• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offline GPS Apps(turn by turn)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    So, if I loaded it on my phone too, I could get traffic on the phone even if I can't get it on my tablet. That would be a benefit. I guess I buy it for the tablet and it will show up as available for my phone automatically. It does look like the FreshMapsXl is an added cost purchase through the app.
    Yes at first I thought FreshMapsXL was added cost, but not so sure now. On their web site I can not find it for other than European maps. And when I go to the Navigon app menu and refresh maps it downloads a state's map - it must be the latest copy??.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    hey @doubledazwife, you are in trouble now, me and hubby hanging out together,, going talk each other into buying lots of apps .... how about Photoshop Touch? ....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I don't know. I did buy Navigon and it's now also downloading to my phone, but I'll probably wait awhile on Photoshop Touch and see if it goes on sale sometime. I will probably buy it before our next trip in April though.

I went ahead with USA&Canada. If nothing else, it will come in handy if the Nuvi breaks while on a trip. I just played with a route to GA, adding some interim stops, and was sold on how easy it is to find motels, etc. With the route planning, I may even be able to give up Google maps. Thanks so much for mentioning it, and I love that I saved $20.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 12-18-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    I must say looks neat, like the live view. Will be fun to see on the next trip. David has been playing with it today. I kept hearing cool. LOL

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys I just bought a 7" Thrive & am learning all the the features it has available. I've been especially interested in the GPS abilities both for road navigation as well as my hobby Geocaching.

It seems that when the Thrive goes to "sleep" the GPS shuts off.... does this sound familiar? This is driving me nuts as I'd like the GPS receiver to continue working even if the screen is shut off.. My Atrix cellphone does this, and so did my previous 7" tablet the Viewsonic Viewpad. What's up with the Thrive?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    I use a Garmin Nuvi now, but this intrigues me. Price is down to $40, but I see a US version for $30. Didn't look for what map updates cost.

I seem to recall someone saying that the Navigation app will also work offline if you enter your route while you have a wifi connection to get the maps loaded. Once loaded, turn-by-turn should work with GPS only. Is that true?
    It should.
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Nope he does what he wants.But last I looked is was both our money.LOL He spends I spend fair is fair as I see it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bobj View Post
    hey @doubledazwife, you
    are in trouble now, me and hubby hanging out together,, going talk each other into buying lots of apps .... how about Photoshop Touch? ....
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 12-22-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't know. I did buy Navigon and it's now also downloading to my phone,
    I've been running this for about a month now and it's a great application. Pricier than many others but it does a great job. I'm already spoiled with a 10" GPS!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I use CoPilot Live. It really works quite well, and makes good use of the tablet size. They have sales quite often which bring the price down to $15 or so (otherwise about $30?) I'm using an older version, but the newer version is better yet (but they don't have upgrade discounts, which is why I haven't gotten it as of yet).

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Are any of these apps good for off road navigation and storing waypoints? I do a lot of wildlife and nature photography and am hoping to use the Thrive GPS 1. To keep track of where I've been and places I may want to return to and 2. To keep my butt from getting lost.
    Are any of the maps detailed enough to show trails in county, state and national parks and lands?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads