• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where are Kindle downloaded books filed?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mine don't show under the Thrive 'file manager' - 'Internal storage' - kindle file (says this folder is empty)

However, when opening the 'Amazon Kindle' app itself on my Thrive, they all show in the Library screen.

Will and the Fur Crew

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1799 times
    This might have the answer.....

Where are books stored ?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    On my Thrive, Kindle Books are stored here: /sdcard/android/data/com.android.kindle/files. Other books are stored in the same location under their named folders.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jackf View Post
    epags - First to answer the topic question. Your books are stored in: mnt/sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files You won't recognize the file names as they are not the actual book titles. They represent the text, book cover, etc. The only books here are the ones that you have downloaded, once you delete them from the device they are gone.

In /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files there are a bunch of subfolders. This directory is off Root. Here the Kindle control data are stored, databases with last page read, location of the downloaded books, etc. In this directory is a subdirectory /files. In here there is a subdirectory /small (there is a /medium but on my thrive it is empty). In my /small are the cover art for all of the books I own for the kindle. It appears to be a cache so every time I want to see all of the titles I own the Thrive doesn't have to connect to the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by huh2 View Post
    Makes sense, but the books I've downloaded (Kindle app) from Amazon are not there. I've looked all over and can't locate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mewhee View Post
    Mine don't show under the Thrive 'file manager' - 'Internal storage' - kindle file (says this folder is empty)
    Please re-read Jack's reply.

1. Books that have actually been downloaded will be in mnt/sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files.

2. Books that have been purchased, but not yet downloaded, will be in /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files.

3. However, if you convert books from other formats (or strip out the DRM on books you own), you can place them in the kindle folder and the Kindle app should find them.

I have 2 books in #1, 41 books in #2, and 1 DRM-free book in #3 for a total of 44. The Kindle app correctly shows 44 total, 3 downloaded, and 41 archived. Obviously, the app sees books in both #1 and #3 folders as downloaded and ready for reading.

Please note that one needs to be rooted (or use a file manager that will view system files) to see the files in a#2 (/data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files).

FWIW, the real book titles and cover art in #1 can be seen using the FBReader app. Select the Library icon, then drill down to mnt/sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files. It will then show the filename and the real title. If you then select a book, it will show the cover and other info, but I get a blank page if I try to "read" it. I assume this is because what I'm seeing is not the book, but the supporting .mbp file.

I've also found that if I put a book in the #3 (kindle) folder, the Kindle app will automatically create a corresponding .mbp file to save bookmark and other data.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Ads