• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Offline GPS Apps(turn by turn)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    FWIW, I opened Navigator, entered a destination, then went walking down the street to lose wifi, and Navigator kept up using GPS only, pretty accurately I might add. I even came back and took another route and Navigator adjusted. I then closed it and reopened it and the map data was still there. I am going to play with this next spring when we go to GA again to see how it will do on a long trip, especially if I enter the entire route and then change to intermediate stops each day. Wish it allowed for multiple destinations like Google Maps does, but then I wish my Nuvi did that to. LoL

Edit: OMG, I just played with Nav some more and saw how cool the satellite view is.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 12-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Sounds good! I know it works better than most folks say. This summer, I turned GPS on, got a local fix and then believe I let it go into sleep mode. We then travelled by car for an hour to a remote part of DE (if that is possible!) where an arts, crafts and music festival was being held . While I used the vehicles nav, while there, I cranked on Latitude while watching a group play some blue grass. It found us within a few yards. Tried to check in for some restaurants but the town was so small, there was nothing. So, we found a snack stand on the grounds.
    My only issue with it, is sometimes after coming out of sleep, it takes a while to locate satellites (indoors) and even longer or sometimes it won't use them to fix location. My remedy for this is a reboot which mainly solves the problem. I do know, it sometimes shows no sat or fix info using Chartcross's 'GPS Test yet 'Gas Buddy is working with my actual location. LOL

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Twitter
    goldenicon
    Igo all the way for myself. Tried them all.. just haven't found anything as smooth as Iago's offline GPS solutions.

Rooted Devices: HTC Evo (x2), Nook Color, Logitech Revue (sigh), Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Galaxy S, Asus Transformer
    unRooted Devices: Ego-T, and myself as of late.

IF you find a post that is helpful to you, make sure to click the "like" in the bottom right. Give your fellow users a heads up on what's useful and it's an easy way to contribute.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Twitter
    goldenicon
    I highly recommend downloading gpsstatus. It makes fixes incredibly fast on my evo's and my thrive.

Rooted Devices: HTC Evo (x2), Nook Color, Logitech Revue (sigh), Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Galaxy S, Asus Transformer
    unRooted Devices: Ego-T, and myself as of late.

IF you find a post that is helpful to you, make sure to click the "like" in the bottom right. Give your fellow users a heads up on what's useful and it's an easy way to contribute.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    I use a Garmin Nuvi now, but this intrigues me. Price is down to $40, but I see a US version for $30. Didn't look for what map updates cost.

I seem to recall someone saying that the Navigation app will also work offline if you enter your route while you have a wifi connection to get the maps loaded. Once loaded, turn-by-turn should work with GPS only. Is that true?
    Navigon works just like your Garmin Nuvi. Garmin bought Navigon some time ago. The primary difference is Nuvi comes out of the box with all maps installed. After you install Navigon, (600MB) you then run down a check-list of which states you want to install, the maps are then loaded to sdcard (internal). I bought the US Navigon version, and downloaded all states. Maps for all states take up 1.6GB.
    What is nice about this is you can conserve your sdcard storage by, for example, only loading east coast states.

After that it works like your Nuvi, but on a huge screen; 3D or 2D, speaks street names, reality scanner, photo-realistic highway signs, ...............................Red-light cameras (pic below), etc.

navigon0.jpgAttachment 0navigon3.jpg
    Last edited by bobj; 12-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Last edited by bobj; 12-18-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Wow! I see the discount is good until Jan 5. I don't know how much I'd use this vs my reliable old Nuvi, but I might buy it just because it looks so cool. Do you know how much updates are going to be?
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    looking for that info now ...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Yes, I have a nuvi, also, but i got this to play with it. Better half will have to do a lot of the driving while i am thriving ... since I have a mobile hotspot and a car charge for the thrive this gets me real time traffic also.

Loaded it onto my Android Phone also .... (only pay once for it)

I dont think map updates are extra cost, since you just go to menu and refresh maps by state.

go to this link and click on the FUNCTIONS tab .... WOW

http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/produkte/navigationssoftware/mobile-navigator-android.html

Last edited by bobj; 12-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    So, if I loaded it on my phone too, I could get traffic on the phone even if I can't get it on my tablet. That would be a benefit. I guess I buy it for the tablet and it will show up as available for my phone automatically. It does look like the FreshMapsXl is an added cost purchase through the app.
    Cheers, Dave

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads