• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Full Working Rooted thrive Now

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times

Full Working Rooted thrive Now

Not only are we rooted, we have superuser access on the working stock Thrive Rom (Android Version 3.1.01.5.0023)

(I'm only going by their IRC nicks in chat)
    irc.freenode.net
    ##adamroot
    Or in a web browser

A HUGE HEARTY THANKS to the folks @ Tabletroms.com who helped!
    Zerofeel
    DJ_Steve
    RaYmAn
    (there may be others, chime in if you helped!)

And kudos to those that participated from Thriveforums.org
    Drum747
    NatolX (Tribute)
    austeregrim
    dalepl
    Bilgediver
    DeeDawg
    (there may be others, chime in if you were there!)

Also oe800 for porting Clockworkmod Recovery

1: NatolX bricked his Thrive attempting to flash the Xoom boot.img, proving we have an unlocked bootloader
    2:austeregrim was the first to attempt a custom flash, but was the first to get Root (even if only in shell form by bootlooping his Thrive) his root allowed us to get deeper access to system and boot files, which then allowed for
    3: oe800 to use Koush's tutorial to port Clockworkmod Recovery to the Thrive
    4: The whole time the TabletRoms team was walking us through these steps and provided the modified boot.img
    5: Dalepl was the second with root, but first to have it fully boot back and have Superuser permissions, and he also created the update.zip currently in use that gives us superuser
    6: Mine is the 3rd with root, second with Superuser permissions in a booted Thrive, and my Clockworkmod backup allowed both NatolX (Tribute) and austeregrim to nandroid restore their Thrives back to life, no longer soft-bricked!

http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthr...as-been-rooted!

The Dev "DJ_Steve" at Tabletroms has been doing the most legwork for us, we are trying to donate so he can get his own Thrive. Hes being doing all of this without his own Thrive!
    As donate links cannot be posted here, please visit
    TabletRoms Forums and thank the wonderful dev team over there for helping us.

UPDATE---

It appears that we aren't FULLY rooted yet, we still can't r/w the system directory, but we at least have superuser permissions to do almost everything else, and a fix is being worked on to make it fully r/w.

Currently ClockworkMod Recovery is only temporary, although a fix is being worked on to make it permanent. It appears Toshiba reflashes its own recovery every time it boots.

UPDATE2---
    There is another boot image that can be flashed which will allow the system partition to be r/w, we'll host that soon

there is a method to remove the Recovery-reflashing method, post can be found later in this thread.
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 07-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Please note take this at your own risk, this is just a preliminary step, and I happen to know it might only work on the latest OTA for the Thrive (dunno about later Toshiba updates).

For Mac users

All of this requires the Android SDK, so be sure and install those before continuing. Help may be found here for dealing with the usb drivers to get your Thrive recognized.

For those brave hearty souls, all you should need is the Clockwork Mod recovery ported over to our Thrive from oe800

DJ_Steve's new ClockworkMod image with ADB shell root.

You will also need a modified Boot.img to make your System partition R/W. If you change it to R/O you won't get R/W until you reboot.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...ocker-Boot.img

Place the recovery.img and Thrive-SystemUnlocker-Boot.img file in your android-sdk/tools folder (same folder as your fastboot.exe). There might be two .dlls missing, AdbWinUSBApi.dll and AdbWinAPI.dll, make sure you copy them over from your platform-tools folder.

as well as an update.zip compiled by our very own dalepl

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...888/update.zip

Put update.zip on your sdcard

Reboot your Thrive into its Fastboot (Power Down, then when Powering up, press and hold Power
    and VolumeUp at the same time until you see a black screen with 3 icons, navigate to the usb-icon with volume rocker and press the power button to select it.

For the fastboot commands, Fastboot is located in your android-sdk/tools folder, so in cmd prompt, navigate to your tools folder.

flash custom boot image using fastboot
    fastboot flash boot Thrive-SystemUnlocker-Boot.img
    flash ported clockworkmodrecovery using fastboot
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Then type
    fastboot reboot
    But quickly press and hold volume Up key as it reboots to go back into bootloader

this time Select the Middle icon for Recovery

you should be in Clockwork Mod Recovery (text is Orange, not Blue)

At this point I would recommend performing a "nandroid" backup, so you can restore yourself back to a working state should something go wrong.

Navigate to - backup and restore
    Select -backup.

Navigate to - mounts and storage
    mount /system
    mount /sdcard

Now Navigate back to main menu, and choose install zip from sdcard
    select the update.zip you placed in your sd card

reboot, install superuser from the market, you should be good!

I will add more later about editing the correct files to remove Toshiba's recovery blaster.
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 07-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley,Northwest California(97....)/Pocatello, ID(90-97)/Covina,SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    AWESOME, thank you!
    Device:Toshiba Thrive Tablet w/32 GB SDHC (Rooted, Stock 3.1 Honeycomb ROM V.0032)
    Happy 40th Anniversary Amtrak, 1971-2011, and here's to many more!(1971 was the year they assumed ops of most intercity passenger trains)
    Freight Railroads, keeping America moving and productive since 1826!
    Amtrak, keeping American's movin' and groovin' since 1971!
    Go Idaho State University! Proud Alumni here

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley,Northwest California(97....)/Pocatello, ID(90-97)/Covina,SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    I have a question, what do you mean by "preliminary"? Should we wait for a more final version, or is this it?
    Device:Toshiba Thrive Tablet w/32 GB SDHC (Rooted, Stock 3.1 Honeycomb ROM V.0032)
    Happy 40th Anniversary Amtrak, 1971-2011, and here's to many more!(1971 was the year they assumed ops of most intercity passenger trains)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Great work man!! congrats! I watched the struggles and you made it!
    Droid X running MIUI 1.8.5
    G tablet running CM7
    Thrive Stock, Rooted!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Lol its only been tested on two tablets.

That's hardly a blanket statement of approval, and we each flashed a different boot.img before switching back to our stock boot.img.
    But we both used clockworkmodrecovery to flash his update.zip, and it was our stock boot image with his su and busybox binaries is what did it.

That's why its still preliminary, we aren't completely sure the easier steps will work for more people, and it does require the android sdk.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Lol its only been tested on two tablets.

That's hardly a blanket statement of approval, and we each flashed a different boot.img before switching back to our stock boot.img.
    But we both used clockworkmodrecovery to flash his update.zip, and it was our stock boot image with his su and busybox binaries is what did it.

That's why its still preliminary, we aren't completely sure the easier steps will work for more people, and it does require the android sdk.

Ahh, okay, I think I'll hold off a bit then.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    SoCal, Well I saw the progress of not having root, to having it in a period of 7-8 hours, if even that. It's the first rooted thrive at the moment. It's a start, I was amazed how quickly things developed.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Tomorrow we should have a fully rooted nandroid recovery that can be flashed with clockwork recovery. That will be a "final" version I think

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    It was hard up until clockwork. After that it started rollin'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads