• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WiFI Finder Android App now for Honeycomb

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Dave, to answer your question from two weeks ago that seems unanswered. WPA2 and https encrypts everything, not just passwords. Technically while visiting a https web site you are double encrypted on your wireless network. Such fun!

Jim

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Its a good thing I started this thread look at all the good that has come out of it!!!!
    YES Halo...thank you! I love this forum. One person posts a question or a problem, and the resulting answers/discussions end up helping lots of other people...even way after the thread stops, when someone does a forum search about the same issue.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfree View Post
    Dave, to answer your question from two weeks ago that seems unanswered. WPA2 and https encrypts everything, not just passwords. Technically while visiting a https web site you are double encrypted on your wireless network. Such fun!

Jim

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Good to know! That's another thing I learned about from reading a past forum discussion...WEP security is NOT so secure. So I went into my router and changed to WPA2. Then today when I was in there I saw where I could set up additional security by allowing only specific MAC addresses to have access, and that I could keep the router from broadcasting it's ID name, so that in addition to the long, complex password I had configured to add to the end of the original one, someone would have to figure out the name I've assigned to my router, and the router's lips wouldn't be a-tellin'

I didn't do those two things yet, because I figured I should probably find out what a MAC address IS first, before choosing that option, LOL LOL

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Its a good thing I started this thread look at all the good that has come out of it!!!!
    Yeah, and that's partly why we don't discourage any questions, even duplicates. Things change and new members join and there are always new ideas. We all learn or reinforce what we already know, and there's no feeling quite as good as helping someone.
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You can find the MAC address of your laptops by doing start, run, cmd
    then in the black DOS window type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and with a space before /
    Just to annoy you, windows calls it Physical address.
    Likely you got two of them, ethernet and wireless. Enter wireless MACs into the router, and optionally the wired as well. Then you got a fortress.

Thrive's wireless MAC is displayed in Settings, About tablet, Status.

Router also has MAC addresses, one for the LAN side, the other for the WAN side that your ISP sees.

Shutting off broadcast of SSID is ok usually, but it's not really insecure to have it broadcasting when you use WPA2 encryption, and if you have trouble setting up a new device (guest in the house, new Thrive), it can come handy, so you can turn it on in the router when needed.
    Last edited by ttmoo; 02-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    rosalie likes this.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Thanks ttmoo

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Ads