• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offline GPS Apps(turn by turn)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    i have mapdroyd and downloaded all united states maps, but how do you enter a route on it? does it have the ability to give directions once i downloaded the maps i needed?

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I trying downloading Navfree. But can't find the U.S. map. Does U.S. map not come free with this app?

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    copolit is a good offline one.its on Google play.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post
    I trying downloading Navfree. But can't find the U.S. map. Does U.S. map not come free with this app?
    You have to install the USA version. Look for navfree usa. Let me know if you like it. It is free, but leaves a lot to be desired. I got totally frustrated with it planning for the trip we're on now and I unistalled it. I suggest you install some maps, turn off wifi, and then try finding locations without access to Google. I forget how many locations I entered, but it didn't find a single one and I could never figure out how to find a POI for anything but my current location, and those were extremely limited. I've lived in my home for 17 yrs now and it couldn'tfind it. It couldn't even find my street even though it shows it on the map. It is better than Maps though because you can download the maps you need, but I found it way to difficultto plana route. Once entered, navigation is okay, it was just too much work to get to that point. YMMV
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 03-30-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Mine worked like a charm.
    It shows exactly where I live and yesterday when I was at Kaiser Hospital it showed me where I was at.
    I am still using Paul's (Dalenet) Rom 0002 which has worked perfectly. So my hat goes off to Paul and his precise ROM.
    Dennis

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Twitter
    LAWNKILLER1
    I just tried TeleNav, came on my LG MyTouch phone, and I turned on the Airplane mode and went for a walk. It didn't work for piss. I kept the Airplane mode on and turned on Navigation, also stock on the phone, It found me and followed my course turns.

As long as the TAb can do that, should be good enough for me.
    UnRooted 16gb Thrive, aka the TAB

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Twitter
    LAWNKILLER1
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    FWIW, I opened Navigator, entered a destination, then went walking down the street to lose wifi, and Navigator kept up using GPS only, pretty accurately I might add. I even came back and took another route and Navigator adjusted. I then closed it and reopened it and the map data was still there. I am going to play with this next spring when we go to GA again to see how it will do on a long trip, especially if I enter the entire route and then change to intermediate stops each day. Wish it allowed for multiple destinations like Google Maps does, but then I wish my Nuvi did that to. LoL

Edit: OMG, I just played with Nav some more and saw how cool the satellite view is.
    Was there a particular setting you had this at? I just tried this when taking my son to school this morning. I set the course at the house with wifi, then as we left I put it into plane mode (this worked on my phone) but nothing happened. So on my way home from school, I turned off plane mode but got the same result.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    UnRooted 16gb Thrive, aka the TAB

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWNKILLER View Post
    Was there a particular setting you had this at? I just tried this when taking my son to school this morning. I set the course at the house with wifi, then as we left I put it into plane mode (this worked on my phone) but nothing happened. So on my way home from school, I turned off plane mode but got the same result.
    No, but then that was way back in Dec for an initial test and I know nothing about "plane" mode. Since then Navigator has apparently been changed to integrate more with Maps. I haven't tested any more because I've since found that the most you can cache is 100 miles and that is just not useful for anything I'd use it for. Still, I was able to enter my route in Maps, then navigate to/from using Navigator. Since someone mentioned NavFree, I decided to totally abandon Maps/Navigator except for just checking distances, etc. I've since given up on NavFree because it simply can't find addresses it should be able to. I have my Garmin Nuvi and the Navigon app, so I simply have no further interest in testing the others. The other problem is I'm on vacation right now, so finding time just to read the forum is difficult.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Ads