• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GrDaneTT View Post
    Halo, I am unrooted as well. Same as you both the old android market and the new Google play show in settings/manage applications. What I did was go into Google play/my apps. In the list of installed apps was the old Google market and it had the option to uninstall it which I did.

After I uninstalled the old market, I went back into setting/manage application. The old market is still listed, but now shows as taking up 0.00. I think the reason it remains in the list is because it was a pre-installed app that came with the Thrive.

Even prior to uninstalling the old market while in the list it was not running.

Hope this helps.
    That may well be the answer. You may want to reboot and then check to see if it's still there.
    In that case, EVERYONE who is not rooted (the majority) will have that issue.
    Now that you've "uninstalled" the Market do the deleted apps still show in Google Play?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    That may well be the answer. You may want to reboot and then check to see if it's still there.
    In that case, EVERYONE who is not rooted (the majority) will have that issue.
    Now that you've "uninstalled" the Market do the deleted apps still show in Google Play?
    Danvee, Ah... the golden rule...always reboot after installing or uninstalling. You had it right. As soon as I rebooted the old market was gone from settings/applications.

I have not had Halo's problem of uninstalled apps remaining in the list of apps in the market. I was just checking the issue of having both old and new market as another user who was unrooted.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Okay, my build number is HTK55D.31.5.0003
    When we had the latest market update I updated through Toshiba's Service Station.
    I just went and uninstalled the old Android Market. - I did that through Google Play
    I then went back into my manage applications and the old Android app is gone.
    Before I reboot I just went back into Google Play and it wanted me to install the old Android app again. So I did just what you said I have rebooted the tablet and I have just gone into Google Play and its right where it should be.

I just went into my apps installed through Google Play and at the bottom of all my apps installed it is now showing:

Not Installed
    Android Market
    Google Inc.
    Then it has a picture of the old android icon underneath

Just to see what happened I clicked on the old android even though it says uninstalled it gives me the option to install it again.

Is there a way to rid the tablet of that? Other than that everything is fine. Not sure why its still showing the old android app not installed on Google Play. Any suggestions?
    I wonder how many thrive owners don't even know the old android is still lurking around.
    Last edited by Halo; 03-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    I think the deal is that Google remembers every app you've downloaded and installed. It's correct in showing the Market is "not installed" and that it will allow re-installation.
    The CLOUD remembers all.
    No need to get rid of that as it's proper behavior. It's not really lurking-more of a benign ghost of installations past.
    All should be well.
    ~Dan

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Hi Danvee, thank you. Just curious in the past I had uninstalled different apps on the Android Market and those do not show uninstalled in Google Play. Would you say its because its a Google app it shows uninstalled. I guess if we deleted lets say for example Google Maps or Google Sky that would also show up uninstalled in Google Play. Just curious you would think it would not give you the choice to reinstall this old Android Market app as it would conflict with their new Google Play? Seems odd there is that option to reinstall.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Hi Danvee, thank you. Just curious in the past I had uninstalled different apps on the Android Market and those do not show uninstalled in Google Play. Would you say its because its a Google app it shows uninstalled. I guess if we deleted lets say for example Google Maps or Google Sky that would also show up uninstalled in Google Play. Just curious you would think it would not give you the choice to reinstall this old Android Market app as it would conflict with their new Google Play? Seems odd there is that option to reinstall.
    Glad I could be of some small help.
    Please understand that I'm only minimally conversant with Android/Java/Linux programming, so my comments are based on my own observations and experiences.
    I'll assume(?) for the moment that the GP Store works the same as the Market.
    My experience has been that Google "remembers" all of the paid apps that you've got, but gets a bit sketchy when it comes to the free ones. I would (that word again) assume that it remembers all Google-created/branded apps but may be more casual about others.
    At least that is my experience with previous versions of Market. I've also seen a couple of updates to the GP Store, so I think it's still getting tuned. The GPS may view the old Market as just "another" app, since, technically doing a similar job, they're different apps.
    Also, I've found out, some otherwise plain vanilla Android-based devices DO NOT automatically come with the Market loaded. They use GetJar or others. The user would actually have to "side load" the Market themselves. Must have to do with licensing, but that's pure speculation.

I'll leave the other technical details to the real Devs= maybe they can fill in the gaps.....
    ~Dan

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I guess you must be right on because nobody has chimed in here to correct you. I haven't paid for any apps yet probably will never have to. When you think about it thats totally insane that they change the android icon and expect everybody to know this. If you were not a part of the forum I don't think you'd have a clue on what was up. It just doesn't make sense why they would leave an app uninstalled with that option to reinstall if it is obsolete. You can't use it anyways.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I guess you must be right on because nobody has chimed in here to correct you. I haven't paid for any apps yet probably will never have to. When you think about it thats totally insane that they change the android icon and expect everybody to know this. If you were not a part of the forum I don't think you'd have a clue on what was up. It just doesn't make sense why they would leave an app uninstalled with that option to reinstall if it is obsolete. You can't use it anyways.
    About the only notification that I recall is when GPS was initially installed and you had to click through to acknowledge permissions.
    I generally just blast through these if I know the app, but I did happen to catch and read the details.
    Would have been nice if the had done a nice splash screen announcing the change and the change of icons...
    See...There's a real advantage to being a member of these forums.
    I wonder if it's happening on other devices?
    Last edited by danvee; 03-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    ~Dan

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Funny, same thing here I agreed to this pop up and then said Oh No what did I agree to this time. It was such a small download I remember it took like 3 seconds. I have to believe the same thing is going on with other tablets.

Ads