• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rooting the Thrive Step By Step

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Rooting the Thrive Step By Step

Leave your Thrive disconnected from USB until instructed to plug it in.

Enable USB Debug Mode

In Settings, go to Applications > Development > USB Debugging. Make sure that is checked.

Download and Run the DOS Batch Script to Root

Download the latest DOS Batch Script
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/1974-root-tool-dos-batch-script-thrive-root.html

Connect your Thrive by USB, and when prompted to install drivers, choose the ADB drivers located inside the ZIP package. If you are not prompted for drivers, ensure that you enabled USB Debugging mode.

Now, run the Thrive Easy Flash Tool batch file (thrive_easy_flash_tool.bat). Choose option 1 to Root your device. And follow the onscreen instructions.

It really is as simple as that to root your Thrive, so don't be scared to dive in, and enjoy the benefits of a rooted Thrive.

I realize these instructions may seem simple to the vets here, but for those of us new, there is so much information our there (not a bad thing at all ) that it can be a challenge to find the right procedure.
    NCTurner and rhea like this.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Great post.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    So, you are saying I do not need a micro sd like I did when I rooted my Nook?

I have been toying with idea. But, I love Tucker so much, I would hate to hurt him. How easy is it to unroot?

Age is only a number and I lost count.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1948 times
    Well first off, the Thrive uses a full size sd card, not a micro sd card. Unless you are using an adapter, but it is still a full size sd. To answer you, no, not to root or to load a ROM either. As for is it easy to unroot. Yes, same way as it is to root. At worst, I have a fully stock ROM you can load. That will truly unroot it. Enjoy.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Hi, please excuse me for the very basic, elemental question;

Do I only need to install the Windows USB drivers included with the Easy-Root tool
    or I need to install the complete Android SDK and the Java JDK to be able to root my Thrive?

Thanks.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1948 times
    You do NOT need the Android SDK or JAva unless you are going to develope apps. All you need is the drivers in the easy flash package.
    iandyT likes this.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Sorry for the double post, and Thanks for your answer.

Will try later today after work.

Thanks.
    Last edited by iandyT; 09-19-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This is kind of neat. I will have to look into trying this when I have the time to sit down and mess with it. I just got my thrive a few weeks ago and I'm sort of nervous about doing something like this to it, though...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    FWIW, SteelRush is correct. Once you get the drivers, follow prompts on the DOS EasyFlash Tool. However, I ran into a problem (which Paul said was normal and which I'd forgotten after all the retries playing with my Pandigital novel a year ago), and the installation just hung. I reviewed bilgediver's (welcome back to terra firma) video and saw that my experience was different. At that point, I ran the script again, installed ClockWorkMod recovery, ran a backup of what I had (it's one of the built-in functions of CWM), then installed (another of the built-in functions of CWM) the DaleNet Stock Rooted 0032 ROM. To me, this was very easy and fast. With CWM I can install other zip files and future roms (like the ones that will be created when any updates roll out) easily. Just be aware that all may not go perfectly the first time. My tablet was never put out of commission during any of the "tries." I LOVE what these generous programmers and experienced forum members have done for us.
    lbyer123 likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1948 times
    Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy.
    My Development

Ads