• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My Comparison of CoPilot, Navigon, and Sygic

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    It could be that the Suburban was used and GM sent them a complete re-install. Either way, next time it's their turn.

An example of problems with the GM unit was a simple 1.5-hr trip from Richmond Hill GA to the Mill Creek Park baseball complex in Statesboro GA. GM couldn't find the park in its POI database, so I used a nearby school. Then it insisted we take US-25 off I-16 when SR-67 was much shorter/quicker.

CoPilot couldn't find the park either, but it did route us the right way. In fact, neither of the 2 alternates used US-25.

Navigon also couldn't find the park and it took me SR-80 because it considers both time and distance, SR-80 being 4 miles shorter. Navigon let me see just these2 points, but add my current location as soon as navigation started, which only makes sense.

Sygic forced me to jump through hoops to see just these 2 points and also added my current location when it finished calculating the route. The difference is navigation is the default in Sygic, that's why it constantly re-calculates the route. It also used SR-80. It had some trouble with my daughter's street because ST/SAINT are different, unlike FT/FORT for cities. I guess you just get used to trying both.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Just like the convention of, say, Route 46 vs US Highway 46 vs RT46. I worked with an Infiniti/Nissan (Panasonic) system that had those issues.
    And what about Smith Road, which is in the Navtec database as CR (County Route)315?
    Having not used a handheld Nav in 5-6 years, have they improved on these quirks yet?
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Just like the convention of, say, Route 46 vs US Highway 46 vs RT46. I worked with an Infiniti/Nissan (Panasonic) system that had those issues.
    And what about Smith Road, which is in the Navtec database as CR (County Route)315?
    Having not used a handheld Nav in 5-6 years, have they improved on these quirks yet?
    My late Nuvi Jack from2007 only asks for the number and then displays all the designations that match for you to select the one you want. It does the same for St, Ave, Ct, etc., as well as E, W, etc.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Well, I was able to do a little navigation test today. I received an email saying a library book was ready for pickup. Since my truck needed a bath too, I included it as a waypoint. And, since I know the usual route, I was able to deviate from suggested routes to see how the apps responded. Unfortunately, I was only able to test 2 of the 3 apps. Based on my previous comments, I'm sure you already know I chose to test Navigon and Sygic.

However, I did enter the destinations into CoPilot and it was the only one that suggested the route I took, though I have no idea why. Unfortunately, once again it failed to find the Costco/library POIs and I had to resort to the internet search. Another however though is that as I go through these tests, I'm finding that there are other things about CoPilot I really like, so I'm not at all ready to write it off and will amend my earlier statement to the contrary.

Anyway, I used Sygic to get to Costco's car wash and then in the opposite direction to the library, I then used Navigon to bring me home. Suffice it to say, they all do a decent job, so I would not hesitate to use any of them for navigation. Some things I noticed:

-- It's best to have a solid GPS lock before going too far. They both kept giving me fits because they were estimating my location. They wanted to start from the street on the side of my house instead of the one in front and it makes a difference. Once they got a lock, they calculated the correct beginning leg. That's not to say the other would not have gotten me there, it would have, but there is a difference in distance, even though it's probably measured in yards. But, I felt it worth mentioning for those who complain whenever a GPS unit doesn't route the way they think it should.

-- Navigon appears to do a better job of lane guidance. I pulled up to a 5-lane intersection and Sygic showed me only 2 of the lanes, whereas Navigon showed me all 5 lanes at a similar intersection. To be fair, Sygic showed me the lanes I could use, whereas Navigon showed them all and color-coded the ones I could use minimizing any confusion.

-- Navigon was better at announcing upcoming turns, etc., earlier than Sygic. I don't know yet if there are settings for this.

-- Sygic appears to have many more options for what, if any, POIs you want displayed. Some, like Forest Area, are even a bit humorous. However, Navigon displays what they are, like a colorful Denny's icon, rather than a generic icon.

On a broader note, I've come to realize that the alternate route option offered by CoPilot (and Google online) is not all that necessary, but it is useful when planning a long-distance trip because it will display 2 other routes that you might not otherwise consider. In my case, I would never have considered using I-10 vs I-40, much less going through Dallas, until CoPilot/Google showed me just how little difference there was in mileage/time. Therefore, I intend to keep CoPilot around, even though I have no idea how often I'll use that option. It's the same with Sygic for it's ability to display mileage/time between waypoints. That alone makes it worth keeping for the 2nd stage in planning. I'll play with starting by using CoPilot to evaluate alternate routes, then move to Sygic to determine stops, followed by Navigon for the final plan and actual navigation. Plus, there will always be enhancements to all 3 to consider.

Even now, it would be hard for me to pick just one. I could manage with any of them, including Navfree USA. Cost is a factor and CoPilot is hard to beat at $15, but then, so is Navfree USA at $0. I fully intend to watch for discounts on both CoPilot and Sygic in the coming months.

Navigon still gets my nod for its ability to find my address and POIs without resorting to an internet search, its ability to plan/save a route between any 2 destinations, and that I got it at a steep discount.

Sygic loses points because it insists on recalculating/navigating after adding each waypoint and it is the only one that does not let me plan/save a route between 2 destinations without adding my current location to the beginning. For example, let's say I want to plan a trip from Phoenix to Savannah, then on to Green Bay, and finally Denver before returning home. Sygic will only let you plan the entire route. You can fool it somewhat to show you the separate legs, but you cannot save them separately.

Now, you might say, "So what?". I'll be glad to tell you.

-- enter Savannah -- it calculates Phoenix to Savannah.
    -- enter Green Bay -- it recalculates Phoenix to Savannah to Green Bay.
    -- enter Denver -- it recalculates Phoenix to Savannah to Green Bay to Denver.
    -- enter Home -- it recalculates Phoenix to Savannah to Green Bay to Denver to Home.

Now, imagine adding just the waypoints for lodging; Ft Stockton/Houston/Tallahassee, Knoxville/Indianapolis, Omaha, and Albuguerque. It recalculates after each one of those. Then start adding other waypoints for visits, etc., and those recalculations. And recalulations do not take mere seconds. Add in mistakes and changes. I already know all the stops, but think about how long this would take if I didn't. And what if I plan on flying to Savannah, meeting someone there, and going on the Green Bay? Gosh, I think I'm talking myself out of Sygic, darn.....

My goal is extensive route planning on the Thrive. The shame is none of this would be needed if Google Maps Online worked on the Thrive, but it doesn't, so here I am. I only recently added navigation because my Nuvi broke. I'll keep looking for ways to make Sygic work better for my purposes and I'll keep reporting my findings here.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Does the Thrive GPS receiver need to be on the dashboard to get a better "view" of the satellites or will the GPS receiver work OK with the Thrive anywhere in a vehicle?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    A clear view, unobstructed by metal, is always a better idea. Mine worked OK low on the dash (on the console).
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Does the Thrive GPS receiver need to be on the dashboard to get a better "view" of the satellites or will the GPS receiver work OK with the Thrive anywhere in a vehicle?
    I just had it sitting at an angle between the 2 seats in my quad-cab truck. One end was on the floor, the other was resting on the side of passenger seat facing me. Obviously, I'd figure out a better mount for a "real" trip, but it worked fine that low.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Just a quick update. My Nuvi has been given a 2nd life. An email to Garmin got me instructions to try recalibrating the display and it worked. I didn't even know there was such an option. If that hadn't worked, they offered to replace it for only $35.

Anyway, this development kind of means I won't be as aggressive in my further testing of these 3 navigation apps as they relate to turn-by-turn directions. I won't test CoPilot for sure since there is no reason for me to spend the money now. I have been testing Navigon more and I'm convinced it's the best of the lot. However, that has to be tempered by its higher cost. My experience so far says it's (1) Navigon, (2) Sygic, and (3) CoPilot, if cost is not a factor. If it is, then just reverse them. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as you understand the pros/cons of each when you make your decision. I don't expect to find any surprises though, so I think this thread might be done.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Just a quick update. My Nuvi has been given a 2nd life. An email to Garmin got me instructions to try recalibrating the display and it worked. I didn't even know there was such an option. If that hadn't worked, they offered to replace it for only $35.
    The "resurrection" of your Nuvi tweaked me to recall the 1976 Xerox Super Bowl ad. In the words of Brother Domenic's monsignor, "It's a miracle". (Xerox Monk Ad - YouTube)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, (KitKat 4.4.2)
    LG Spectrum 2 (JB 4.1.2), Inactivated
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Gifted (JB 4.1.2, rooted)
    THRiVE 10.1, Gifted (IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4))

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You really do a thorough review! I am a "road warrior" for my job, driving every week, so I thought I would add my experience.

I have been using the Copilot premium version on a 10" Toshiba Thrive and a 7" Acer Iconia Tab A100. Both are Wifi only. I drive a full size truck already equipped with a laptop mount that I can sit the Thrive on. For the Acer I have a windshield suction cup tablet mount that I prefer to mount as low and to the left as possible, so that it is visible between the mirror and the left side of the windshield.

As far as I'm concerned, a navigation aid is only valuable if I can place it close enough to my normal range of vision to be considered one of my vehicle instruments. Lacking this qualification, it is another distraction that continually pulls my eyes from the road for too long. (No, I don't text or handle a phone at all when I drive, I see to many idiots.)

Even the 7" tablet is difficult to mount reliably because of its weight, especially when an offset bracket is needed to get the tablet to the proper viewpoint. It isn't fun to have the windshield mount pop loose just before the exit in rush hour traffic...so I've heard.... I think the 4.3-5" android devices would be a better fit for this, I just can't justify buying a phone because I already have a Blackberry tethered to me at all times.

My second mistake was buying a 7" tablet when I knew it would be used for navigation. The huge data file is now causing me low space errors, even though Copilot allows me to load maps by region. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow for map data to be offloaded to the SD card. If you plan to use an Android device for navigation, I definitely recommend a device with at least 16GB native storage.

The next important issue is power. Both of these tablets require a laptop-like charger, so I had to buy a special auto charger, a different one for each. One more vote for a smaller device that will charge via USB. For audio, I plug the tablet's audio output into the accessory input of my truck, and have podcasts playing in the background.

Now to the Copilot software. I've been using it on Android for about 7 months, I used it on Windows Mobile 6 before that. I've mentioned the storage concerns. The voice is also a little unpleasant. I purchased sVox Classic in Google Play and changed the voice to something that is more pleasant and still articulates full street names and exits. The sVox software, by the way, is actually an upgrade to the Android system, so all voice apps using it should improve. The new sVox voice can be selected in a user menu in Copilot.

CoPilot, like all navigation devices and software, is not perfect. I have had it tell me to turn where no exit was available, or just not have a street. Ditto with other nav aids I experienced. But overall, I have found it to be accurate a high enough percentage of the time that I haven't found the need to seek a replacement. If a nav aid lets me down much, it's gone. I like the idea that you can submit a map change right from the app menu, and even connect that with a description and and GPS track. Periodically I get an email that my changes were incorporated and present in the next map update, which happens quarterly. I like the fact that I spent 10 bucks on a nav aid and the maps get updated regularly for free. This is much better than the other model where you buy the device, then pay half the device's cost every year for new maps.

In conclusion, I have found that an navigation app with offline maps is essential for my needs. Copilot has met my needs, but I believe I would be happy using it on a slightly different device.

If you're still awake, I applaud you...
    DoubleDAZ and WCCFLY like this.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads