• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: up-to-date, complete step-by-step tutorial on the easiest? way to root thrive?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

up-to-date, complete step-by-step tutorial on the easiest? way to root thrive?

can someone please tell me where to find a up-to-date, complete step-by-step tutorial on the easiest?
    way to root thrive?

i sort of was hoping when i started looking, there was something like bitpim, which is a single program
    that i use to get access to my old cellphone's file structure by hooking it up to a computer with a usb
    cable, but i do not see anything like that here.

i've looked through this site, and there are just too many tutorials, too many responses and suggestions,
    too many pages, etc., and i'm just not sure what to do. all of the tutorials seem too complex, and there
    are just too many conflicting posts.

from the reading i have done on here, it sounds like the easiest route is to get some sort of program that
    makes a complete baclup first (this is for a stock thrive, just out of the box) with windows xp, get some
    sort of flash program for windows xp, install to thrive something called clockworkmod?, and flash an
    pre-made image to the thrive that is already rooted (probably the most up-to-date image by dalepl),
    like the DaleNet HMJ37.01.5.0032 Stock Rooted ROM.

but, i cannot find a detailed step-by-step tutorial for doing this, with all of the info and program links,
    and i do not want to screw things up.

is there one?

thanks.
    Last edited by mda; 11-20-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: my carriage breaks keep vanishing wheni post

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think I'm newbee like you so I can answer this question. Yesterday I rooted my thrive following the step by step tuto from ALF... the name is something like 'rooting thrive for newbee'.. make a search on the forum to find the thread... good luck..

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    rhea and lastcatspike like this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks. i looked at that- it's one of the tutorials that looks too complicated.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    875 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    thanks. i looked at that- it's one of the tutorials that looks too complicated.
    It may look complicated at first from all the information in there but its just that it goes into detail and helps you not only to root but helps get you educated on the whole process. You can also look over the videos in this thread: Root/Unroot Walktrhough using Easy-Root Tool (Youtube)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    If you think it's complicated it will be complicated. Realistically it is not complicated at all. Just read it over a couple of times and take it step by step.

After you finish rooting it, you're going to say to yourself, that was it?

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    rhea likes this.
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Having just spent some time helping one who was very terrified to root and run another rom, I will ask first, are you familiar with using the command window? If so, nothing else is difficult. If not, someone can help with that. Steps in brief are:
    1. Check your build--

Not on build number HMJ37.01.5.0032 ???
    Search the Marketplace and install "Terminal Emulator" app by Jack Palevich and Learn how to boot your thrive into the proper mode.
    3. Make sure USB Debugging is checked "on"
    4. Get ADB working on your PC so it recognizes the Thrive for adb and fastboot operations
    5. Run the Easy Flash Tool to root (batch script runs with a click and walks you through steps and choices); then run it again to install ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Put choice of rom on SD card and run from CWM
    7. Run a rooter file if you ran a newer (0011 0r 3.2) rom that does not include root.

Most of these steps were copied from the noob guide which you have read. There are specific procedures (along with pictures) to accomplish each--after adb drivers are installed, booting into fastboot is the most common procedure and will be repeated.
    It is A LOT of information which is why some take it one step (well my steps 1, 2, & 3 can be done at once) at a time. You don't have to do everything at once.
    Good luck.

EDIT: Conflicting posts will always be around when reading the "history" of the development. There's been A LOT of history in the development department here. The noob guide has taken all (or most) of that into account. Go with it; ignore other posts you've read that seem to conflict.

Last edited by rhea; 11-20-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: comments on conflicting posts
    lastcatspike likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    okay, thanks for the replies. i'll look at the rooting/noobies post again.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Me too i' m lookin for a simple guide...for me it's the first device wirh android...so i fear to brik it

Inviato dal mio AT100 usando Tapatalk

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i reread the guide. it is missing info, and i cannot find the info i want with a search. so, i'll ask here.

"If you have an earlier build number on your Thrive, the first thing you should do is try to use the Toshiba Service Station to update to HMJ37.01.5.0032 "

i have build 0018. but i see no step-by-step guide to doing this, and according to the
    service station app, it wants to install android 3.2, which seems to be a no-no for
    rooting. where do i find the tutorial?

also, there is mention of the terminal emulation program, but it seems to say this is
    optional- just for learning--- but does not explain if i download this and run it on
    the thrive, or if it is for my xp pc to use, nor does it say what/how i'm supposed to use
    it for- i mean, what does a terminal emulation program have to do with learning how
    to boot into the correct mode on the thrive? the rooting tutorial already seems to
    describe how to boot in to the boot choices mode... and if by "terminal emulator" we
    are talking about a program that lets me directly connect with a server (which i have
    used before and have not needed to do in many years), can someone explain why?

"Please do a complete system backup before installing this ROM" from dalenet. how do i do
    this? again, i do not see any tutorial in a search.

i do not see a link for downloading the terminal emulator, only a note to search the "android"?
    marketplace for it and then install it. where can i download it from? the market will only
    let me install, not download.

thanks.
    Last edited by mda; 11-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Forget about the terminal emulator. It is not needed. Download my Easy Flash Tool and follow the instructions to get ADB driver loaded on you PC. To load any ROM, you have to load ClockWorkMod as a minimum, but if you do not root first, the stock ROM will replace ClockWorkMod with the stock recovery. If you do not root, you need to be holding down the vol up button when the device is rebooted. This will take you back into recovery. If you miss this and let the device boot up even to the starry lights screen, ClockWorkMod will be replaced and you will have to start all over again. Now, as far as ROMs, you can load any of my ROMs, but I would recommend the OOM Rooted HTK55D.31.5.0002 HC 3.2.1 ROM. Do not update with the Service Station. If you still have problems, just ask.
    lastcatspike likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Ads