and it was on one of the 3.1 versions, but was a version 'between' one of the available roots (can't remember the exact build number). I attempted to use service station to update it to the next version to use the 3.1 root script, but the OTA update kept failing..

Since that device had fastboot still, I just used fastboot to flash CWM, booted straight into recovery, and flashed your 3.2.1 oom rooted rom. Having seen some of the strange things that Toshiba has done, I wasn't sure that the approach I took was wise, but it worked flawlessly, and was loads faster than rooting ota 3.2.1.

I guess I am just disappointed that they try to make it so hard to root these devices. You bought it, you should always have the choice. if I go buy a (insert OEM name) computer, and wish to format the hard drive and install linux, or bsd, or even an old copy of OS/2 (if it would even work these days)..who are they to tell me no..oh well.

I'll stick with devices that I know have support, like our thrive, and that I know I can root.
    ----- If it's not modded, it must not be mine -----
    HTC Hero CDMA / CM7
    HTC Hero CDMA / NFX Stock (Modified)
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus / BlackICE #39
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / Rooted OOM
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / HoneyBaked 1.3
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 / Rooted

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moxlon69 View Post
    I guess I am just disappointed that they try to make it so hard to root these devices. You bought it, you should always have the choice. if I go buy a (insert OEM name) computer, and wish to format the hard drive and install linux, or bsd, or even an old copy of OS/2 (if it would even work these days)..who are they to tell me no..oh well.
    Once again, PCs have had years to standardize things for us to be able to do that. Turn the clock to the late 80's and things weren't much different for them. Android will get there, it will just take some time.
    bobj and Greg0u812 like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Once again, PCs have had years to standardize things for us to be able to do that. Turn the clock to the late 80's and things weren't much different for them. Android will get there, it will just take some time.
    Yes, in the early days of Microsoft they made it pretty hard, almost impossible, to have a dual boot, until they started to feel the heat of antitrust

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Exclamation

any suggestions on antivirus/firewall for a rooted device i am currently using avg but it keeps freezing when it scans my settings.? i just dont want to go unprotected with a rooted or even unrooted for that fact

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pogocomrules View Post
    any suggestions on antivirus/firewall for a rooted device i am currently using avg but it keeps freezing when it scans my settings.? i just dont want to go unprotected with a rooted or even unrooted for that fact
    I use avast and many use lookout.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pogocomrules View Post
    I don't understand the need to use antivirus programs/apps on a Android's Linux-based operating system. Linux and Apple/Mac are the 2 operating systems that have not seen any potential threat. Although, the Mac has recently been targeted it is still very rare/minimal unlike Microsoft. Microsoft has been the primary target for years now. Google's Market reviews every submitted app before allowing it on the Market. We did have a couple bad apps that injected malicious codes and affected a few hundred Android users. Google was quick to get rid of the harmful app and restore the users phone(s) back to normal.

I don't find the need to have these apps for that purpose. Its pretty much useless. I do use an app called LBE Security. It allows me to grant or deny access to any apps asking for permission for location, data, contacts, wifi, phone and texting. It does a great job of spoofing data to certain apps that rely on needing data to function but stops those apps from gaining access to any of the above mentioned.

You really only need an app like LBE Security to control any apps that are seeking to use stuff that's privacy to you but you don't feel that a certain app needs to use access to something that makes no sense to use.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSwaggeR View Post
    I don't understand the need to use antivirus programs/apps on a Android's Linux-based operating system. Linux and Apple/Mac are the 2 operating systems that have not seen any potential threat. Although, the Mac has recently been targeted it is still very rare/minimal unlike Microsoft. Microsoft has been the primary target for years now. Google's Market reviews every submitted app before allowing it on the Market. We did have a couple bad apps that injected malicious codes and affected a few hundred Android users. Google was quick to get rid of the harmful app and restore the users phone(s) back to normal.
    Well, there was an article just the other day about a new Android virus, so they are out there. Once a flaw shows up and gets around, others are sure to follow and the more popular a system gets, the more attackers there will be.

Plus, not everyone limits their source for apps to Google. I use Google, Amazon and GetJar so far, but I just started with the Thrive. I don't know what else is out there yet and I can see myself branching out as I get further from using my Windows laptop. It may be that Google, etc., will remain the major sources for apps, but that could change.

And, it's become standard procedure to use protection when interfacing with the internet. One wrong click on a website could cause problems, it's not just from installing apps. It only costs a little in system resources to stay protected and I use my Thrive for "real" stuff, not games, so I have data worth protecting.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSwaggeR View Post
    I don't understand the need to use antivirus programs/apps on a Android's Linux-based operating system...........
    Google removes 27 apps from Android Market in response to RuFraud malware threat | The Verge

Lookout Mobile Security Mobile Threat Report

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I still stand by my statement due to knowledge of coding and using the Linux operating system for the past 5 years.

You do realize the threat was minimal. Also, Lookout had no idea that malware was going around till users reported it. Then they claimed credit that their app picked it up and blocked it. There was another app claiming credit too. Neither of them knew anything until way after it happened. You could've scanned those suspected apps with Lookout and it would've passed it as clean.

Its just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads