• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Apps That Are Safe To Remove

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times

Apps That Are Safe To Remove

Now That I am Finally Rooted Thanks To Every One In Here . I Started Deleting Apps That I don`t Need Anymore And Will Keep The
    Tablet Running .If anyone knows any app that is useless please feel free to add . I started with that Kapersky , all the poker games , need for speed ,log me in .
    Last edited by Hookmeup; 08-25-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Motorola Photon 4G ,Yes Baby It Is Rooted
    Toshiba Thrive FINALLY ROOTED YEAAAAAAAAAH
    Windows 7 On A HP Laptop

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    none of them are "safe" to remove. They will prevent your OTA from working. But if that isn't an issue. than all are safe.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I removed Kaspersky before the 0032 update. Unrooted my Thrive, got the OTA and then rerooted. I too have removed all the other unnecessary apps that came with it. Guess I'll find out if I need to reinstall the stock rom at the next update if those programs are necessary for the OTA.
    Hookmeup likes this.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I got rid of all the bloatware except for the card games (since I play those) like 3 weeks ago or so, no issue at all.

There is no reason to unroot to update, just wait a few hours after the update is released for one of the devs to get a rooted system image up and use CWM to apply it, did both the 29 and 32 updates that way.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    -Rooted Toshiba Thrive
    -Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    There really is no way to know since we do not know before hand what the update will patch and /or replace. I do think it may be safe to remove the third party software, but the Toshiba apps are another question. I know we received an update for the Apps Place app, but it was a stand alone update. The update will not fail if an app that is not present is not being updated, but root will cause the update to fail. Also, having ClockWorkMod recovery loaded will cause the update to fail. All of this is reversable, so it is not the end of the world if you are rooted and have changed your device. As a matter of fact, with patience, you will be rewarded with ROM updates from the devs for the new update. No fuss, no issue. Enjoy.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I should have clarified, I deleted the apps that weren't Toshiba related. I too left those as I was thinking that Toshiba would be looking for those in their updates.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Before I started deleting stuff I did a backup in CWM so I would have a good restore point in case I messed something up. Once that is done best way to do it is back everything up with Titanium, then use it to delete the apps, if you start having issues or want to reinstall, just restore it from the backup in Titanium. Also if you aren't sure about deleting an app, you could always use Titanium to freeze it.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hlb3; 08-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    -Rooted Toshiba Thrive
    -Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I also removed Kaspersky and the Hardwood games about a week ago without any issues. I have backups if I need to re-install them, but when there is a system update, I will probably wait for one of the rooted roms are updated since I wouldn't want to be without root.
    Aloha from Hawaii,
    Richard

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I Just remember I took off that start here garbage by toshiba ,I have a question what is the difference on 0029 and 0032 ,I have 0029 do I need to update or they are 2 different types of software ?
    Motorola Photon 4G ,Yes Baby It Is Rooted
    Toshiba Thrive FINALLY ROOTED YEAAAAAAAAAH
    Windows 7 On A HP Laptop

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookmeup View Post
    I Just remember I took off that start here garbage by toshiba ,I have a question what is the difference on 0029 and 0032 ,I have 0029 do I need to update or they are 2 different types of software ?
    You really should. It is a fix for SOD and reboot issues on some devices. Some have seen better performance too.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Ads