• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeanl
  • 1 Post By danvee

Thread: How to disable playback auto-stop when earphones are unplugged???

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

How to disable playback auto-stop when earphones are unplugged???

I have ICS, 4.0.4 rooted (so far, I'm mostly happy with it) and I'm having a very annoying problem: When playing back audio on headphones, if I touch (even very slightly) the headphones jacks, the playback stops.
    This, I believe, is a side effect of a design choice: Android in its great wisdom decided that if you unplug your headphones, it should stop playback. Unfortunately, this has a bad side-effect on my thrive because the headphone connector is crappy and if you barely touch it, the tablet assumes it's been unplugged. I then have to navigate to the play app (yes, the notification does not show the play/pause button in that case, another great design), and restart playback.

I've looked everywhere for a way to disable this "feature" (I'm an engineer myself, and I get really annoyed at this kind of flawed design that you can't easily defeat, if at least it was reliable, but as it is it's just a major annoyance) and I haven't found a way to do that (even on a rooted tablet?). I tried some of the apps that re-route the headphone play button, but that does not work for me (my headphones don't have a play button anyway!).
    I'm guessing it can be done somehow... Any pointer as to where to look?
    Is there a "master file" that holds the defaults parameters for the tablet, (a-la registry in windows) which you could go tweak?

Thanks of any help on that!
    Jeanl

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    . All of my connectors fit snuggly into the jack and I don't have the issue with touching the jack causing playback to stop. Just to test, have you tried another set of earphones/earbuds?

I looked around in system and multimedia settings too, as well as the settings on some of the audio players and couldn't find a setting anywhere to overcome the stopping of playback when headphones are unplugged.
    Hopefully, someone else will have a suggestion for you on that.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks! Yes, I tried other earphones, and they work better, the problem is that this is my connector in my car, and I can't change it (it's plugged in the back of the unit). It's a good quality one too (not one of these flimsy kinds) but somehow, its size must be a tad too small which allows it to wiggle and cause the problem.
    I'm going to ask some android engineers whom I know, and I'll let you all know if I find something out.
    Jeanl

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    As a work around, you might want to look at using an extension cord that might have a better jack for the THRiVE end. It may also have to do with the fact that the jack on the THRiVE is for both mic & sound and the jack from the car is sound only.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    ThaBadBoy
    This is not a fix...but I did read somewhere that the app MixZing does not stop audio when headphones are unplugged. Though I have not tried it myself.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I think other apps won't stop when unplugging the headphones or the connector. I talked to an Android guy, and he confirmed that there's no setting for this. If you have the source code, he says, you can change the behavior very easily (one line of code, not surprisingly) but in our case we don't, as the Thrive isn't running the stock ICS code, so there's no practical work-around other than the ones suggested (other plug, and other app to play music).
    Thanks for all the answers/suggestions...
    Jeanl
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    You're welcome. Sorry you didn't get a solution though.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

you would think...

you would think that there is some kind of app that would let you controll the beahviour of the earphone jack... how can there not be?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: How to disable playback auto-stop when earphones are unplugged???

I'm thinking that the reason is so you don't blow out your speakers if you're listening at a high volume level through the headphone jack.
    ttmoo likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's many years later but now I have the same exact problem . With a Note 5:. Did you ever find an app that controls the headphones ?

Remove Ads

Ads