• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My Comparison of CoPilot, Navigon, and Sygic

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Absolutely still awake. Thanks for adding your experience with CoPilot, I found it enlightening, especially the parts about the size/weight. I pretty much came to that same conclusion and decided to buy a new Garmin or take their $35 deal until mine came back to life.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks MobileMail,

Good to hear from another user.

Let's keep this thread alive.

Tony

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    I just installed sygic. I don't see a cost yet. It must be for the maps.
    Edit. It's a 14 day trial. I wish I would've known I'd have waited.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
    Thanks MobileMail,

Good to hear from another user.

Let's keep this thread alive.

Tony
    Though I have not tried the Navigon app, I've tested several other Nav apps on my Thrive.

Google Nav review
    Google Nav review - Laptop GPS World

MapQuest Navigation Review
    MapQuest Navigation Review - Laptop GPS World

ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation
    Anyone ever try "ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation" ? - Laptop GPS World

ALK CoPilot
    Review: ALK CoPilot Live 8 Truck for Laptop - Page 6 - Laptop GPS World

I had a lot of trouble downloading CoPilot.
    Unable to download CoPilot - Laptop GPS World
    It turns out that ALK's "system" somehow requires it to be downloaded over Wi-Fi (or cellular data network). When My Thrive was connected via a USB ethernet adapter, it worked with any part of the internet I wanted - except ALK's download system. I only paid $10 for CoPilot Premium (it was on sale through the end of August), and I'm not sure it's worth that. I guess it is though, just because it could replace a number of maps that would cost more than $10. CoPilot's nav functions sometimes can't figure out what to do, as in this example
    (dark green dots show the correct route; light green shows the route CoPilot came up with. 2nd image is actual screen capture from the Thrive):
    3282d1345567815-google-map-jackinthebox-area.jpg
    Instead, CoPilot gave me this impossible route:
    3281d1345567815-copilot-screenshot_2012-08-19-21-04-33.jpg
    ...that would have required crashing through two fences, going down a steep embankment and across a deep culvert. Nice, huh?

One thing I've noticed is that none of the apps really seem to get full utilization out of the larger higher-res displays like the Thrive has. The main navigational screen may use all the available area, but otherwise they look just like smartphone apps blown up to tablet size, forcing you to shuffle through far more screens than you really should have to on a 1280x800 display.

I also haven't found a nav app that audibly informs you when it has revised the route to accomodate a diversion off the pre-planned route. This is important because unless it does that, you have to keep watching the screen for the route to change in order to determine if it is still trying to make you go back to the original route (in which case you probably want to ignore the instructions), or if it has revised the route (in which case you probably want to follow the instructions). Garmins announce "recalculating" for this reason; it would be beneficial if nav apps announced that too (or said something like, "Route updated").

I am also particularly disappointed with the way all PNDs and Mapping/Nav programs handle POIs (including MS S&T and Street Atlas for that matter, though they have a different set of probems than the Androis nav apps I've tried).
    CoPilot is the only Android nav app I've found so far that lets you see more than one POI at a time on a map, and it has some really stupid limitations in how this works (e.g.: search results are limited to 50, and you can only see 10 at a time on a map screen; have to shuffle between five screens to see all 50). Most other apps work like standalone GPS PNDs: you get a list (which usually leaves a lot of unused space on a larger tablet) and have to pick one from that list to see it on a map.

You'd think it wouldn't take much sense to realize that the way Google Maps or Mapquest displays POIs (on a map, keyed to a legend; distinctive logos would be even better) is a lot easier than having to pick POIs one by one to see them on a map (in an unfamiliar area, you have no idea which one is which based just on the address).
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 09-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Does the Thrive GPS receiver need to be on the dashboard to get a better "view" of the satellites or will the GPS receiver work OK with the Thrive anywhere in a vehicle?
    I have found that with a clear view of the sky, it takes about two minutes for CoPilot to get the GPS fix, a lot slower than my standalone GPS PNDs or the USB GPS receiver that came with Streets & Trips, which take less than 30 seconds.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 09-13-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Not really sure exactly what you're saying, but Navigon shows me every POI or just those I want to see. For example, a major intersection near me is Bell Rd and 83rd Ave. I can see the service stations, restaurants, shopping, etc. Some, like Best Buy, are identified by their logo. If I long-press on any one, I get a list of all others within 100'. As I scroll along Bell Rd, I see all the others pop up. If I zoom in, it adds names for many of them, like Red Robin, PF Chang's, Penny's, Bank of America, etc. That's just one reason why I don't regret hastily buying Navigon when it was half-price last Christmas.

I can also get a straight list from any location I enter. The list also can be selective and it displays based on distance from the location. If I look for a McDonald's, I can see all other POIs in the area. IMHO, the only thing missing is a way to compute distances between stops like Google Maps Online does. It's easy enough to compute, but it takes extra steps to do it. If I enter El Paso, then San Antonio, I want to know how far San Antonio is from El Paso, not from Phoenix.

Navigon is expensive, but it's a lot less than standalone GPS units and so much better than CoPilot @$15 and Sygic @$40. But, CoPilot and Sygic also display multiple POIs as I browse the same location. That's why I say I'm not sure what you are saying. However, they don't display as many and you have to click on each one to see the name. Sygic has a pretty nice 3D display too and it looks like it's been improved since I did my review, so I may have to revisit my review. I still have both free versions and I still use all 3 to one degree or another when planning a road trip, though mostly Navigon.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Not really sure exactly what you're saying, but Navigon shows me every POI or just those I want to see. For example, a major intersection near me is Bell Rd and 83rd Ave. I can see the service stations, restaurants, shopping, etc. Some, like Best Buy, are identified by their logo. If I long-press on any one, I get a list of all others within 100'. As I scroll along Bell Rd, I see all the others pop up.
    If it allows you to do that when searching for a POI, that's what I've been looking for. CoPilot doesn't do that, at least not when in the search mode.
    You can chose to have CoPilot show all POIs ahead while navigating, but all you see are the category icons, so you don't know which one is which within any category, and they are either all on or all off, so the clutter of those you aren't interested in interferes with seeing those you are interested in. It also works this way when browsing the map around your current location, but as in the nav mode, the POIs are either all on, or all off; you can't pick which categories are displayed.

If I zoom in, it adds names for many of them, like Red Robin, PF Chang's, Penny's, Bank of America, etc. That's just one reason why I don't regret hastily buying Navigon when it was half-price last Christmas.
    I didn't test Navigon yet. I have been dissuaded so far by the price (and no trial version), and the not exactly stellar reviews (nearly equal number of 5 star and 1 star reviews).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WNrb3V0X25hIl0.
    But your review makes me think it might be worth giving it a try.

Right now the NAVIGON USA&CAN version is $39.95, which oddly enough is $10 less than the USA only version. How much was Navigon on sale for last Christmas?

I can also get a straight list from any location I enter. The list also can be selective and it displays based on distance from the location. If I look for a McDonald's, I can see all other POIs in the area. IMHO, the only thing missing is a way to compute distances between stops like Google Maps Online does. It's easy enough to compute, but it takes extra steps to do it. If I enter El Paso, then San Antonio, I want to know how far San Antonio is from El Paso, not from Phoenix.

Navigon is expensive, but it's a lot less than standalone GPS units and so much better than CoPilot @$15 and Sygic @$40. But, CoPilot and Sygic also display multiple POIs as I browse the same location. That's why I say I'm not sure what you are saying. However, they don't display as many and you have to click on each one to see the name. Sygic has a pretty nice 3D display too and it looks like it's been improved since I did my review, so I may have to revisit my review. I still have both free versions and I still use all 3 to one degree or another when planning a road trip, though mostly Navigon.
    As for what I've described about not showing POIs on a map, no standalone GPS PND I've ever tried does that, including the 7" Magellan (but I have not tried any of the newer large screens Garmin/TomTom PNDs). When you search for a POI, most PNDs & nav apps show the search results in a list (usually a short list on each screen, with additional results on subsequent screens that you have to shuffle through; CoPilot has one long scrolling list). Unless you already know (based on the address) which one you want, you are forced to click on them one by one, and go to the next step to see that one only on a map.

When people in an unfamiliar area are trying to find something (especially if it's one of many with the same name in a list, e.g.: a particular fast food restaurant), they probably do not know which one is which just by reading the address. They need to be able to see them on a map that also shows the current position.
    People who are traveling, and looking for a specific POI (of which there are several within the search range) may not necessarily want the one that is closest; they probably want the next one along their route. This can be accomplished be seeing them (and your current location) on a map, not in a text list arranged by distance from the current location.

What is needed is a way to see all the POIs in the search results on a map, all at once. This may not be feasible on a small device like a phone or a 4" PND, but it sure is feasible on a higher-res tablet or laptop. This absent (or poorly implemented in the case of CoPilot) capability is particularly glaring considering that a search for POIs using Google Maps or MapQuest shows the search results on a map (which seems like such common sense that just about all other online maps, including store locators, do that too).

Unlike most standalone PNDs, CoPilot does allow you to see as many as ten POIs on a map at once, out of a list of 50.
    For most POIs, that may not sound like a restrictive limit, but for restaurants it sure is.
    If you search for restaurants in CoPilot, you get a list like this...

Screenshot_2012-08-21-12-38-36.JPG
    (BTW: notice the duplicate "Dairy Queen" on this list? That happened with several other restaurants, too. ALK has no answer as to why this happens)
    ...and then when you press the "Map" button at the upper right, you get something like this...
    CoPilot Screenshot_2012-08-19-10-24-14-1.jpg
    where a maximum of 10 POIs (nine in the screen above) will display on the map at one time, and you have to shuffle to the next screen to see another group.
    No other POIs show up no matter where you pan/move to on the map.
    In order to find out which one is which, you have to press on each one, one by one.
    That's potentially many extra presses of exact spots on a map, or picking them one by one from the search results list, which can be difficult to do in a moving vehicle, even for someone who isn't driving. While this approach may be needed on a 4" smartphone, there's no reason to do this on a high-res tablet or laptop screen.

I went into this a bit here: Does CoPilot 8 laptop version show the searched location on a map? - Laptop GPS World
    and started getting into in more detail here: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/4193-c...s-p2#post43940
    But it also doesn't show the nametags of any of them, unless one was selected before pressing the map button, and there are several other problems with how CoPilot handles this, which I detailed (with screen captures) here: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/4193-c...s-p2#post43951

From your review, and your comments above, it sounds like Navigon handles it better.
    The use of logos (if possible) is generally preferable to icons keyed by number to a text list (as with Google Maps or MapQuest).
    In Streets & Trips, user-added POIs can have a custom image associated with them, but that's the only only I've found so far that used logos, which if properly implemented are more recognizable than anything else.

One other question I have (unrelated to POIs) is, at specifically what distances does Navigon alert you of an upcoming turn?
    CoPilot gives alerts at three fixed distances: 2 miles, 1 mile and 0.3 miles (the user can enable or disable each one, but cannot change the values):
    CoPilot Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-52-24.JPG
    CoPilot does not dynamically change (or more importantly, reduce) those distances based on speed or the next turn being closer.
    In a close situation (urban interchanges), CoPilot sometimes provides no annunciation at all. Of course the driver could just sit there watching the display instead of the road, but as far as I'm concerned, that defeats the purpose, because it makes driving more hazardous than not using a nav system.

Because of the choice they made for the closest distance, CoPilot also annunciates "point-three miles," which is not as easy to hear in a noisy car, instead of "quarter-mile" or "half-mile" that is typical for most PNDs. During my testing of CoPilot, my driver repeatedly commented that she was unable to hear the word "point," which would make it confusing to anyone who didn't already know that CoPilot was never going to announce a turn 3 miles ahead.

CoPilot handles the "Turn Now" announcement the same way with fixed distances (no dynamic adjustment based on speeds or distances), and offers choices that are way too far away, and even the closest one (50 yards) is still pretty far for urban driving, and I can't imagine why anyone would need a "Turn Now" announcement 300 yards before the turn (which is nearly 60% of the 0.3 mile upcoming turn announcement), even on a high-speed interstate:
    CoPilot Screenshot_2012-09-14-14-54-25.JPG

Not that it really matters too much, but just to show how inconsistent things are in CoPilot, notice that the order of the "Turn Now" distances is reversed from the order of the "Turn Warning" distances. By itself, this is a minor detail, but it's just one example of many others like it, some of which do degrade usability.

Dave, i
    f you get a chance to post any screen captures of how Navigon displays POIs on a map (or anything else you want to show), I'd appreciate it.

Thankyou for taking the time to post your experiences here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 09-14-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    FYI: There are two new entrants to the Android off-line Nav app arena:

Scout by Telenav – Your Daily Personal Navigator
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.scout_us
    I assume the Android version will also have the local map feature discussed here:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...ation-offline/

This was long overdue:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-october-2012/
    '...locally stored map data and lifetime map updates'
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 09-14-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneNomad View Post
    Dave, if you get a chance to post any screen captures of how Navigon displays POIs on a map (or anything else you want to show), I'd appreciate it.
    Give me some time to digest all that and I'll see what I can come up with, I may not have fully understood what you're after.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Cheers, Dave

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads