• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: The CM10.1 Thread

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

The CM10.1 Thread

This is now the CM10.1 (and 4.2 in general) General thread, its not a development thread really, more a gathering place for CM10.1 progress and 4.2 general chat, same as before.

10.1 is still a heavy work in progress, both from me and from the CM team, as such the state of this project is in heavy flux.

I don't plan to release a build yet, though even for a first build it's actually in really good shape. There's still two hurdles before I consider putting out a build:

Wifi (ethernet works though not everyone has an adapter) (Fixed ty t1nk and xyler)
    External SD must work.

If I can get those two things going I'll think about putting up a build.

For those who are impatient and just GOT to have the latest broken toy, PM me and I'll set you up, but you MUST be on TWRP 2.3.2.3! If you aren't you'll need dale to roll you back to get off 4.2 at all.

Project progression will be in post 2.

-------------------Depreciated--------------------

Well I just noticed 4.2 is available, pulling it in now. I did notice something that I'm not real sure is good news for us though:

"-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
    continue using 4.1.2. "

This is a quote from Jean-Baptiste M. Queru, technical lead for AOSP (Google for those who don't know)

While this doesn't mean much in and of itself, they're obviously limiting older device support this round, as some may know the Xoom was the unofficial adopted AOSP 10" tablet, and of course being a tegra2 based (though a different variant board and cpu to ours) meant we had something to work with alongside the TF101 devs. This lack of support outright may hamper this quite a bit. This quote was taken from here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/android-building/-ymcoMuDAbA

Now I don't want to read to far into this (or anyone else). This does not mean they will never support the devices, they may in the future. It also doesn't mean people won't work around it and get 4.2 working on older devices like ours, the TF101 and the Xoom. It just means it may take longer this time. Randomblame of XDA and the Iconia A500 (who I tend to bounce ideas off of and is the second biggest inspiration to my work) has already got it booting on his A500, which means its entirely possible, of course. For those who are not familiar with this tablet, its a tegra2 based 10" tablet also, and the a100 is partially responsible for a lot of the progress made on the Thrive. Randomblame hammering out 4.2 is good news for us, for certain, and will likley hold the key for 4.2 progression on the Thrive as I'll likely work with him for a bit of this.

So, what does this all mean for us Thrive owners?

As before, its hard to say. I'll try (and if tybar and jbettcher come back the chances increase 500%) to get 4.2 working, but in all likely hood, it will never function as well as CM10 will. There has been even MORE changes to the way storage is handled, and if they messed with the cameras or audio again, it'll put us back to square one where we were with CM10 a month or two ago.

So, I'm pulling in the sources, as its AOSP based it'll require alot of work to get the trees into shape for a pure AOSP build. I'll start working on it, but I make no promises, and can offer no eta on when a bootable build will even occur, let alone be released.

Ok, I said what I wanted to say, this thread can now turn into a speculation/wish list/ideas/dev thread. Consider this a general 4.2 thread to discuss anything you wish. I'd prefer it doesn't turn into a jellybean flame war, though I know opinions will be expressed in either direction, lets try to keep it civil, and our skins a little thicker this round. I'll also make a second post to hold FAQS and/or updates as they occur (or come up in the thread). I'm sure if we all work together again we can have this beast running 4.2.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 12-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    I present CM10.1 for the Thrive (AT100/AT105/10")

The Downloads:
    CM10.1 Build 4 version 5
    CM10.1 build 5
    4.2 Gapps for use with CM10.1 for Thrive

The Instructions
    First and foremost, you MUST be on TWRP 2.3.2.3 or HIGHER, NO OTHER RECOVERY!
    If you flash on another recovery it will flash fine, however you will be STUCK on 4.2, you will NOT be able to return to anything else without losing portions of /data!
    Find TWRP Recovery here: TWRP 2.3.2.3 Recovery flashable installer
    Find the TWRP Thread here: TWRP recovery thread
    The thread contains files for moving to and from TWRP recovery on your thrive via fastboot OR just flashing in current custom recovery (TWRP/CWM)

Read above again! You will need to be rolled back to recover if you do not use TWRP 2.3.2.3!

1. FULL backup!

2. FULL WIPE! Don't even THINK of dirty flashing this!
    *System
    *Factory Reset
    *Cache
    *Dalvik Cache
    These can all be found in the Wipe menu

3. You wiped, right?

4. You installed TWRP 2.3.2.3, right?

5. Install CM10.1-b4-5.zip

6. DO NOT install Gapps yet! reboot and let system boot for up to 10 minutes!

7. Let system sit for 10 minutes after the GUI comes up.

8. Hold down power, then reboot, recovery

9. Flash Gapps

10. After flash completes, hit the wipe cache/dalvik button on the lower left

11. Reboot

12. Allow to boot to GUI (setup wizard) and let sit for 5 more minutes.

13. Proceed with setting up and enjoying your device.

NOTES
    I really suggest NOT restoring with TiBu or any other app restoring device. Start fresh, download from the Play Store.

BT does NOT work, and continually tries to run causing high CPU load which causes MAX Frequency to be run at all times. To stop this use airplane mode. Does not affect airplane mode while on Ethernet.

When you put it to sleep it will continue to run full frequency and not deep sleep, using airplane mode prior to putting it to sleep will allow it to act normally and deep sleep and conserve battery.

High CPU load can and does affect media playback and gaming, for best performance either use the 1.4 GHz setting and hope it smooths out OR again turn on airplane mode.

External SD mounts with a dirty trick in an init.d script, it just runs a manual mounting. It mounts to /storage/sdcard1 this time. Internal mounts to sdcard0. If you happen to see external_sd instead (may occur in some apps) that is also external_sd. I need to clean up the mounting for init a bit, sections are taken from various sources to patch it together.

Things to test (if you would please)
    GPS
    Dock
    HDMI
    MIC/audio in general

Things to hunt for fixes to help me along

Whatever else is broken that you find fixes or workarounds for.

Huge thanks to t1nk for the wpa_supplicant work around and now an almost non stop barrage of workarounds
    Huge thanks to xyler for finding what may have caused the wpa_supplicant work around to even be needed.

Status of 4.2 builds for the Thrive:

CM10.1:

Working
    Boots
    GUI
    UI Acceleration
    USB Ethernet
    Sound (internal speakers)
    Internal SD
    Touch
    ADB
    Cameras (no sphere) and up to 720p
    WiFi (tyanks to t1nk and xyler)
    USB Mounting (mounts USB drives on the Thrive)
    Auto Brightness
    Media Acceleration
    External SD (legit now)
    GPS
    Multi User support now implemented
    Keyboard no longer crashes every 2 seconds (on proper 4.2.2 gapps)
    Bluetooth
    Headphone jack

Broken
    USB Storage (MTP/mounting device on PC)
    External sd can still be twitchy
    Streaming playback is choppy (YouTube HQ, etc)

Untested
    HDMI video/audio
    Dock audio/HDMI/anything

Current as of Build 5 5-15-13

AOSP 4.2:

Working
    Boots
    UI
    Touch
    Ethernet LAN via USB
    WiFi
    Audio out via speakers
    UI Acceleration
    Internal SD

Broken
    BT
    GPS
    External SD
    Camera (will never work on Pure AOSP builds)

Untested
    USB Mounting
    USB Storage
    HDMI video or audio
    Everything else not listed in working or broken

Current as of Build S7 1-28-2013

UPDATE

4-08-13 = New feature added in Build 5 (CM10.1) which is auto brightness settings, meaning you can adjust auto brightness now.

Rundown on setting this for those who have never seen this kind of setting before:

In this screen you'll see a bunch of sliders, left is dimmer, right is brighter. You can't move a slider higher then the next higher slider's setting, so you may even want to work backwards, brighter environment is at the bottom, dimmer is at the top, so work from the bottom up.

For a guide of what the current environment is look at the very top left of this setting screen for a current lux setting as reported by the device, as you move it around to various lighting environments this will increase, you can then set the slider for that range, example:

In my office its reported as ~13 lux, it's to dim for my taste and I wish to increase it, for this we'll look at the slider range that includes 13 lux, in this case its the second down, 5 - 15, move this to the right and it will increase up to the setting that the next brightest level is set for, 15-50. You must then increase this range higher if its still to dim, moving 15-50 to the right, then moving 5-15 more to the right until you find what you like. When you're finished click on accept, or if you messed it all up, hit reset, or if you don't want to, hit cancel. It reports in percentage of backlight output, 0-100%, so if you know approx where you like it from doing it manually, this will help. Mine looks something like this:

100 for the rest

If you don't like it flickering and dimming and brightening a lot, keep the gaps smaller, 5% increases won't usually show to much fluctuation, as you can see I kept most to 10% or so for changes, this way it doesn't annoy me moving back and forth to much if the sensor is right in between two ranges. The ranges can also be adjust, however the default should suffice for most users who wish to spend time perfecting their auto brightness settings.

The GOODIES! (trees to build)

4.2 CM10.1 device tree
    4.2 CM10.1 vendor tree
    4.2 CM10.1 kernel source
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 05-15-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Pio -- of possible interest: Core Android 4.2 Apps and Gapps on Any Jelly Bean Device – xda-developers

I flashed that a few days ago on top of BB U2 -- most ran okay ... some of the UI changes were cool ... the new
    camera app kinda worked but the resolution was terrible and eventually it froze the tablet.

I wiped everything and am happy with CC U3 for the time being.
    warrmk likes this.
    Toshiba Thrive 10" My Setup | TWRP 2.4.1.0 | Kuroikaze Shinka B25 | Balthesaur 2.8 kernel
    • Favorite Apps: Go Launcher HD, Solid Explorer, Wifi Transfer Pro, Dice Video Player, Music Folder Player, CoPilot Live (USA), Screenshot UX, Kingston Office
    • Favorite Games: Robo Defense, Riptide, Guerrilla Bob, Asphalt 6, Six Guns, Demolition Inc, Temple Run, World of Goo, Helidroid 3D, Killer Bean

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times

re: The CM10.1 Thread

What ever you can do will be fine. CM 10 is pretty brilliant. The only issue I have with my thrive now is the sleep of death. If i can ever get that fixed I will be pretty satisfied with my old tab. 4.2 would be nice but I'm thankful we have the rom you guys provided for us.

Life is better with root and our brilliant Devs
    dandroid7, rosalie and loner like this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    For sure! Your work with cm10 is incredible! To even be thinking of going after this is down right amazing. Pio, you are a miracle worker. Thanks man.
    jorge505 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Pio, I for one will monitor this thread and do what is necessary to keep the flaming extinguished.
    Thank you for once again putting in so much effort to advance the abilities of the Thrive, It benefits both the members and the Forum itself. ^5
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    262 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    "I am a nice shark, not a monstrous eating machine. Forumites are friends, not food"
    "Except stinkin' trolls."
    "Trolls, yeah! They think they are so smart. 'Look at me, I'm a grinnin' little troll! Let me start a flamewar for you! Ain't I somethin'?'"

Seriously, though, help keep this place awesome!

And Burrman says : Good thing I have not acquired a taste for cats!

Well, so am I. You just brightened my week, made that kernel dev stress worth it.
    Well, I guess it's official I'm Catman now?
    Last edited by AmEv; 11-13-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Have a desire to throw money at my screen? Don't. Nothing'll happen. Use PayPal instead!
    Are you "thriving" for Ubuntu, and/or a Tegra 2 expert? I need your help! I've hit developer's block!
    Got OTA ICS? Want root? Go here!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    "I am a nice shark, not a monstrous eating machine. Forumites are friends, not food"
    "Except stinkin' trolls."
    "Trolls, yeah! They think they are so smart. 'Look at me, I'm a grinnin' little troll! Let me start a flamewar for you! Ain't I somethin'?'"

Seriously, though, help keep this place awesome!
    Bahaha if my son didn't make me watch that movie 9001 times I would have missed that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1290 times

The key is to report posts, not engage the poster. Simply let us deal with them and remember, this is not a developer's collaboration thread like the initial CM10 thread was, so discussion is welcome and there shouldn't be that many problems. However, if pio starts a collaboration thread, that is the one that will need close moderation. There again though, undesirable posts should be reported rather than engaged.

Cheers, Dave
    rosalie, abonet and loner like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Yes its my intention for this to be a more general 4.2 thread, not a strictly dev related thing. I just know that sometimes opinions can be taken the wrong way at times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads