• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ADB (commands) for Dummies...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times

ADB (commands) for Dummies...

This is just a simple guide thread on how to run adb commands whose title was inspired by the popular yellow book series. If you find any mistakes, just PM me and I'll get them fixed. The following are merely examples and will likely require adaption to be useful for your application.

PLEASE NOTE: A computer with the Android SDK and the USB cable that cable with your THRiVE are needed to issue ADB commands. This guide assumes you already have ADB working on your computer. An "Installing ADB for dummies" thread doesn't exist but there are several threads on how to do so. This one is an example: Got ADB working...

adb devices (this lets you know what devices are attached to the computer in usb debugging mode)

How to get your logcat (this will put your logcat in txt format in your sdk tools folder)

adb logcat > logcat.txt

Copy an app from your phone to your computer

adb pull /system/app/myapp.apk C:\myapps

Replace myapp.apk with the app your pulling also replace ateam with the folder your placing the app in

Install an app from your computer on your phone

adb install myapp.apk

Push an app from your computer to your phones filesystem (in some cases also installs)

adb remount
    adb push myapp.apk /system/app

Remove an app from your phone

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app

This will change your directory to system/app but may also change to another folder instead, of course

ls -a

A list will show of all the apps inside your system app folder

rm myapp.*

Replace the myapp.* with the name of a apk you want to remove

Get your current battery level

adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity
    Last edited by epakrat75; 08-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Thanks for the commands. Very helpful and should be a sticky for sure!
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks!
    Very useful.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Awesome! So this is what ADB is.... Guess I'll root my other phone. My computer strangely cannot detect my old buddy here. (not old, a month and a half..)
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    nice.
    one suggestion...
    change your disk to system/app => change your *directory* to system/app

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Thanks! Very nice list of useful commands

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Twitter
    Don't
    Since this is for dummies (like me), here's a particular example of using epakrat's tips to accomplish that most desirable of goals: killing Kaspersky Malware.

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app
    mv KAVForTablets.apk KAVForTablets.apk_uninstalled

This keeps the Kaspersky Malware app on your machine, but kills it dead (the system doesn't know its new name, so can't launch it). Keeping it around in this uninstalled form may be a good idea, in case a future update chokes because it can't find the file.

BTW, as soon as you issue the 'mv' command, above, your Thrive will start throwing up an endless series of OHMYGOD! warnings about the process being interrupted, like its the end of the world or something. Fear not. Just issue one more adb command:

adb reboot
    (alternatively I suppose you could just reboot the old-fashioned way, by hand).

When your device reboots Kaspersky Malware will still be uninstalled, you won't get any more warning messages, and those annoying 'K' and warning icons in your system tray will be gone (YAAAAY!!!!!!).

Suck on that, Boris Badenov!

Sadly, there is no adb command for not merely killing Kaspersky Malware, but actually drawing and quartering it and feasting on its entrails before its horrified eyes.
    Last edited by DeeDawg; 08-19-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    epakrat75 and techelec like this.
    It's anybody's guess whether I'm rooted or unrooted today. Lately I've been back and forth so many times I'm losing track...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDawg View Post
    Since this is for dummies (like me), here's a particular example of using epakrat's tips to accomplish that most desirable of goals: killing Kaspersky Malware.

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app

This keeps the Kaspersky Malware app on your machine, but kills it dead (the system doesn't know its new name, so can't launch it). Keeping it around in this uninstalled form may be a good idea, in case a future update chokes because it can't find the file.

BTW, as soon as you issue the 'mv' command, above, your Thrive will start throwing up an endless series of OHMYGOD! warnings about the process being interrupted, like its the end of the world or something. Fear not. Just issue one more adb command:

adb reboot

When your device reboots Kaspersky Malware will still be uninstalled, you won't get any more warning messages, and those annoying 'K' and warning icons in your system tray will be gone (YAAAAY!!!!!!).

Sadly, there is no adb command for not merely killing Kaspersky Malware, but actually drawing and quartering it and feasting on its entrails before its horrified eyes.
    I find your post to be highly funny.
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    "command for not merely killing Kaspersky Malware, but actually drawing and quartering it and feasting on its entrails before its horrified eyes."

nice... proof that geeks can be very imaginative.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDawg View Post

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app

adb reboot

One word of warning. If you activated this be sure to go into applications and delete its data before uninstalling. I had issues because it had times out and was buging me. Deleting the data will clear this up.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads