• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    So does that mean with backtdrack I can use a 3g dongle?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    hi everyone, i am new to this forum and forums in general.
    @bilgediver , i think the 3g usb dongle has to have a module loaded into the android kernel for that to work, as bt5 is a chroot environment it binds the android /dev directory to the root directory of the bt5 chroot environment and thats where the device file is that you communicate with. you would have to have the 3g dongle recognised within android first to use it in the bt5 env.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

size limit

The size was the problem for me...
    the official Arm bt5.img file is 5.8 GB!!!
    so could not get it copied to my Internal Thrive, less to the SD Card (formatted as FAT32)...

However I found someone who trimmed the empty space off the official release to 3.2 GB
    and he produced a script making it extremely easy to load...
    He warns Very Unstable, but it worked great for me, using VNC Viewer...

BackTrack 5 for Android Smartphones - VERY UNSTABLE [Archive] - xda-developers

BackTrack 5 in chroot on Android Michael Powell's Blog

nice to have Linux on one's Thrive, the resolution and speed are pretty good too...
    what is missing is an integrated virtual keyboard inside Ubuntu... (the VNC one is very intrusive)
    the mouse pointer works great though (i.e. VNC loads a mouse from the Ubuntu driver which takes it from the Android)...
    another thing is if it were able to have its own USB hardware layer, like VMWare or VirtualBox, then it could bypass the USB limitations of the Android Host...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    The size limit was an issue for me aswell. I used an external usb 8gb formatted as ext4 for backtrack5 and it worked fine, i just had to mount my ext4 drive by command line but i put in some mount checks in the boobt so if it wasnt mounted it would set it all up for me, i would only have to run bootbt to mount my drive and be away in bt5. Just update the bootbt script var $kit to point at the location where the bt5-arm image is.

also, i dont think the kernel in a chroot environment is booted, i think it uses the host kernel which is why you have to have the module loaded in android first, usb hardware layer would just detach it from the host so it can be passed to the guest no? if this is correct then there would still be no driver in the environment to utilize the hardware.

I still have alot to learn so please correct me if i am wrong.
    Last edited by Andreotti; 04-19-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgrau2000 View Post
    The size was the problem for me...
    the official Arm bt5.img file is 5.8 GB!!!
    so could not get it copied to my Internal Thrive, less to the SD Card (formatted as FAT32)...
    The instructions say use an 8Gb or more formatted as ext2. I run linux so this is trivial for me.

The kernel in the environment isn't running, but I am rooted (on that thrive) and am ready to update the kernel or add modules.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

3.2 gb

Well I did not have a spare 8GB SD card, so it suited me fine to get a hold of the trimmed version

also, I copied the image to Internal, so it is faster... and I can also use if from my FAT32 32GB formatted card too
    I might run into difficulties if I wish to download loads of extra software from Ubuntu repository... but I doubt I will do that...
    when I want to fool around with Ubuntu, I have the full version Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 11.10 on a separate partition on PC...

by the way the keyboard that comes with Terminal Emulator (the ChainsDD Gang behind SuperUser) is pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
    The instructions say use an 8Gb or more formatted as ext2. I run linux so this is trivial for me.

The kernel in the environment isn't running, but I am rooted (on that thrive) and am ready to update the kernel or add modules.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

Smile happy piglet in mud

yeah...

managed to get the BT5 full size working on an 8 GB USB storage dongle I formatted to ext2-fs...

it seems to be even faster than from the trimmed BT5 I found for Internal Storage...

that taught me how to mount and unmount an ext2-fs drive on my Thrive

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

USB arm bt5

This would be great..
    Anyone know of a link to a tutorial to make arm loadable flash drive with bt5?
    Last edited by Exerp; 06-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads