• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleDAZ
  • 2 Post By DoubleDAZ

Thread: mountain bike with thrive and gps

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

mountain bike with thrive and gps

Hello all.
    I don't have broadband coverage with my thrive. But I do have a Garmin wilderness GPS unit that gives me lat/long. Is there a way I can use google maps or another app to help me use google maps when I am out in the country. My fantasy: I get a reading from my Garmin GPS and enter the data into the thrive and I get a map area relating to where I am. Thanks all.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    If you have GPS access, you might want to check out Navfree. With GPS, it will show your current location and let you explorer the areas round it. You can download all the maps or just the one you need. There are 2 apps; one for the USA and another for other areas. It doesn't let you enter coordinates, but if all you want is your current location, GPS should get you pretty close depending on how many satellites it can "see".

I use Navigon, but it's a little expensive (I got it on sale). It does let you enter coordinates though, so I assume it will work for your needs even without GPS. Co-Pilot is another that has been recommended here, but I don't know if it does coordinates. If you search the Market for "navigation", you'll see there are others, including ones that advertise themselves as being for back country use.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your ideas. Much to research now.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by restive View Post
    Thank you for your ideas. Much to research now.
    Obviously, I'd try the free stuff first and go from there. Just as a thought, if you want to PM me some coordinates, I'd be happy to plug them into Navigon and let you know what I get.
    forestplay likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    If you have GPS access, you might want to check out Navfree. With GPS, it will show your current location and let you explorer the areas round it. You can download all the maps or just the one you need. There are 2 apps; one for the USA and another for other areas. It doesn't let you enter coordinates, but if all you want is your current location, GPS should get you pretty close depending on how many satellites it can "see".

I use Navigon, but it's a little expensive (I got it on sale). It does let you enter coordinates though, so I assume it will work for your needs even without GPS. Co-Pilot is another that has been recommended here, but I don't know if it does coordinates. If you search the Market for "navigation", you'll see there are others, including ones that advertise themselves as being for back country use.
    can u give another free program can be included with gps??

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    As Dave said in the quoted post, A quick search of the PlayStore for "navigation" will turn up a number of them.
    Otherwise https://www.google.com/search?redir_...=1393776625046
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by g4ptek View Post
    can u give another free program can be included with gps??
    For USA use, check out the free version of CoPilot GPS to see how well it will work for you. It gives you directions, but does not provide audio turn-by-turn navigation. If the free version works well enough, the pay version is only $10. Also, don't forget that you can download map areas for use offline in the Google Maps app too. I haven't used it offline lately, but while you can't download complete states, you can generally download enough location data to get you where you are going. For example, you don't need all of Arizona to get you from somewhere in Phoenix to somewhere in Tucson. You can download enough of Phoenix to get you to I-10 and enough of Tucson to get you to a specific address in Tucson. I think you can download up to 10 areas, but I could be out of date with the latest changes.
    rosalie and JiveTurkee like this.
    Cheers, Dave

Remove Ads

Ads