• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Does anybody have Ubuntu Linux running on their Thrive??

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by roadapathy View Post
    when i compile the kernel, i see a lot of drivers for touch screen. FYI. I need the office apps, and printing abilities of Linux on my tablet :-(
    That's a good reason... hrm... good luck. Maybe I'll give it a shot if free time ever comes around...

----=zR]|[Gz=----
    Toshiba Thrive 32G rooted Android 3.2 + Lexar 128GB SDXC & Backup Battery
    HTC Magic G2 + 16GB microSD
    IBM Thinkpad 12" X60 1.6GhzCore2Duo 2G DDR2 128GB SSD
    Data Mules: 1TB 3.5" External drive & 500GB 2.5" External

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Hmm, As soon as I get clockwork making backups I'll port it, Linux and me are good friends and me and Ubuntu are married...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    a dual boot android/ubuntu would be fantastic.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    On it like white on rice...

Sent from my Rooted THRiVE 3.2.1 using Tapatalk
    THRiVE Support/Fun Community CHAT
    and Join the channel: #THRiVE Since we dont have a spot where I could just upload a chat without permission, this will do for now.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    If you get that to work you would deserve your own comic book

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Not yet...on a Thrive, but it has been done on several other devices. Im researching hardcore into the subject right now around linux forums..see what I can figure out with this, and as stated, unless you have a Build for tablets, not designed for PC's they normally suck, but I do believe, where there is a will there is a way lol

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    in response to the needing linux funtionality for business use, ie office apps and printing, what about using something like "log me in" that came with the thrive to remove manage your ubuntu desktop/laptop so you can access it on the go?

I know there are instructions for the chroot method, but that's not a real tablet interface, so it may not work like you're wanting it to. The other option, if this doesn't pan out, is to wait for ubuntu to start making tablet builds, which it's said will be something like version 14?

Either way, I'm watching this like a hawk, because I'd love ubuntu on here

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Pfft. Why do something like that When I can pretty much say, with the leaps and bounds i've made in the last 72 hrs of my android life, Im comfortable with it..of course ill never stop learning, being linux heavy in my career...Im writing kernels like they're going out of style, so i stopped for a moment..and found this:

http://stream0.org/2011/08/10/dual-booting-android-3-2-and-ubuntu-11-04-on-an-asus-transformer

I'll be able to Have dualboot to Ubuntu within the week, given someone helps me, if it can be done on their Tegra, it can be done on ours.

Then well, I can honestly say,

As someones Signature says...

I'D RATHER THRiVE than be EXCiTED

Me getting comfortable with this, could be dangerous. lmao I finally gave someone my kernel and work on my Touchpad for a thorough i guess ' testing ' as they didn't believe me..lmao Well, lets just say, YOU GUYS and people putting motivation behind what developers/soon to be considered developers/aspiring developers and rooters, is what DRiVES me to be iNSPiRED to make the THRiVE come ALiVE :P

A little help if anyone wants to help with this, would be awesome As I currently have 3 kernels in Development, 1 perhaps ready to be beta tested, 2 that are having issues, and 1 new one now..that if i can figure out how to get both cores running, will probably make the THRiVE the top, of its Price range, (which it already is) as far as for rooters/developers alike...If all is compiling the way I see it is..

as you can tell IM SUPER stoked about this new found ' serenity ' with android. but still have much to learn with all the other aspects. Thanks guys for being excited about all thats been going on around our ' little tablet that could and will..and already has.. '

Feel free to PM me for anyone who is good with Ubuntu/linux and has dualboot experience, which IDK how many have dualboots other than WebOS users..lol but lets change that..just for the hell of saying we can? :P Plus any input/help/motivation I can get for this and the kernel builds will certainly help moral for it

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Yes people have it running .... on Honeycomb tabs:

Here is one good tutorial how to install a dual boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Honeycomb on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. (chrooted under Android and using a VNC client) I am guessing @Kobos311 can determine the minor variations for Thrive.

Dual Boot a Galaxy Tab with Honeycomb and Ubuntu - How-To Geek

Also, here is a native Debian install (no chroot) on Xoom, where the issues were - you guessed it - the lack of documentation for the BCM4329 wifi, and the tegra's proprietary sound drivers.

Debian Natively on the Xoom (No chroot) - RootzWiki

All these tablets are the same hardware as inside our Thrives, so I am betting on @Kobos311 that he can do a true dual boot. I am an Ubuntu fan also, and interested in seeing what the advantages are over just using a different Launcher, as @techelec and @kenneth suggest. I think using a different Launcher is the best answer.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    This is awesome. I'm only beginning to use Linux. I recently switched my home theater computer from Windows 7 with XBMC to the much faster Openelec XBMC version, running it from a 16gb SD Card. I've been wanting to get XBMC running on the Thrive every since I get it. There is some progress for an Android native version, but if you can get a dual boot with Ubuntu, then I'm golden. Or possibly take a look at Openelec and see if that's a possibility. Not to put more on your plate, but there might be something worthwhile in their coding.

Ads