• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offline GPS Apps(turn by turn)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Offline GPS Apps(turn by turn)

Hey guys! Long time android user(since the G1!), first time tablet owner, thrilled thrive owner. I am sure there are other users out there like me that would like to take advantage of the GPS sensor in the tablet and use it while away from 3g/wifi/carrier pigeons but have been searching until blue in the face to find a decent one. However, while it is great that google finally implemented the offline map cache for a 10 mile square, no POI or other information is really saved, let alone navigation when disconnected unless you start the route before you go. I made this post to bring up a few apps that may be a solution and also see if there are other programs out there to fill the GPS need for those who travel or get lost easily. I found two programs so far, co-pilot and sygic. Sygic(about $20) is not on the market, however co-pilot is. I have not used these two apps yet, however will be purchasing co-pilot premium (right now about $25) in a few weeks when I get back to the States and can use the maps. Has anyone had firsthand experience with these two apps? Or better yet, is there a gps app that you use?
    Last edited by h1p1n3; 09-06-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: updated prices
    RISK likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Have you checked out MapDroyd?

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuser View Post
    Have you checked out MapDroyd?
    Sorry, if you want turn by turn direction, check out NavDroyd, about 7 bucks. Don't need the distraction when I drive, so I stick with the free version.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sygic is on the market, I'm on day 7 of the free 7-day trial version. It downloads all the mapping and POI info when you install it, after asking you to select your locale. For Australia, I've got more POIs than I can see in one screen every time I check, too many to be scrolling through safely while driving. You only need the internet connectivity for active traffic info. It knows the speed limits even on the smallest streets and sounds off if you exceed the limit by some margin that I haven't bothered to determine. Shows the speed limit in the upper right corner and sounds an alert tone when the limit changes. It's very quick to map directions to a new destination.

For over two months I've been using the Google maps and navigation apps bundled with the AT100/Thrive in Australia, using a mobile broadband wifi modem and it worked sort of OK. I just hate eating into my data quota to drive the mapping stuff. I'll be buying the Sygic package once I tire of trying free apps and get around to setting up an account for buying apps.
    Cheers,

Bill K
    Sydney, Australia
    Toshiba AT100 16GB

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Locus?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by h1p1n3 View Post
    however will be purchasing co-pilot premium (right now about $25) in a few weeks when I get back to the States and can use the maps. Has anyone had firsthand experience with these two apps?
    I got CoPilot a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten totally familiar with it, but it does at least as well as my old Garmin. If you're interested in that app, check out the price on Amazon before you buy it in the market. When I bought, the Amazon price was substantially lower.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    I am a fan of Garmin, I have tried different products, never find anything I like as much.

I recommend their Android app, Navigon USA and Canada, for those that want the best in offline navigation.
    It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Four Stars. $60
    https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

Last edited by bobj; 10-02-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    DoubleDAZ likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Offline Navigation

What's a good offline navigation app for the Thrive? I have seen several users state they use the thrive for navigation, but not much mention of what apps they were using to do so or how, given that the thrive is not connected to a cell network...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    MapDroyd is one I have on the tablet currently but I must be honest I've not messed with it very much. It was recommended as a good offline map program that I picked up some months ago.
    Toshiba Thrive 10" - CynagenMod 10 "Convoluted Crocodile U3"
    Motorola Atrix 2 (ICS) - Stock
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Retired
    Ubuntu 12.04 32bit
    Kumbuntu 11.11 32bit
    Windows 8 RC 32bit

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobj View Post
    I recommend their Android app, Navigon USA and Canada, for those that want the best in offline navigation.
    It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Four Stars. $60
    https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps[URL="https://market.android.com/details?id=com.navigon.navigator_checkout_us&featu re=search_result"]
    I use a Garmin Nuvi now, but this intrigues me. Price is down to $40, but I see a US version for $30. Didn't look for what map updates cost.

I seem to recall someone saying that the Navigation app will also work offline if you enter your route while you have a wifi connection to get the maps loaded. Once loaded, turn-by-turn should work with GPS only. Is that true?
    batfish and bobj like this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads