• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By danvee

Thread: New Tablets coming with KitKat?

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times

New Tablets coming with KitKat?

Any word from our Developer's about KitKat and it working with our Thrive 101?

Just notice a new tablet (can't remember which one) having Kit Kat!
    Dennis
    Dennis

DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    "In Memory of my wife Donna"

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Not likely.
    Getting JB up and running was a kludge as per Pio_Masaki.
    Had to use bits of ICS as our CPU wasn't any longer supported.
    Sad part is that KK is supposed to work better on a smaller memory/slower CPU device than previous, making it ideal for the Thrive.
    I doubt if they opened it up for use in more "legacy" devices like ours.
    Have to see what Pio_Masaki thinks if/when he looks at the code.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I'm afraid I agree with Danvee -- Support for the Tegra 2 has been removed from the new versions of Android, so getting them to work on our Thrives is nothing short of a miracle. Pio put a significant amount of work in to get JB working. Last I heard, he no longer has a Thrive to work with, so I don't see Kit Kat getting ported....
    Keepin' my Thrive Alive: DalePL's Rooted ICS 4.0.4 with Pio's Melchoir 2.4 kernel
    (16GB 10" Thrive; AnTuTu score 7815)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieuallen View Post
    I'm afraid I agree with Danvee -- Support for the Tegra 2 has been removed from the new versions of Android, so getting them to work on our Thrives is nothing short of a miracle. Pio put a significant amount of work in to get JB working. Last I heard, he no longer has a Thrive to work with, so I don't see Kit Kat getting ported....
    Well It wouldn't be a miracle if it was ported. There are many Tegra 2 250 tablets and phones running unofficial builds of 4.4.4 omnirom, paranoid android, cm11..etc. Like the Acer Iconia A500.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Porting is one thing, hardware support is another.
    If the Devs have to keep using remnants of ICS as a kludge for the Tegra 2, it'll likely cause more issues going forward with apps.
    Frankly, unless you're going to learn coding yourself, (you'll note that there's little support, ROM-wise, for the Thrive and other Tegra 2 devices) chances are really slim.
    In its heyday, the Thrive had only a few developers working on/with it.
    Now, it's a legacy item at best....

Not going to be holding my breath. It might be fun as an intellectual process and exercise, but I don't see any reward beyond that in trying to crowbar KitKat into working on our devices.
    rosalie and hodgestl like this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Remove Ads

Ads