• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcarver2000

Thread: Antivirus / malware scanner for Thrive?

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Antivirus / malware scanner for Thrive?

I did post this question before, and the reply was to try webroot. I did. But i found it consumed a lot of power. Are there any that are good and do not consume too much battery?
    Last edited by epakrat75; 09-13-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Title clarification - Less broad
    John

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    I like AVG Antivirus Pro. On my smartphones, I prefer Lookout Mobile Security, but it is not yet compatible with the Thrive.
    I will probably add my Thrive to my Lookout Mobile Security Account when it becomes compatible.

-bobj

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [QUOTE=bobj;25954]I like AVG Antivirus Pro. On my smartphones, I prefer Lookout Mobile Security, but it is not yret compatible with the Thrive.
    I will probably add my Thrive to my Lookout Mobile Security Account when it becomes compatible.

Lookout Security & Antivirus is available for Thrive; the user must email Lookout for instructions to obtain it. A friend of mine uses it on her Thrive and I intend to put Lookout on my Thrive this weekend. I will be happy to post the instructions emailed to me from Lookout if you want me to . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    . . . . INSPIREd and THRiVEn

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Could you post directions to download Lookout? I just purchased my Thrive and have Lookout on my phone ansd would love to have my Thive on Lookout also. Thanks

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've got ESET Mobile Security RC installed on mine. I'm a big fan of their security software for PC's and it seems to be working fine. If I find out otherwise, I'll post an update.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Lookout is looking for SMS. Use Getjar to install Lookout.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    mcarver2000,
    could you elaborate, I don't understand your solution to use Getjar to implement Lookout.

Lookout coding uses SMS messaging and a phone number to call and to connect with the device it is locating/locking/wiping/etc.

I have been exchanging emails with the LOOKOUT techs and HayWire Techs to suggest a Solution to get Lookout to work on THRiVE,
    or any WiFi Tablet (without SIM/CDMA) but so far no apparent willingness to explore the possibilities:

My email exchanges follow:

HeyWire interfaced to Lookout for Honeycomb -would benefit both companies
    To HayWire Tech/Development Manager:
    It is probably easiest to post my exchange with Lookout techs:I understand the differences they explain below.
    . I am suggesting HEYWIRE posts to a shared File which LOOKOUT then WAITS for.
    I know it is not a PUSH solution, which they are using for SIMs.
    seeURL:
    http://oss.sgi.com/projects/postwait/
    I would appreciate understanding your take on this opportunity.

-bobj

Kary,Sep-06 10:30 am (PDT):

Hi Bob,
    This is not a matter of the apps not talking to each other. It is a matter of the technology used at hand. C2DM vs SIM. They are different regardless of talking to each other. One uses SMS one uses Network or "Push technology". Bottom line is until we have a complete build this is the limits currently in place for tablets without SIMS. We have already tested the heywire app. It uses SMS.

Thanks for using Lookout!
    Kary,
    The LookoutTeam

bobj,Sep-02 03:24 pm (PDT):
    Hi Kary, I don't understand your answer. As a software developer myself, I know it is entirely possible for an app to hand off data to another app. So why would the Lookout developers not work with the HeyWire developers to agree to the interface? It is a profitable venture for both companies.

Kary,Sep-02 01:44 pm (PDT):

Hi bobj,
    Yes, thank you.We are aware of this however, it is an app. The problem is most tablets do not have a SIM and this is what is needed to use native SMS, 3rd party apps do not use native SMS. Its a completely different technology for Tablets.

Kary,
    The Lookout Team
    __________________________________________________ __
    TO:Lookout Programming Manager,

The app
    HeyWire gives tablet users a phone number and the ability to receive SMS messages. Can you add support to Lookout to interface with HeyWire, so you can offer LOOKOUT for Honeycomb Tablets?
    here is theLink
    http://heywire.com/

Thank you, bobj
    Last edited by bobj; 09-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    From Lookout support:

The reason why you're having trouble finding Lookout in the market for your Android tablet is due to the fact that it doesn't support SMS messages. We rely on SMS messages to initiate a connection to a device in the event it's lost, stolen, etc. Without the ability to receive SMS messages the missing device features would be greatly hindered, however, device based backups and malware protection would work normally.

Until we release a version that's more compatible with your tablet you can install it using this alternate method:

The first thing you'll want to do is enable the installation of non-market applications. To do this:

Go to settings > application > and check the box next to "Unknown Sources." Go ahead and disregard the warning (by clicking OK), we can uncheck it later.

Next, back out of Settings and open up the web browser.

In the address bar delete everything that's there and type this in (minus quotes): "m.getjar.com" and hit enter.

Now click on "Android" under "Or, Choose your platform." This will bring you to another page where you will see a search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

*Please note that if GetJar doesn't recognize your particular device just enter Android and selet any android device. If you are prompted to enter a phone number just enter "droid" (minus quotes).

Tap the search box, to insert the cursor, and type "Lookout" and tap "go". The search will produce one result, which is "Lookout"

Tap on the link "Lookout Mobile Security with Antivirus".

You will now be on another page that displays instructions on how to instal applications through GetJar.

Pulldown the notification window and under Notifications tap on the download icon (it looks like a downward facing arrow pointing at a line) with the word "DownloadHelper.apk," then when asked if you want to "install this application" select install.

The tablet will show that it's beginning to download the file and you'll see the progress, of the download, in the notification bar. Then select Open.

Once the Getjar application is on the device the Lookout application will install shortly after, this might take a moment.

A window that says "Package Installer" pops up. From here you can read the permissions that Lookout requires. Go ahead and tap "Install".

Your installation will start. Tap "Open" once the installation has finished to open Lookout.

Finish setting up Lookout as you normally would!
    bobj likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    mcarver2000, Thanks much!

That gives me the detail I was missing and I was getting stuck when I could not find the Thrive on the getjar site! Very helpful!

-bobj

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy1068 View Post
    Could you post directions to download Lookout? I just purchased my Thrive and have Lookout on my phone ansd would love to have my Thive on Lookout also. Thanks
    Here is the reply sent from Lookout to me to enable me to get Lookout on my Thrive:

Yvette Kay, Sep-06 03:41 pm (PDT): Hi Hummingbirdhill,
    Please use the instructions for the Xoom tablet they will work the same for the Thrive.
    The reason why you're having trouble finding Lookout in the market on your tablet is due to the fact that it doesn't support SMS messages. We rely on SMS messages to initiate a connection to a device in the event it's lost, stolen, etc. Without the ability to receive SMS messages the missing device features would be greatly hindered, however, device based backups and malware protection would work normally.
    Until we release a version that's more compatible with your tablet you can install it using this alternate method:
    The first thing you'll want to do is enable the installation of non-market applications. To do this:
    Go to settings > application > and check the box next to "Unknown Sources." Go ahead and disregard the warning (by clicking OK), we can uncheck it later.
    Next, back out of Settings and open up the web browser and browse over to http://ow.ly/6kkZV. This will download our app to your tablet. Then you should go to your downloads window (usually accessible from your browser itself) and click on the file that starts with 'com.lookout'. That will get the app installed on your tablet and then you can log in with your email address and a password of your choice. Then you should be all set.
    Thank you for using Lookout.
    hummingbirdhill
    . . . . INSPIREd and THRiVEn

Remove Ads

Ads