• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: [TOOL] [ROOT] Thrive Root - No PC V2

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times

[TOOL] [ROOT] Thrive Root - No PC V2

Thrive Root - No PC V2 - WARNING Not for ICS

Moderator's note:
    The OP hasn't been present on the forum since 9/12.
    Not only is its use at your own risk, but consider this unsupported as well.
    Assume that by now all links are dead.

Pio_Masaki has now picked up the ball.

Continued development and support now found here:
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/sh...d.php?p=183471

NOTE: Does not work for ICS

This will allow you to root and unroot your Thrive AT100 without the need of connecting your Thrive to a computer, the whole process is done on the Thrive using a script, the script will need to be run multiple times as the device needs to reboot at certain points for changes to take effect. This script will handle flashing fastboot, flashing boot.img, flashing recovery image, setting up SU & Superuser.apk, installing busybox & setting up bash. This script will grab your current build version and compare it with the boot images provided, if no boot image is found for your build then the script will exit, also md5's are checked before any system changes take place and if there a bad checksum then the script will exit.

This is the second attempt at making this work after realizing quite a mistake with the first attempt, this should work now as things are in the proper order

Now for the second attempt, V2

I will explain this in 2 parts, part 1 for downloading the app's required and extracting the root_v2.zip package and part 2 for the root and unroot process.

::: PART 1

To get started you must have a few things in check, you need something to type commands into and something to unzip the root_v2.zip package i have provided, so lets start there.
    You will need 2 apps, download and install the apps, either obtain the apps from the market or download the ones i have provided

AndroidTerminalEmulator.apk
    ( MD5 = 43ea7332bee0a0520f38b8f1aa4aead2 )
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/h806e1mcjmz...dTerm.apk?dl=1

ESFileExplorer.apk
    ( MD5 = 86da86d99366b30f8b4675da2b11694c )
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hje9fzr4gda...lorer.apk?dl=1

Once the 2 apps have been installed you are ready to unzip the root_v2.zip package.

This is the most important part as where the contents of the root_v2.zip package ends up is defined in the script i made, so you can't put the contents of this package somewhere else and expect it to work, so follow the instructions carefully. Download the root_v2.zip package using your Thrive,

root_V2.1.zip = 161mb ( MD5 =
    1f2121508669bafb4157308e88b5a19f )
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ji8bivr58v6..._V2.1.zip?dl=1

Use the ESFileExplorer.apk to navigate to the Download folder on the Thrive, you will see the root_v2.zip package. Hold your finger on the root_v2.zip package until ESFileExplorer presents a menu, then press 'Extract to' and you are presented with another menu, press 'Choose path' and ensure the path is /sdcard/ then press 'OK'. You should now have a new directory on your sdcard called 'root'. You are now ready to run the root/unroot script.

::: PART 2

Open up the Android Terminal app. this is where you will use the script to root the device. When you are required to reboot the device, you will have to open this app again and type the same command again, repeat this process until you are either rooted or unrooted.

The script will need running multiple times in order to successfully root or unroot the Thrive, It will need to be run 3 times to root the device and twice to unroot the device, the commands to keep running are;

1) sh /sdcard/root/run root (((3 times to root the device)))
    2) sh /sdcard/root/run unroot (((2 times to unroot the decice)))

Nothing else is required, just keep running the script and following instructions printed in the terminal until you see a message at the end "Please reboot the Thrive one last time", this will be the last time you reboot to complete the rooting process.

Say you want to root;

First the script will ask you what recovery image you want to use, then it will check the md5 sum's of the images that will be used and all files and executables, then it will activate temp root access and will require a reboot. Once rebooted you need to run the script for the second time, this will restore fastboot and flash the rooted boot image to the device and you will need to reboot the device again. On running the script for the third/last time, the device will flash the recovery image you selected, remove the stock recovery restorer, setup Superuser and install other binarys, then the device will reboot one last time to remove temp files and deactivate temp root and adb wifi.

I will now explain what will change with the Thrive once a successful root has taken place.

1) a rooted boot image will be flashed to the device
    2) a recovery (clockworkmod or stock) image will be flashed to the device
    3) fastboot will be restored
    4) busybox will be installed to /system/xbin along with its symlinks created in the same directory.
    5) the 'su' binary will be installed to /system/xbin and symlinked to /system/bin
    6) Superuser.apk will be installed to /data/app
    7) bash will be installed to /system/bin and symlinked to /system/xbin

When you unroot, all of this will be removed except fastboot, also, i fixed removing Superuser so it wont show in the manage apps section once removed. To unroot just run the script twice with the unroot argument, just about the same will happen, it will check md5's and flash the device to stock and remove Superuser and binarys, just follow the instructions printed in the terminal.

If you have any questions or get stuck at any point then let me know, i will try and help you through it

Please let me know of your success/failure.

Most of this is not my work, so big thanks to;

@tybar - for getting us root access and his script that i learned from
    @dalepl - for the rooted boot.img's and his script that i learned from

((( I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR DEVICE BREAKS )))

((( YOU PUSH THE BUTTONS )))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update : V2.1 = 161mb - 21/6/2012 ((( link updated )))

1) added more boot images from dalepl's rom section (thanks @dalepl)
    2) updated busybox binary from 1.19.2 to 1.20.1
    3) fixed a bug on unroot where sh would not work as it would be a broken symlink to bash
    4) fixed name of a build.prop file
    5) added a check, if the tool has been run and the file /data/local.prop exists and adbwifi is active then the tool would skip getting the names of the images and the md5 check. This will now print an error and remove the /data/local.prop then the script will exit, so when the script is re-run it will be forced to start from the beginning.
    6) Dropped using ro.build.display.id for the build check. i now use both ro.build.id and ro.build.version.incremental which creates the name of your build and then checks it against the list.

This package is getting quite big, so eventually when i get sets of boot.imgs in order and post them, i will be able to just make the script and download the required imgs for the device also being able to add things like a stock kernel or overclocked without the size of the package getting any bigger.

Current Images Included Are;

HMJ37.01.5.0032
    HMJ37.03.5.0006
    HMJ37.08.5.0001
    HMJ37.31.5.0001
    HTK55D.13.5.0001
    HTK55D.21.5.0009
    HTK55D.31.5.0002
    HTK55D.31.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0003
    HTK55D.33.5.0005
    HTK55D.35.5.0004
    HTK55D.36.5.0003
    HTK55D.38.5.0003
    Last edited by danvee; 01-19-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    tybar, xNotta, Fornax and 5 others like this.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Good job. I added this as a Sticky thread and removed the old one.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-15-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreotti View Post
    Thrive Root - No PC V2

This will allow you to root and unroot your Thrive AT100 without the need of connecting your Thrive to a computer, the whole process is done on the Thrive using a script, the script will need to be run multiple times as the device needs to reboot at certain points for changes to take effect. This script will handle flashing fastboot, flashing boot.img, flashing recovery image, setting up SU & Superuser.apk, installing busybox & setting up bash. This script will grab your current build version and compare it with the boot images provided, if no boot image is found for your build then the script will exit, also md5's are checked before any system changes take place and if there a bad checksum then the script will exit.

This is the second attempt at making this work after realizing quite a mistake with the first attempt, this should work now as things are in the proper order

Now for the second attempt, V2

I will explain this in 2 parts, part 1 for downloading the app's required and extracting the root_v2.zip package and part 2 for the root and unroot process.

::: PART 1

To get started you must have a few things in check, you need something to type commands into and something to unzip the root_v2.zip package i have provided, so lets start there.
    You will need 2 apps, download and install the apps, either obtain the apps from the market or download the ones i have provided

AndroidTerminalEmulator.apk
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7gqg07l6z8o...minal.apk?dl=1

ESFileExplorer.apk
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9bnxxxb554s...lorer.apk?dl=1

Once the 2 apps have been installed you are ready to unzip the root_v2.zip package.

This is the most important part as where the contents of the root_v2.zip package ends up is defined in the script i made, so you can't put the contents of this package somewhere else and expect it to work, so follow the instructions carefully. Download the root_v2.zip package using your Thrive,

root_v2.zip = 117mb ( MD5 =
    0764e786430cfc0e03f5d52dadc42847 )
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/py8qhifdjyx...ot_v2.zip?dl=1

Use the ESFileExplorer.apk to navigate to the Download folder on the Thrive, you will see the root_v2.zip package. Hold your finger on the root_v2.zip package until ESFileExplorer presents a menu, then press 'Extract to' and you are presented with another menu, press 'Choose path' and ensure the path is /sdcard/ then press 'OK'. You should now have a new directory on your sdcard called 'root'. You are now ready to run the root/unroot script.

::: PART 2

The script will need running multiple times in order to successfully root the Thrive, It will need to be run 3 times to root the device and twice to unroot the device, the commands to keep running are;

1) sh /sdcard/root/run root (((3 times)))
    2) sh /sdcard/root/run unroot (((2 times)))

Nothing else is required, just keep running the script and following instructions printed in the terminal until you see a message at the end "Please reboot the Thrive one last time", this will be the last time you reboot to complete the rooting process.

Say you want to root;

First the the device will ask you what recovery image you want to use, then it will check the md5 sum's of the images that will be used and all files and executables, then it will activate temp root access and will require a reboot. Once rebooted, fastboot and the rooted boot image will be flashed to the device and you will need to reboot the device again. On running the script for the last time, the device will flash the recovery image, remove the stock recovery restorer, setup Superuser and install other binarys, then the device will reboot one last time to remove temp files and deactivate temp root and adb wifi.

I will now explain what will change with the Thrive once a successful root has taken place.

1) a rooted boot image will be flashed to the device
    2) a recovery (clockworkmod or stock) image will be flashed to the device
    3) fastboot will be restored
    4) busybox will be installed to /system/xbin along with its symlinks created in the same directory.
    5) the 'su' binary will be installed to /system/bin and symlinked to /system/xbin
    6) Superuser.apk will be installed to /data/app
    7) bash will be installed to /system/bin and symlinked to /system/xbin

When you unroot, all of this will be removed except fastboot, also fixed removing Superuser so it wont show in the manage apps section once removed. To unroot just run the script twice, just about the same will happen, it will check md5's and flash the device to stock and remove Superuser and binarys, just follow the instructions printed in the terminal.

If you have any questions or get stuck at any point then let me know, i will try and help you through it

Please let me know of your success/failure.

Most of this is not my work, so big thanks to;

@tybar - for getting us root access and his script that i learned from
    @dalepl - for the rooted boot.img's and his script that i learned from

((( I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR DEVICE BREAKS )))

((( YOU PUSH THE BUTTONS )))
    I'll try right now thanks!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Goid job. I added this as a Sticky thread and removed to old one.
    Thank you.

Sent from my AT100
    icnu01 likes this.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    @topdawg661

Give it a shot and let me know how you get on

Sent from my AT100

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I do both the root and unroot command lines??

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Never mind

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by topdawg661 View Post
    I do both the root and unroot command lines??

3x root (for root)
    2x unroot (for unroot)

its the only way because of the reboots, hope you get it working

Sent from my AT100 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Rooted!!! Woo! Thanks! Is a recovery flashed on it too?

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by topdawg661 View Post
    Rooted!!! Woo! Thanks! Is a recovery flashed on it too?

Great news, and yes, whatever recovery image you sleceted while rooting will have been flashed to the device, power on with (power & vol+) and try recovery

Sent from my AT100

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads