• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    3885
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    7,843
    Liked
    1294 times

    Stock Email vs K-9 Email

    I'm still trying to like K-9 Mail, but I'm just not seeing it. I much prefer the display on the stock email app where I see the folders along the left side and then the list of emails indented. This is how I display them in Windows Mail and I just can't get anything more than a simple list of emails out of K-9, and it takes multiple key pressess to get that. I can't even figure out how to get a list of all the folders, like Draft, Sent, etc. The closest I come is "-NONE- (SENT)" and that really looks stupid to me.

    I just can't help feeling I'm missing some in K-9, but my only real complaint with Email is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to "empty the trash", like there is in K-9. I did change the font and things and that helped. I also know my complaint with K-9 is pretty trivial, but for me it's enough to make working with K-9 a chore. I guess the visual difference is enough for me to deal with having to manually "empty the trash".

    I'm hoping someone will "set me straight" and tell me just what attracts folks to K-9.
    Cheers, Dave

    ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    341
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Okeechobee, FL
    Posts
    522
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I'm still trying to like K-9 Mail, but I'm just not seeing it. I much prefer the display on the stock email app where I see the folders along the left side and then the list of emails indented. This is how I display them in Windows Mail and I just can't get anything more than a simple list of emails out of K-9, and it takes multiple key pressess to get that. I can't even figure out how to get a list of all the folders, like Draft, Sent, etc. The closest I come is "-NONE- (SENT)" and that really looks stupid to me.

    I just can't help feeling I'm missing some in K-9, but my only real complaint with Email is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to "empty the trash", like there is in K-9. I did change the font and things and that helped. I also know my complaint with K-9 is pretty trivial, but for me it's enough to make working with K-9 a chore. I guess the visual difference is enough for me to deal with having to manually "empty the trash".

    I'm hoping someone will "set me straight" and tell me just what attracts folks to K-9.
    I'm with you on this. I am using k-9 right now because it works, and it's free, but I hate the UI. The "tablet" version, kaiten, appears to have the same interface, and since it costs $5., I'm not willing to try it. The native email app, most of the time now, does not send my mail. G-Mail (UI similar to native) is not sending it either. In both cases, compositions go to the draft folder. I have Comcast email. I know for many if works with native app--mine did for a while, too. G-Mail used to work, also.

  4. #3
    Developer

    Member #
    459
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    8,928
    Liked
    1953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    I'm with you on this. I am using k-9 right now because it works, and it's free, but I hate the UI. The "tablet" version, kaiten, appears to have the same interface, and since it costs $5., I'm not willing to try it. The native email app, most of the time now, does not send my mail. G-Mail (UI similar to native) is not sending it either. In both cases, compositions go to the draft folder. I have Comcast email. I know for many if works with native app--mine did for a while, too. G-Mail used to work, also.
    In the past, I have had issues with mail not going out. It would stay in my out box, but I would receive new emails. To fix this, I had to remove my accounts and add them again. Once I did this, the mail app would sync and send out the emails I had in the out box.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

    - Click Here to Support My Work -


  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    3885
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    7,843
    Liked
    1294 times
    Ok, I will keep an eye on the mail I send. Thanks.
    Cheers, Dave

    ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

  6. #5
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    757
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    4 times
    Frequently problems with sending email are due to blocked ports. Many ISPs block port 25 that's used by SMTP (the mail sending protocol). You might try manually configuring the SMTP setting in your email software to use port 587 instead. That frequently works.

    I'm probably in an extremely small minority in that I am okay using three separate email programs on my Thrive (and Droid X phone). I use the stock email program to access my work email that's on an Exchange system; the Gmail app to access Gmail (which I don't make much use of; and Kaiten to access a couple of personal email accounts, using IMAP. (leaving undeleted email on the server, so I can access all messages on my Thrive, my phone, my Macbook, or via a web browser).

    I was using K-9, but I just didn't like the tablet layout, so I moved over to Kaiten. (Take a look at the screenshots online - it does list messages down the left edge and display the selected message on the right.) And since there are a couple of real differences between the Kaiten and K-9 interfaces, I use Kaiten on my phone as well.

  7. #6
    Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    341
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Okeechobee, FL
    Posts
    522
    Liked
    90 times
    FWIW, removing accounts didn't do anything for email app or gmail app. Of course, it's always worth trying. It appears as though I can't even get to the server list options in gmail (and I switched to IMAP hoping for success--not a comcast option though), and, as I've related in another thread, I tried all the server options possible on the email app. On both apps, when I try to send, the mail goes to the draft folder. AFAIK, this only started happening 4-6 weeks ago.

  8. #7
    Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    341
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Okeechobee, FL
    Posts
    522
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ARFunk View Post
    Frequently problems with sending email are due to blocked ports. Many ISPs block port 25 that's used by SMTP (the mail sending protocol). You might try manually configuring the SMTP setting in your email software to use port 587 instead. That frequently works.

    I'm probably in an extremely small minority in that I am okay using three separate email programs on my Thrive (and Droid X phone). I use the stock email program to access my work email that's on an Exchange system; the Gmail app to access Gmail (which I don't make much use of; and Kaiten to access a couple of personal email accounts, using IMAP. (leaving undeleted email on the server, so I can access all messages on my Thrive, my phone, my Macbook, or via a web browser).

    I was using K-9, but I just didn't like the tablet layout, so I moved over to Kaiten. (Take a look at the screenshots online - it does list messages down the left edge and display the selected message on the right.) And since there are a couple of real differences between the Kaiten and K-9 interfaces, I use Kaiten on my phone as well.
    Yes. Your suggestion re ports has been tried. Good suggestion, though. I had to mess with that on my husband's imac when he was having outgoing mail problems--after years of it just working. I really think it's our version of comcast. Our service is extremely erratic. The weirdest part is that, out of the blue, with no setting changes, it works for a while. That also makes me think it's comcast. Appreciate the help.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    3885
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    7,843
    Liked
    1294 times
    FWIW, my SMTP port was automatically set to 465 when I set up the account and I have not had any problems. If they added an Empty teash option to the stock Email app, I'd be pretty happy. It could be that Trash is automatically emptied after so many days, but I don't know where to look to find that kind of infomation for the stock apps, or Android in general. I suppose I should look for some kind of general User's Guide or something. I'm learning totally by clicking and seeing what happens.
    Cheers, Dave

    ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    107
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    6,439
    Liked
    910 times
    I wonder if the app is successfully connecting to the outgoing mail server. You might want to try different settings for authentication/security for outgoing settings.

  11. #10
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    4021
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    147
    Liked
    16 times
    I am happy with K-9 and find it far better than the supplied email software. I really love IDLE.

    I'd pay my dues and move to Kaiten but what puts me off is having to set it up again from scratch. I have emailed the software developers to ask if it will import the K-9 settings. But they have not replied so I cannot make my modest cash contribution to the cause.

    Tony


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

aico mail vs k-9 mail
,

differences between k9mail and android mail

,

email timevs.com

,

k-9 and stock email work side by side

,

k-9 mail sent folder

,

k-9 mail windows

,

k-9 vs kaiten

,

k9 kaiten

,
k9 mail and native email
,

k9 mail for windows

,

k9 mail vs stock

,

k9 vs kaiten

,

k9 vs stock

,

kaiten vs k9

,
what is the difference between kaiten and k9
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.