• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Al, I could change to Clear unlimited mobile for my house I believe they are currently charging $50.00 a month. I have a Clear router right now, and I have vonage voice and a fax machine hooked up to the vonage modem. I don't want to mess with that phone system or fax machine. So the mobile plan is out. I do not have the knowledge to be rooting phones, I can bearly figure out how to use all the apps on my new thrive. All this technology is sometimes just too hard to grasp. What they need to come out with is a prepaid phone like tracfone that has hot spot capabilities and you can buy prepaid minutes on it and it would work kinda like a cellphone. I could have gotten a mobile data plan from AT&T supplying my own wifi unit for $30.00 a month no contract. I would have paid about $150.00 for the wifi unit from Japan because I feel they had a really good device but I couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money a month for a tablet I would not be using every day.
    Last edited by Halo; 02-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Oklahoma but lived most of my adult life in New York City.
    Liked
    40 times
    There are prepaid HOTSPOT devices that are pay as you go I believe. (A hotspot device is a small electronic device about the side of a deck of cards that take the 3g or 4 g signal and converts it to regular WIFI. for other devices to use like tabalets and notbook computers)! It works just like a phones hot spot just witout the phone. I think you can get them for about $50 a month without a contract (you do need to buy the device though)...

Here is a link to the one offerd by Walmart:
    T-mobile Prepaid 4G Hotspot - Walmart.com

Hope that helps,

Al

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Thanks Al, Clear also has a wi fi hot spot but it would run $50.00 a month unlimited but I don't plan on taking my tablet out of the house that much so its too much money. I went to T-Mobile and it was 35.00 a month. I didn't check out walmart. Another idea was a international smart phone you can buy but then you need a sim card and what I found was T-Mobile sells sim cards at Best Buy, its $20.00 for the sim card plus an activation fee plus the time you buy which would be okay but the downside is they give you 3 months to use all the prepaid data you have bought and if you don't use it all you loose it and have to buy another sim card and then another re-activation fee and then again your data. So it just is too much hassle going that route. What I am looking for is a prepaid device that I can buy and data to it and not be on a time limit to use it up and it just sits there for me to use what I want then that would be great. Do you know of anything like that. I don't want to be on any monthly charges.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello I have a question for you, if you do not mind. I am a new Thrive user...I have a sierra wireless piece which works through the usb port. I cannot get it to install on my thrive so I can use the feacture which comes through the cell number connect. Do you know of an app for this or how I can get it installed. The install is suppose to be automatic upon connection but it is for windows operating system.

Thanks

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I gather your speaking of the sierra wireless mobile Broadband Modem that support 3 and 4 G. My guess is that its not compatible with the tablet and that its function is for laptops. What I have learned is that the thrive works on wifi and does not have 3G or 4G built into the tablet. Are you looking for faster download speeds or to select a the fastest available network? I am not sure by your question. I do not think your going to find an app that is going to make this USB modem work with the thrive. I just can tell you the tablet runs on 802.11 bandwidth and my guess is what you want it to do with the Sierra wireless piece (I am not sure what wire piece your speaking of) is not compatible and what you need to look for like I have been is a wifi mobile hot spot. Unfortunately those come with data plans which add up into tons of money. Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    The Thrive does not support these 3G/4G USB wireless devices, there are no drivers for them like there is with Windows. As Halo has found out, you need a mobile hotspot device or a tethered cellphone to provide a wireless connection.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Dave, I am getting better I took a shot in the dark with my answer and I guess I must have done okay. I wasn't too sure what isweetee was saying.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Dave, I am getting better I took a shot in the dark with my answer and I guess I must have done okay. I wasn't too sure what isweetee was saying.
    Yes, you did. Just make sure you continue to use words like "I do not think" and "I guess" when you are not absolutely sure. I still add such caveats even when I am sure because things change rather quickly.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Will do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads