• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    NO

How do I close an app?

I am new to the Android and tabs and the TT is my first tablet. Recently I open a few apps to see what they were all about, during my exploring I found that I had two updates to download, I was able to download one but the other one that came out on 08/16, new 3.1 version, could not download because it was loosing the connection, but the connection was excellent. At that point I notice that I had about 5 apps open, I try to close them but could not do it, and right now I have no clue on how to do it. Do any of you, more experience members, know how to do this? I need someone to show me how. Thanks

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi Freddie, welcome to the Tablet world. I'm pretty new to Android myself, having just gotten my Thrive a month ago. I'm afraid the answer to your question is - you can't close an app with the current version of Honeycomb. It seems crazy, but I looked around for the answer myself and that's really the case. The only way to close everything is to turn off the tablet and restart it.

There is an app you can download that claims to do this, but it didn't seem to work for me.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    NO
    Quote Originally Posted by woodside_boomer View Post
    Hi Freddie, welcome to the Tablet world. I'm pretty new to Android myself, having just gotten my Thrive a month ago. I'm afraid the answer to your question is - you can't close an app with the current version of Honeycomb. It seems crazy, but I looked around for the answer myself and that's really the case. The only way to close everything is to turn off the tablet and restart it.

There is an app you can download that claims to do this, but it didn't seem to work for me.
    Thanks, I was also, searching through the Forum, and I got the same info. The only reason I wanted to learn how, is because I was trying to do an update and for some reason it keeps telling me that it was loosing the signal. But the signal was pretty strong, 80+%, so I figure that it could be that the open apps were interfiring with the download. Hopefully someone will tell me what could the problem be. Thanks again

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    The closest you could get to is to press the back button until in goes to the Home screen.
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    You can try to go into Settings>Applications> and force close the app.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Force Closing sometimes can mess something up, and sometimes the app ignores it.
    gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiecolon View Post
    I am new to the Android and tabs and the TT is my first tablet. Recently I open a few apps to see what they were all about, during my exploring I found that I had two updates to download, I was able to download one but the other one that came out on 08/16, new 3.1 version, could not download because it was loosing the connection, but the connection was excellent. At that point I notice that I had about 5 apps open, I try to close them but could not do it, and right now I have no clue on how to do it. Do any of you, more experience members, know how to do this? I need someone to show me how. Thanks
    Regarding your question about getting the update, try powering your Thrive completely off and then restarting it and that may allow you to download the update.

BlueFire

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Just FYI...

I've been using android for almost two years and it takes a while to get used to using it. You really don't have to close apps in the Android system. I realize that this sorta flies in the face of what we have learned as PC users. Android is designed to manage memory on its own. So if you have 50 apps running, Android swaps memory around to make the ones that are actually doing something at the time have the memory that they need; the other stuff gets sloughed off to the cache. Some apps have "Exit" options in the menu and when you are done with these, they are designed for your to exit. Others, you just hit the back button or the Home button and go about your next task. When you haven't used it for a while and Android needs the memory, it will shut the app down. You will read a ton of discussions on whether you should use and app killer with Android and there are a ton of folks on both sides of that particular coin. The article that made the most since to me was written by a OS developer for Motorola that specifically works with Android and he says that task killers will degrade the performance and battery life of Android devices. I won't go through all his reasoning, but he says that task killers are very useful for poorly coded applications or applications that for some reason are misbehaving, otherwise they are not necessary.

Anyway...the long and the short of it... If you have an exit option use it, if not, back out or Home out and enjoy the Android system and don't worry with the small stuff.

BigRedGonzo

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    @bigredgonzo is absolutly correct. The reason you will get shoter battery life if you force close apps is because Android in itself monitore your app use and tries to anticipate what you may need. Also, some apps, like social apps, want to be loaded in the background so you can receive notices. That being said, if you force close an app, a lot will just reload themselves. This is when the app is eating the battery. So if you use a task killer to auto shutdown an app, it goes into a visious cycle of unloading and loading the app in the background. Hence, your battery performance will go down. Let Android do its job. It is so much better then Windows at memory management. If you have an app that missbehaves, then you may need to force close it. Otherwise, just enjoy the OS.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    NO
    Ok, I will try that tonight. Now, does that means that the Thrive will download updates automatically or do I still need to check for updates and do the download manually? As far as closing the apps, I think I got the message on that one and will follow the guidance provided here. Thanks for the schooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads