• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Webcam project for the Devs...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Webcam project for the Devs...

I know the question has been asked before, but I'm going to ask again because I'm pretty certain it can be done. The reason I say this is because I've seen it work (to an extent) on a Toshiba Folio. I don't believe it would be too hard to do. If I knew anything about the android system, I'd try it myself. But alas, I'm a dolt when it comes to this system.

So, here's the request. Getting an external USB webcam to work on the Thrive. I've done a bit of research and some testing on my own. It appears that a special kernel is not necessary to do this because the stock kernel in 4.0.4 has what it needs to recognize and run a UVC compliant webcam.

Using USB Host Diagnostics, I've found that the USB host recognizes and identifies the Microsoft Lifecam I've connected to the Thrive. It also understands the camera's capabilities and assigns it a device number (8)

The video I mentioned on the Folio can be found at External USB cam on Android 4.0.4 with Toshiba folio 100 - YouTube . The poster said he used CM9 to achieve using the webcam. However, I've seen another video by a Japanese Developer that just uses the stock 4.0.4 system with a tweak to some files. You can find that here USB devices with android : Kanamaru Lab. in Kogakuin Univ. . In both cases however, you couldn't do anything with the video. You couldn't take photos or record video, so, what was the point?

So, what I'm thinking is that there should be a way to disable the Thrive's front facing Camera and replace it with the Webcam, somehow giving the webcam the same device number as the front facing camera. This should allow the use of regular camera apps to control (or at least record from) the webcam.

Why would I like this capability? I'm an amateur Astronomer and use webcams to take video through my telescopes. These videos are processed later into single photographs of the objects I was interested in. I currently do this with a laptop, but it's a bit cumbersome. Being able to use my Thrive for this purpose would be wonderful. I can see where this could be useful for a lot of other things as well.

My Thrive is rooted and running dalepl's deodexed 4.0.4 ROM.

So, any takers?

Thanks for looking!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven1 View Post
    I know the question has been asked before, but I'm going to ask again because I'm pretty certain it can be done. The reason I say this is because I've seen it work (to an extent) on a Toshiba Folio. I don't believe it would be too hard to do. If I knew anything about the android system, I'd try it myself. But alas, I'm a dolt when it comes to this system.

So, here's the request. Getting an external USB webcam to work on the Thrive. I've done a bit of research and some testing on my own. It appears that a special kernel is not necessary to do this because the stock kernel in 4.0.4 has what it needs to recognize and run a UVC compliant webcam.

Using USB Host Diagnostics, I've found that the USB host recognizes and identifies the Microsoft Lifecam I've connected to the Thrive. It also understands the camera's capabilities and assigns it a device number (8)

The video I mentioned on the Folio can be found at External USB cam on Android 4.0.4 with Toshiba folio 100 - YouTube . The poster said he used CM9 to achieve using the webcam. However, I've seen another video by a Japanese Developer that just uses the stock 4.0.4 system with a tweak to some files. You can find that here USB devices with android : Kanamaru Lab. in Kogakuin Univ. . In both cases however, you couldn't do anything with the video. You couldn't take photos or record video, so, what was the point?

So, what I'm thinking is that there should be a way to disable the Thrive's front facing Camera and replace it with the Webcam, somehow giving the webcam the same device number as the front facing camera. This should allow the use of regular camera apps to control (or at least record from) the webcam.

Why would I like this capability? I'm an amateur Astronomer and use webcams to take video through my telescopes. These videos are processed later into single photographs of the objects I was interested in. I currently do this with a laptop, but it's a bit cumbersome. Being able to use my Thrive for this purpose would be wonderful. I can see where this could be useful for a lot of other things as well.

My Thrive is rooted and running dalepl's deodexed 4.0.4 ROM.

So, any takers?

Thanks for looking!
    Well I don't have that webcam, or even one at all for that matter, but have you only tried this on a stock kernel? My kernels have additional device support, it may be all that's needed. Next, have you tried disconnecting the thrives camera then using the webcam? It's a simple enough process as its right by the battery, it may use the webcam the way you wanted instead as it would be replacing it.

Android is flexible, but in some ways it's very simple and fixed, some things simply can not be done, recording with an external camera may be one, but looking at other devices may help also. Taking into consideration a tv tuner is perfectly usable on these, no one has figured out how to actually use it, android just may not be there yet.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks Pio,

Tried it today with the front camera disconnected. No luck. Camera app just flat out crashed and others I tried hung. So which of your ROM's do you suggest I try? CM10 or BlackBean?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven1 View Post
    Thanks Pio,

Tried it today with the front camera disconnected. No luck. Camera app just flat out crashed and others I tried hung. So which of your ROM's do you suggest I try? CM10 or BlackBean?
    It most likely wont matter as they essentially the same base for all the JB Roms, but the cm10 rom likely has more support for odd things lol
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Ha! Got a mostly working USB webcam going on my Thrive! Thanks to the work done here Snapping pictures with Webcam | droidperception . His .apk requires SU permission so you must be rooted and have SU. The app allows you to take pictures from the webcam as well. Now if he could get video recording going, I'd be a REALLY happy guy!
    panda, pio_masaki and zires like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    447 times
    Awesome, thanks for the link! This'll be great for my Nexus 7 too.
    Frequent pilferer of wife's Thrive 10, currently sporting Pio's Kuroikaze Shinka B25.
    Nexus 7 owner and eternal Commodore enthusiast.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Was hoping in its current state that I could use it as a backing Camera for my Motor Home. Unfortunately, Android won't recognize my powered USB Extension cable. Also working on being able to use the stock camera app with the camera. Its' been done, and I've tried the modification I found that worked for someone else, but no luck on my Thrive. Sooo close!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I just stumbled on something a little more elegant and WAY more useful. You still need to be rooted and have SU. You will also need something like Root Explorer that has a built in text editor.

Go to system/etc In there, look for nvcamera.conf. Make sure you set the mount to r/w first. Open the nvcamera.conf in the editor. Comment out the front camera with a #. Add a new line at the end of the file. USB=/dev/video0

Save the file. After saving, set its permissions to rw rw r

You will lose the use of the front camera but gain the use of a UVC compliant USB webcam in its place. The beauty of this is that other apps see the USB webcam as the front camera and can use it. Even for recording!

The Simplewebcam app I mentioned earlier also has to change the permissions of the webcam to allow it to work and isn't persistent. That app gives the permissions each time it's run. This new method appears to eliminate that need.

I expect this will work on any ROM 4.0.1 and up. If you find it doesn't work for you, I'm currently running CM10 Exhaulted Elephant. Maybe that's part of it too. All I know is that this works and I can now take pics and video with my MS Lifecam! Freakin' awesome!
    Last edited by Driven1; 04-30-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Oaklands, rosalie, panda and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Thanks for the very useful information.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    That is useful information. I Stickied the thread for awhile.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads