• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 174 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree469Likes

Thread: The All Inclusive CM10 General Thread

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

The All Inclusive CM10 General Thread

As we've been getting a huge load in Tybar's CM10 dev thread, and as mentioned to me (more then once) that we may need a different thread to handle all NON Dev related content. I was waiting to see if tybar would do this, however life has him otherwise occupied, as does JBettcher, so I felt I should get it going for us all to use right now.

For now this is simply a place holder until I can get the general guidelines up, including guides for installation, usage, various tips, tricks, FAQs, working apps/hardware, everything not directly related to the CM10 Unified project. Please feel free to go ahead and post any NON Dev related content here, I will update the posts as I have time to to try and make this a 1 stop shop for anyone looking to run CM10 on their Thrive, new or old.

This thread WILL BE noob friendly! As seen in the dev thread, we were aimed more at the dev side of things, and showed little to no patience for noob or non dev related posting, this will NOT be the case here! I apologize for some of the things that occured in that thread, and I didn't help matters much, if at all, and I aim to correct this here and now.

Feel free to post any comments, advice, tips, questions, and do so without fear of flaming, being labeled or being ignored, any such posts will be dealt with.

Who's involved in the Unified Project?
    tybar
    jbettcher
    pio_masaki
    Indest

The Screenshots:
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-01-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-01-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-09-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-10-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-03-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-04-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-04-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-04-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-10-18-03-22.jpg
    *screen shots are of Unified Build 3
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 11-28-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: screenies
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Useful Links

Headphone audio may not work, if that happens flash this in recovery courtesy of Indest

If you are having issues with your speaker/headphone/mic levels being to low download this app and then install it, crank all levels up to max, uninstall the app, then test. Be sure to only raise the bar levels, do NOT hit apply, just raise the levels up and then uninstall the app! You may need to reboot after uninstalling it.

CM10 Wiki - Courtesy of Indest
    (Provided out of pocket by him, please consider a donation for his hosting)
    The CM10 for Thrive Wiki
    Contains all up to date information on the current CM10 for Thrive project started by tybar, also includes a discussions page with a FAQ and installation instructions for CWM and TWRP recoveries. Instructions assume an already rooted and unlocked bootloader device.

CM10 Development Thread - Courtesy of Tybar
    CM10 Development Thread by Tybar
    The initial thread for CM10 development for the Thrive, meant for development purposes only, general posting and questions should be directed to this General Thread.

DaleNet Thrive Universal easy flash tool - Couresty of dalepl
    DaleNet Thrive Universal easy flash tool
    Visit this thread to get the tool to make rooting your Thrive easy as can be. Will root, unlock your bootloader and install CWM Recovery. A must have tool.

Useful Downloads:

Balthesaur 2.75 Linaro NO OC Kernel
    A requested kernel build, useful for those who wish to run a stock speed kernel but retain the current kernel sources.

Team Win Recovery - TWRP - by pio_masaki
    A totally touch driven recovery, compatible with Aroma Installer (Ie, Pimp My ROM). This is the thread for it. Available in fastboot flashable img file or flashable recovery installer for use in switching with CWM, also has a CWM flashable installer available for easy switching back from TWRP to CWM whenever you wish.

ClockWorkMod Touch Recovery - by dalepl
    Thread concerning CWM Touch Recovery, please be sure to read this thread and pay special attention to the instructions given for the best possible use and safest experience.

Modifications: (unsupported by the CM10 Dev Team)
    Pimp My ROM - Aroma Installer based modder
    Installed the same as a ROM zip in recovery, allows modifications of the system for better speed, battery, performance, etc. Unsupported by the CM10 Dev team, however included as there are reports of increased performance after running this. Requires, for now, TWRP Recovery to be installed and used.

PDroid Patches contributed and tested by nokiae50
    Please visit the links hes provided:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1923576
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1719408
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=690

Alternate Builds: (supported only by the Developer/Builder, please see their thread for support)
    Kuroikaze-Thrive Jelly Bean Builds by pio_masaki
    Builds that closely mirror current CM10 work but are not strictly CM10 ROMs, may include mods and changes that may prove to be instable or break features or hardware, experimental. Support given in this thread only, not to be confused with the CM10 Project threads.

Also now includes a Paranoid Android build (not to be confused with the PDroid patches above)

*Note*

Kuroikaze-Shinka has been moved to its own thread in the pio_masaki section of the forums, you can find it here

Black Bean has been moved to its own thread in the pio_masaki section of the forums, you can find it here

Paranoid Android has been moved to its own thread in the pio_masaki section of the forums, you can find it here
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 02-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Do not partition or wipe the external SD or internal SD using Clockworkmod. Else, you will brick your device

Pre-requisits:

• Rooted Thrive (LINK)
    • ClockWorkMod recovery (custom recovery) (LINK) or TWRP Touch Recovery (custom recovery) (LINK)
    • External SD card with the latest

->ROM <CM10>.zip AND GAPPS (google apps) <gapps>.zip ->Both can be found on the main page of the wiki. Scroll down to the bottom for the download links Main Page
    • Patience

Installation/Flashing in CWM:

• Reboot into recovery(Power off-> hold (VOL + and POWER) ->use volume key to select the package icon, middle one->use power button to select)

Once in CWM, navigate using volume key and select using power key
    • Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"
    • Select "Wipe Cache Partition"
    • Select "Mounts and Storage" -> "Format /system"
    • Go back and Select "Advanced" -> "Wipe Dalvik Cache"

at this point you have cleared everything except your internal SD and external SD card we refer this to a Clean Flash/Install
    • Go back and Select "Install zip from SD card" -> "Choose zip from SD card"
    • Select the ROM with the .zip extension "<ROM NAME>.zip" that you downloaded
    • Select "YES Install <ROM NAME>.zip"
    • Give it 1-2 Mins to finish flashing the ROM
    • Now "Choose zip from SD card" Select the gapps with the .zip extension "<GAPPS NAME>.zip" i.e the Google apps zip that you downloaded
    • Select "YES Install <GAPPS NAME>.zip"
    • flashing will take roughly 5-15 seconds
    • Now go back till you see "Reboot Device" and select "Reboot Device"

Wait for some time (5-10 Mins) for the device to get to the Setup screen
    After setting up account, wait for the device to settle down, another 5-10 Mins Now you are free to use the device
    Installation/Flashing in TWRP:

• Reboot into recovery(Power off-> hold (VOL + and POWER) ->use volume key to select the package icon, middle one->use power button to select)

Once in TWRP, interface becomes fully touch operated, just like Android
    • Select Mounts, then make sure External SD is selected, press the check box next to Mount SDCard
    • Press the Home icon in the upper right screen to return to the Home menu screen
    • Tap on the Wipe button
    • Tap factory reset (this will NOT wipe internal or external SD cards). When finished tap the Back button when it appears
    • Tap System. At this point you can no longer boot Android until a restore is done or a ROM installed tap Home when this completes
    • Tap Install, it should place you into your External SD card. If not, on the left pane scroll to SDCard, and select it. Navigate to where you have your ROM and GAapps zip files
    • Tap on the CM10 rom zip. Tap the Add more zips button, select the Gapps zip
    • Swipe the button left to begin installation
    • Once completed, tap the Wipe Cache/Dalvik button, once done tap Reboot System

Wait for some time (5-10 Mins) for the device to finish booting and show the Setup screen. Leave it alone for 10+ minutes, then press and hold the power button, select Reboot, normal. After it reboots to the Setup screen again, leave it alone for 5 more minutes. Complete the Setup screens and proceed with restoring apps if you choose.
    Now you are free to use the device
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 11-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    FAQ

Q. What is a clean flash and a dirty flash? What do you recommend?

A. Wiping /data /cache /system and dalvik cache and then installing a new ROM is a Clean Flash. I personally prefer a clean flash. However, you can preform a dirty flash (a flash without clearing cache) if the existing ROM (on your device) has the same BASE and is made from the same developer that compiled the new ROM.

Note:

• If you are moving from a pre-unified build to a unified build please perform a clean flash.
    • NEVER report a bug unless you have done a clean flash and are able to reproduce the bug

Q. What about restoring data/apps/settings?

A. Generally speaking, restoring from Titanium Backup (or other app) is alright if moving from one base to another ROM of the same base. ICS to ICS. Moving from one base to another base, however is different. If moving from ICS to JB, there are generally guidelines to adhere to:

• When possible, download and install FRESH from the Play Store.
    • If not possible (ie app is no longer available) then restoring app ONLY may be alright.
    • Sometimes restoring app + data will be desirable, such as for games, do these one at a time and reboot after to check for side effects or abnormalities.
    • NEVER restore system apps! (red in Titanium Backup)
    • If you restore apps and data and notice random bugs not listed here, likely it was something you restored. Doing this negates the point of wiping before flashing, do a factory reset in recovery and check for the bug again. Restore any apps and/or data you restored one at a time until the bug shows again.

Q. What's wrong with Flash? Why is it broken / crashing / laggy / generally unusable?

A. Google and Adobe parted ways, as such Jelly Bean no longer supports Flash, this is Google's call. There are, I'm sure, workarounds for this to use Flash on JB ROMs, however this is entirely up to the user and is not supported nor recommended by the developers of this ROM. Use at your own risk.

Q. My Wi-Fi turns off when my tablet goes to sleep. How do I keep Wi-Fi on all the time?

A. To keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, go to setting, tap on Wi-Fi, tap icon on far top right of screen with three squares stacked on top of each other, tap advanced, tap on "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep", and tap on always. CAUTION: Doing this will drain your battery quicker. If you are having battery drain issues after changing settings please change back to Never.

Q. Why is Rotation in settings dimmed out?

A. This is a side effect of enabling the Hardware Rotation Lock Switch. It can't be changed post build, and must be set to True (Lock switch works) or False (Rotation settings are active, no Lock switch) prior to being built. To have both requires two builds, which is not feasible. There are apps available which supposedly help with this issue (lock screen won't rotate).

Q. How do I get the update notifications?

A. Install the Goo Manager app from the Play Store and you'll automatically receive ROM update notices as they become available. This is not required. You'll have the option to read the Change Log, download, and install. I suggest manually installing and clearing Cache and Dalvik every update, and if the change log mentions, a full wipe as needed.

Q. When will the Super Duper Awesomesauce drizzled modified ROM be released?

A. Second Tuesday of next week.

Q. Can you include this feature or make that option available?

A. This is a base CM10 ROM, not a modified custom CM10 ROM. If it isn't in CM10, it likely will not be added in by us. We will add certain features if they directly benefit all users but do not impact the usability or stability of the ROM. This is a BASE to work from, feel free to add and customise how you wish, all of our sources are available publicly online.

Q. I wish to donate, how is this done?
    You can do this in a few ways, on the wiki is a donate link which will donate to JBettcher's PayPal, as he has time he will distribute these funds evenly between the (as of now) 3 developers. Alternately if you wish to donate to a single person, you can contact them via PM for how to do so, some of us may have a donation link available to use in their signature. Please do not feel obligated in any way to donate, we do this of our own free will because we wanted to, while its certainly appreciated, never feel it is required or intimidated by others who may have donated before.

*update* Tybar and JBettcher are MIA, as such the donation link has been disabled on the wiki. JBettcher originally had the account the wiki donate link pointed to, and we haven't seen him in around a month, which is why we disabled it for the time being. If you still wish to donate to the team, please contact me and let me know if you would like to make a team donation, and I can split it up for you. Alternatively you can donate to any single developer you wish, of course.

Q. What happened to the memory usage bar in the recent apps panel?
    This was removed as CM made an upstream change to locate a "kill all" button where the bar resides. It's been removed from the builds starting in U4, and may or may not be added back in at a later date.

Q. How can I talk with a developer directly?
    I can only speak for myself, however if you wish direct one on one contact with me there are a few ways:
    • PM - of course you can simply PM me on the forums.
    • Thread - I subscribe and monitor all of my threads and threads I'm heavily involved in for instant notifications of activity (hence why I may seem to always be around) and check all of the latest posts on a pretty regular basis.
    • Email - If you choose you can email me directly, however a PM will serve the same purpose.
    • IRC - You can reach and chat with me (and whoever happens to be there, Indest, nokiae50, tybar and jbettcher if on and available) in #thrive-dev on the freenode network. Keep in mind I'm generally NOT at my computer, though I leave IRC logging and running. Chances are I won't answer here.
    • GTalk - Likely the best and fastest way to get a hold of me. I don't really have any set rules for this, it can be ROM related, a general thrive question, a chat about the meaning of life or just random bored chatter. Just keep in mind if I don't answer it's because I'm otherwise occupied but I'll respond when I can. If you would like to get in touch with me on GTalk, its my email used for this forum, or you can PM me and ask for my email address there, I don't want to go posting it on the forum.
    • Skype - While I do have Skype I rarely have it logged in, and only log in when I have a reason to be using it. GTalk is the more reliable way to get ahold of me, however if Skype is preferred, it can be arranged. PM me for this information. I'd rather not get on a Skype session so you can see my screen while I build a ROM, its boring, though if you REALLY want to watch code fly by for a few hours, go right ahead, I'll stick the nexus 7 in front of the monitor.

Q. Besides money, what other donations would be helpful or wanted?
    Again I can only speak for myself, tybar and jbettcher and I never really discussed this at any length, but here is some things that, for me, would be useful.
    • CPU - I run a quite old system, LGA775 based with a Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz, a Q6600 Core 2 Quad would work wonders for build times and is the highest I can currently go with my existing hardware.
    • Hardware - any misc hardware, old motherboards that happen to be newer then what I have, etc would be awesome.
    • Devices - always willing to accept android devices in whatever condition to be put towards either new PC hardware or possibly Toshiba devices to play with (excite maybe? who knows).
    • I'd say a laptop, but really a laptop that's better then my current desktop would be way to much to accept as a donation. Parts for a desktop as old as mine may be found sitting in a closet somewhere

Please keep in mind this is NOT required! I'll continue to support the thrive and this community as best I can, donations or not. I know times are tough for everyone, and not everyone can/will/wants to donate which is perfectly fine, never feel pressured or obligated to give donations a second thought.

Q. Do you ever sleep?
    It's been known to happen on occasion.
    Last edited by pio_masaki; 11-28-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: updates to address some more questions

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times

Re: The All Inclusive CM10 General Thread

shop smart - shop s - mart !

From my ICS by dalepl, Themed by t1nk Thrive
    32gb Thrive
    Dalepl's IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times

You da man Pio. Appreciate what you are doing and the kind words. Great idea to start another thread.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Good idea Pio. Just a few observations from running CM10-Bodacious_Bobcat-U2 for a couple of days now. First, it's great and a big kuddo for the devs on this one. Boot-up is extremely fast, seems faster than ICS. That could be due to the clean-up that takes place before installing the new image. Nearly all apps that were running under ICS also run on JB. The only exception I found was 4th of July Mahjong which force closes after hitting the play button. All of the options are greyed out and not available in the Developer Options. Every time I start Titanium Backup I get a message about changing the USB debugging checkbox, just an annoyance as it doesn't seem to stop TB from working. Not sure why the developer options aren't available. I haven't tried plugging in the USB for any reason but may need to some day. Not to ruffle any feathers but I did install Flash Play 11........ and it seems to work just fine, no hacks, just restored from my TB. I don't have a lot of apps installed and don't ask my Thrive to do a whole lot but what I have it does well. Except for the Mahjong all is well...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1903 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Quote Originally Posted by jimfree View Post
    Good idea Pio. Just a few observations from running CM10-Bodacious_Bobcat-U2 for a couple of days now. First, it's great and a big kuddo for the devs on this one. Boot-up is extremely fast, seems faster than ICS. That could be due to the clean-up that takes place before installing the new image. Nearly all apps that were running under ICS also run on JB. The only exception I found was 4th of July Mahjong which force closes after hitting the play button. All of the options are greyed out and not available in the Developer Options. Every time I start Titanium Backup I get a message about changing the USB debugging checkbox, just an annoyance as it doesn't seem to stop TB from working. Not sure why the developer options aren't available. I haven't tried plugging in the USB for any reason but may need to some day. Not to ruffle any feathers but I did install Flash Play 11........ and it seems to work just fine, no hacks, just restored from my TB. I don't have a lot of apps installed and don't ask my Thrive to do a whole lot but what I have it does well. Except for the Mahjong all is well...
    The developer options panel has a switch toggle in the upper right screen, toggle that to on to enable the options.

Tapatalked from my Nexus 7 - Kuroikaze AOSP

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Thanks for the tip. It wasn't important enough to me yet to do a search, you just saved me the trouble when the time came. I don't know how I missed that slider bar! Wasn't looking hard enough i guess.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    As we've been getting a huge load in Tybar's CM10 dev thread, and as mentioned to me (more then once) that we may need a different thread to handle all NON Dev related content. I was waiting to see if tybar would do this, however life has him otherwise occupied, as does JBettcher, so I felt I should get it going for us all to use right now.

For now this is simply a place holder until I can get the general guidelines up, including guides for installation, usage, various tips, tricks, FAQs, working apps/hardware, everything not directly related to the CM10 Unified project. Please feel free to go ahead and post any NON Dev related content here, I will update the posts as I have time to to try and make this a 1 stop shop for anyone looking to run CM10 on their Thrive, new or old.

This thread WILL BE noob friendly! As seen in the dev thread, we were aimed more at the dev side of things, and showed little to no patience for noob or non dev related posting, this will NOT be the case here! I apologize for some of the things that occured in that thread, and I didn't help matters much, if at all, and I aim to correct this here and now.

Feel free to post any comments, advice, tips, questions, and do so without fear of flaming, being labeled or being ignored, any such posts will be dealt with.
    Hi Pio, quick question when flashing PIMP it asks if the Rom you have is AOSP or stock, I assume with the latest CM10 from Wiki that the rom is AOSP.
    Also are you aware if any of the scripts are a no no on the latest CM10.

Thank you for your help.

Page 1 of 174 1231151101 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads