• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

Ghost Commander Difficulties

For anyone still following my trials/tribulations with GC, here's the latest. It has been running fine since I last cleared data. So far, the only thing I've resisted re-doing is checking the Prefs options to:
    Show root and mounts
    Warn on leaving /sdcard
    Automatic root mode

As near as I can remember, I've done everything else I've done before and so far so good. I'm going to leave it alone again tomorrow before I try re-setting those 3 options 1 at a time. I have to remember to force an SMB error when I set each of those options to make sure that combination doesn't mess up something. I've done that with everything else and I'm still good.

So, if anyone (mcarver?) has any/all of those options set, please let me know. I like GC more and more as I use it, but I'm sure I'll keep ES File Explorer around for it's slide-show feature. GC can interface, but ES still needs to be installed for that to work. If course, I'm open to a decent slide-show app that GC can offer as an option, so ES isn't the be all.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Ok, no one responded, so I guess no one using GC has those options checked. GC has run great all day, so I'm going to set "Show root and mounts" to see what happens tonight and tomorrow.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I am using GC with all those options enabled without any problems. GC has been a great file manager for me and when errors are made, it is me not the app.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFire View Post
    I am using GC with all those options enabled without any problems. GC has been a great file manager for me and when errors are made, it is me not the app.
    Thank you. Might I ask if you are rooted, etc.?
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

smb issues

I tried to use ghost commander (having even paid for it) because I like the two panes side by side like good old norton Commander...

however it keeps on breaking on me with smb transfers...

writing to the dev who has tried to be helpful with me, he still is awaiting for feddback on getting a log from a cat command, as usual, I did not follow up on this (story of my life), and creatures' comfort, am content to use stuff from the PC (qtADB, push, pull to move things around)...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Ok, no one responded, so I guess no one using GC has those options checked. GC has run great all day, so I'm going to set "Show root and mounts" to see what happens tonight and tomorrow.
    Not a good person to answer, but for whatever it's worth, here goes:
    I only dabbled in there. Most is over my head and I'd rather not break the Thrive doing something stupid.
    1. Warn on leaving sdcard - it's on, but I have no idea what it does.
    2. When I tried Auto Root Mode, when I clicked any file, the main, perhaps only option, was a RUN command. So I don't run anything. Suspect it's a vital feature for the experts. Also when this is enabled, Superuser logging kicks in for every move you make, so you end up with a long, rather worthless to me, log there. A log that would say something like xyz file edited or xyz command ran, would be more useful than 'ghost commander, ghost samba' got su permission. So that one is OFF at this time.
    3. When I do Show root & mounts - it did indeed show all that (like Root Explorer). But when I went to manually edit hosts file and saved, it didn't save. Likely rights issue, though I have been able to do that through RootExplorer. Also note that a short press on a file triggers one set of possible actions, long press another list. I have this enabled all the time in case needed.
    4. (SMB) File sharing with WindowsXP works fine. I enter my Windows password to the shares and all works fine. This one and FmgrHD I have been using for a long time to access Win files.

Anyway, the good news is that these trials didn't break my Thrive
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I should note that I found something else I didn't like in GC. I downloaded Vgeezy's Verizon mod and GC won't extract the zip. It will display the contents, but not install or extract the apk. On the otherhand, ES allows both.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 06-09-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    As I mentioned in another thread, my problems with GC returned as soon as I checked that last "mount" option in preferences. So, because I've really gotten used to the dual panes concept, I'm going to give GC one more chance. But, it's going to be a lot of work and I truly hope it's something with my setup tgat is causing the problem

To that end, I'm going to reflash Paul's 0003 OOM Rooted ROM and that's it, no Titanium Backup restore of apps, app data, or even system data. Then I'm going to check "Unknown sources", update SU and reinstall my apps one at a time from both the Store and Amazon. The only 2 things I think I need to save are my Dolphin HD bookmarks and my place in the Kindle book I'm reading. Of course, I'll have my CWM and Titanium backups as a fallback. If that doesn't fix my problem, I'll simply go back to ES File Explorer and maybe just keep GC around for the occasional large file transfer. Of course, I could just use it without that last "mount" option enabled, but I'm inclined to think there is something more wrong than GC. :banghead:
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Doesn't the Kindle reader sync up your bookmarks in the cloud?
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    Doesn't the Kindle reader sync up your bookmarks in the cloud?
    That's a good point. I didn't think of that, but I think you're right. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to hold off a bit though, too busy just now. I cleared data one more time and will see how that goes.
    Cheers, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads