• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: [Tutorial] Increase Number of Volume Steps

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

[Tutorial] Increase Number of Volume Steps

I have several very loud pairs of headphones and I wanted to be able to listen to them softly sometimes. The android default for number of volume steps is 15, and even at the lowest, it was too loud. So I figured out how to do this. Works great on the Thrive, so I decided to make a tutorial as I did it to my phone (Thunderbolt). ROOT is required.

It is linked below.

Increase Number of Volume Steps In Android

This forum doesn't allow HTML, so I converted it to BBcode in the next post, but it's nicer to read in the link. Hope this helps someone else out!
    Last edited by bobmilkman; 01-11-2012 at 03:46 AM.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Best viewed here

This tutorial will show you how to increase the number of steps of volume control in Android. The default number of steps (for music/media volume) is 15, which is fine for most people. However, I have a pair of headphones which are very loud even at the lowest volume setting, so I changed it to 30 steps.

Warnings
    • You will need ROOT on your device. We are modifying android system files, so there is a chance you will break your OS. It would be a good idea to make a nandroid backup first. This is not for the computer-illiterate or faint of heart. Read through the whole tutorial first to make sure you want to do this before starting.
    • This may not work well on all devices. On my HTC Thunderbolt, certain numbers of steps seemed to cause the volume to bounce up and down every step.
    Required Hardware
    • A rooted android device. I have tested this on a Toshiba Thrive (Android 3.2.1) and an HTC Thunderbolt (Android 2.3.4)
    • A computer running Windows. You could certainly use Mac or Linux, but this tutorial is written for Windows users.
    Required Windows SoftwareProcess
    Install Prerequisites
    Install JDK, 7-Zip, and Notepad++
    Setup ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
    Unzip Android SDK. Add the folder that adb is in to the windows PATH. This will allow you to run adb from any folder.

In Windows 7, search the start menu for environmental variables:

You can also right click on My Computer -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environmental Variables

Edit the PATH variable. There should be several folder paths already. Go to the end of the text field, type ; (semicolon) followed by the path to adb. For example, I unzipped Android SDK to F:\Downloads\android-sdk-windows, so my path to adb is F:\Downloads\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.

Test adb: Open a command prompt (Win+R and type cmd), then type adb version and hit Enter. A response like below should be shown.

Install USB Drivers
    Enable USB Debugging on your device:

Press Home, Menu > Settings > Applications > Development. Ensure USB debugging is checked.

Plug in your device via USB.

In the command prompt, type adb devices. You should see a device listed (with serial number).

If you see a device, continue to the next step. If not, you will have to install drivers, by following the steps here.
    Get framework.jar
    Download and unzip Smali/Baksmali Manager (link above).

Open a command prompt in the folder where you unzipped smali/baksmali. Hold shift and right click on the folder, then click Open command window here.

Type adb pull /system/framework/framework.jar. This will copy the framework.jar file to the smali/baksmali folder.

Extract (baksmali) and edit framework.jar
    Open the smali/baksmali folder and run baksmali Manager.bat

Type 4 (select file), then 2 (framework.jar).

Type 1 to baksmali the framework.jar. This decompresses it to files and folders. Leave this window open.

In the smali/baksmali folder, open framework\android\media\AudioService.smali

Search for 0xft 0x0t 0x0t 0x0t

You should find a table that looks like the one below, with 10 or 11 lines.

The first entry in each line is the number of steps. Line 4 is music/media, and is currently 0xf, which is hexadecimal for 15

Let's say I want to change this to 45. Open up Windows calculator, and Witch to View -> Programmer mode. Type in 45 then hit hex, which converts 45 to hexadecimal. The result is 2d. You can do this for any number.

Change the value in the table to your desired value (for example 0x2dt. You can also modify the steps for the other parameters, such as bluetooth or ringers. Save AudioService.smali.

Repack framework.jar
    In the baksmali Manager.bat window, press 2 to smali (this will create a new classes.dex file).

If you accidently closed the window, you will have to open it again and hit 4 and 2 to reselect the file.

Open framework.jar with 7-Zip. Drag classes.dex into the archive in 7-Zip

Replace framework.jar on device
    Method 1:
    Go back to the window that had adb open in the smali/baksmali folder. Type adb remount and hit enter. Then type adb push framework.jar /system/framework/framework.jar This will copy framework.jar over your old framework.jar

Run adb shell

Run cd /system/framework

Run chmod 644 framework.jar

I also ran ls -l to ensure framework.jar has copied and the permissions are correct.

Restart the device. Type adb reboot

Method 2 (if method 1 did not work):
    Go back to the window that had adb open in the smali/baksmali folder. Type adb push framework.jar /sdcard/framework.jar This will copy framework.jar to the root of your SD card (or maybe internal storage) on the device.

Get a file browser that can access the whole filesystem, such as ES File Explorer or Root Browser. Go into options and make sure mount filesystem as writable (or similar) is enabled.

Browse to the /sdcard (this is also /mnt/sdcard). Copy framework.jar, navigate to /system/framework, and paste it, overwriting the old framework.jar

Go to properties and change permissions like is shown below

Restart the device.
    Test
    Play some music and rack through the volume to make sure it works right.

SourcesOriginal: Increase the Number of Volume Steps in Android Chris Dube
    Last edited by bobmilkman; 01-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    awesome! going to try doing that tonight. i was looking for that a while ago and started using a volume app that allows super fine adjustment, but i've found that with apps that have their own volume control, sometimes there is some glitchy behavior.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmilkman View Post
    restart the phone.
    ??? LOL! You may want to remove those parts?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    haha I was writing it as I did it to my phone. Wen't through and changed all six times I slipped up
    epakrat75 likes this.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    it worked flawlessly! thank you so much for the excellent how to. i suck with software and was able to follow the directions just fine. 30 steps seems just about perfect so far.
    bobmilkman likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Awesome! just tried on my thrive and worked flawlessly. Thanks!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Works great on thrive! Always bugged me on netflix. Thanks!!!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Doesn't work for me

When I try to baksmali my framework.jar, I receive the following error:
    UNEXPECTED TOP-LEVEL EXCEPTION:org.jf.dexlib.DexFile$NoClassesDexException: zip file framework.jar does not contain a classes.dex file
    at org.jf.dexlib.DexFile.(DexFile.java:305)
    at org.jf.baksmali.main.main(main.java:250)

Okay, I am trying this on a Samsung Galaxy S2 and not a Toshiba device, but there should not be a big difference.Does someone has any idea how to solve this issue?#

Thanks
    Last edited by fab_ge; 01-21-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I use an app called Fine Volume Control. It may not work as well (idk) but it's easy to set up--also has customizeable profiles.

Tapping with my Thrive!
    the ORIGINAL thrive running dalepl ICS
    Google Galaxy Nexus rooted stock--oops, cracked screen but running 4.2.2
    Google Nexus 7 rooted, stock 4.2.2
    Google Nexus 4 rooted, stock 4.2.2

Ads