• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Will GPS apps work away from wi-fi?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Correct, WiFi only for the initial launch. Either late this fall or winter will see at least a 3G version. Google Maps does work without the need for cell signal (it simply makes calls for GPS information based on how the device is setup to provide it). The GPS on the Thrive should be a stand-alone GPS (though there are some apps that will pre-load assists for your current location -- based on WiFi info).
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I thought that I read Google maps for Android was supposed to get an update so that it would be able to work without a cell signal. Plus, I haven't heard of any specs for the Thrive for 3G/4G capability. I've pretty much been thinking that the Thrive will launch with wi-fi only models. Not that it would be a problem.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    I thought that I read Google maps for Android was supposed to get an update so that it would be able to work without a cell signal. Plus, I haven't heard of any specs for the Thrive for 3G/4G capability. I've pretty much been thinking that the Thrive will launch with wi-fi only models. Not that it would be a problem.
    Yeah. It is. We don't have an official date, though.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    This is true, and that's called route caching, but doesn't necessarily relate to GPS vs. aGPS functionality found within the various phones and tablets. Let me give you two examples where this could fail. You're driving out of cell/data range and you decide to change course to go see a thing. The route cache may not have the appropriate data to show your new route, and without a cell connection to download new data, you're out of luck. Example #2 is, say you're still out of range and you stop for a picnic, shutting off your vehicle and your tablet/phone with aGPS. When you fire it back up, without connectivity, the tablet could have a difficult/impossible time finding a GPS lock without the assisted cell phone data. Even though the map is theoretically cached in the tablet, the tablet can't pinpoint your location on it.

Does it make sense now how the two are really unrelated to one another?

Route caching won't be solid for me until Google caches a fairly significant portion of the data - e.g. lets me download an entire state...or better yet, act like the competitors and just cache the whole freakin' continent on my device. It's fairly common that I leave Montana and wake up in New York, or Florida or Las Vegas...or wherever else. Until then, I'll be buying a dedicated device.

P.S. There's rumors of 3G/4G Thrives, but no one has any concrete info.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Maybe this will help some folks? (appears to require Maps v5.7)

How to download maps data on Google Maps | Android Central
    TarheelGrad1998 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads