• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AT300-101 ICE 4.0.3 rooting possible?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I am root!

I did it! I have root access. Still making the final touches, but when I'm completely done with this I'll make a guide (my very first :P)
    I basically used the same guide, but had to change a few paths, that's all.

EDIT:
    root is blocked by sealime.ko, so can't mount or chroot... not much use.
    Last edited by Zagzagel; 10-30-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    T300 likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

AW: AT300-101 ICE 4.0.3 rooting possible?

Oh, I congratulate you.
    You are probably the first ...
    Could you let us share?
    Perhaps with a video?
    Many thanks!!!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagzagel View Post
    I did it! I have root access. Still making the final touches, but when I'm completely done with this I'll make a guide (my very first :P)
    I basically used the same guide, but had to change a few paths, that's all.

EDIT:
    root is blocked by sealime.ko, so can't mount or chroot... not much use.
    Please post what you did to gain temp root. this is one step in the process. As for sealime.ko, yes, it is an issue. It is loaded in the boot image. Now, we need a way to get around the locked bootloader. I can edit the boot image to get rid of the sealime.ko loading, but with the locked bootloader, the new boot image will not load.
    T300 likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    First off, I would like to point out this other post where they too are trying to break the locked bootloader. Also I don't have much time, and won't have internet for the next 2 days.<br>
    <br>
    I wish I could offer a cleaner alternative, but this method sometimes breaks almost all apps in the tablet (including the market). I think it has to do with the part where it moves /data/apps to /data/apps- or something like that, and then doesn't restore it. So, you've been warned! Also this is no noob guide. I currently have no time to make one.<br>
    <br>
    So on to it. First you should extract the this file. Run the RunMe (.bat for windows, .sh for linux) file, select the special device (number 2) and the root mode (number 1). Follow instructions until the first reboot. Then it says it will open a terminal but it won't because the device is still booting (I suspect this. adb says device is ready but it's not. Maybe it's expecting something to enter in a special boot mode). So either you open VpnDialogs in your device, or run the following in a shell:
    Code:
    adb shell am start -n com.android.vpndialogs/.Term
    Now the prompt should read "system@android:/" and if you run "id" in it, it should say you are uid=1000(system). If not try again. This post may help.
    In this terminal (in your device) you need to run:
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/onload.sh
    /data/local/tmp/onload2.sh
    /data/sh
    And you should be root prompt turns to "#", and you can access root folders, read /dev/block/mmcblk* etc, etc.. No mount or chroot, sadly.
    If you want root on adb run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    /data/sh
    The principle is to copy /system/bin/sh to /data/sh, which is somehow done as root (this method is not mine, I just adapted it to the AT300), chmod it to 06755 so everyone can run sh as root. Then we need to remount /data with suid so the chmod is actually in effect. And that's it. But running id returns the normal user, still. So we need to run su. The problem is, we can
    Code:
    chown 0.0 /data/local/tmp/_su
    chmod 06755 /data/local/tmp/_su
    but when running the actual /data/local/tmp/_su gives permission denied. The user xxxx cannot run su, or something like that (I've been trying other "su"s)

Hope this helps to progress things. If nothing is done about this, I'm tradin my AT300 for a transformer TF300. Similar specs, same price, but have to carry a dock around if I want usb and sd memory card... pros and cons..
    Last edited by Zagzagel; 10-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    zires and T300 like this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    I just got to thinking: Could this guide also work towards Thrive OTA ICS? Toshiba probably locked both of the devices the same way.
    Have a desire to throw money at my screen? Don't. Nothing'll happen. Use PayPal instead!
    Are you "thriving" for Ubuntu, and/or a Tegra 2 expert? I need your help! I've hit developer's block!
    Got OTA ICS? Want root? Go here!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Possibly, but as I have stated, this does no good until the bootloader is unlocked. On the Thrive ICS ROM, the HC bootloader works. That is what I am using on my rooted ICS ROM, so in the case of the Thrive, we may be able to setup a root package that can replace the bootloader and boot image and gain full root. If I get some free time I can look into it.
    T300 likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    More thinking here. How similar are the Excite and locked Thrive bootloaders? If they're the exact same, flashing the unlocked bootloader to the Excite shouldn't be too hard. Probably not, different processors.. Is it possible to flash a new bootloader with the temproot?
    T300 likes this.
    Have a desire to throw money at my screen? Don't. Nothing'll happen. Use PayPal instead!
    Are you "thriving" for Ubuntu, and/or a Tegra 2 expert? I need your help! I've hit developer's block!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Twitter
    AmEv7Fam
    Wait a minute.

In the TYBAR root tool for 0003, there's a bootloader with fastboot enabled, and it's the unlocked bootloader.

Instead of using the Maps exploit in HC 0003, use the above ICS patch.
    Last edited by AmEv; 11-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    T300 likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    April 2013 Bump

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagzagel View Post
    Hope this helps to progress things. If nothing is done about this, I'm tradin my AT300 for a transformer TF300. Similar specs, same price, but have to carry a dock around if I want usb and sd memory card... pros and cons..
    A little off topic, but you only have to carry around the doc for USB if you get a Transformer. The TF300 has a (writable) sdcard slot.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads