• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Coopz
  • 1 Post By Torrid

Thread: YAUMT - Yet Antoher Use for My Thrive - screen mirroring

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

YAUMT - Yet Another Use for My Thrive - screen mirroring

Well, it took me quite awhile, but I was able to get screen mirroring working on my Toshiba Thrive running 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Here are the steps I eventually took to get it to work:
    1). Had upgraded to the ICS 4.0.4, so I rooted the device with DaleNetPL directions, computer via USB cable to Thrive: [Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool
    2). Used an SD card to install the Kuroikaze Shinka CM10 with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (had to perform the full wipe to get it to install, downloaded to computer and copied to SD card after ClockworkMod was installed): [ROM] Kuroikaze Shinka CM10
    I chose the above ROM after reading pio's overview and it seemed to be the latest and the greatest: [Guide] Your walkthrough of Jelly Bean ROMs for the Thrive 10"
    3). Installed the GAPPS: Thrive Rooting Tutorial for us Noob's!
    4). Installed Aptoide to get alternate versions of applications: Aptoide - Android Apps Store
    5). installed 1.11.9 version of Chromecast from Aptoide
    6). Installed Mirror4Casting app from Google Play Store. Occasionally I have to mess with starting and stopping the service, refreshing the chromecast and turning off/on casting, but it works. Note: this is only video mirroring, not so much of a big deal for me, I just do the audio via bluetooth to my soundbar on my flat screen.
    7). I also overclocked my Thrive for both min/max processor speed to be 1408 MHz for some extra zip.

Result:
    Full screen mirror, can share my Thrive screen to my large flat screen. Web browsing shared screen is smooth; apps like Youtube, HBO GO and Comcast work better casting from their own apps, but the coolness factor is there when people see me sharing my Thrive screen on web or apps that do not have chromecast option. If you are interested, please follow these instructions and help improve the process. One is only supposed to be able to screen share/screen mirror on Andriod KitKat 4.4+

Lessons learned:
    1). I should have backed up my tablet from the beginning before rooting, but I only did it from inside the ICS 4.0.4, which really didn't backup it up at all. Only later did I realize that a real advantage to rooting is to backup the entire device to a zip file, which could then be restored.
    2). This forum post was very helpful to me for an overview of the rooting process: Correct Root tool/method for Thrive build 10 IMM76.01.000072314 ; this was also helpful: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2013971
    3). Initially had problems finding the ADB USB drivers, but I believe it was because different directions were supplied with the wrong links. Once I was able to get the ADB drivers installed things went smoother
    4). When something fails in the instructions you are following, simply repeat the step again. I ran into problems initially gaining root access, problems with superuser manifest file and finally the Mirror4Cast app. Just reread the instructions and performed it again, and it worked in each of these 3 instances 2nd time around.
    5). There was a ton of worry and consternation on the interwebs about the headphone audio not working with the Kuroikaze Shinka CM10 - mine works just fine.
    6). This article helped me a lot...oh, you actually need to use an SD card was my initial response: How to root a Toshiba Thrive tablet - TechRepublic
    7). Thanks to all the resources that helped make this possible: DalePL, Pio, danvee and everyone else who's tidbits here and there made this work
    Last edited by Coopz; 10-01-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: cleanup late night post
    panda and Late2theParty like this.
    Rooted Toshiba Thrive Jelly Bean 412

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Nice!
    Coopz likes this.
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Remove Ads

Ads