• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rtfw

Thread: How Do I use an SD Card for offline music from Google Music

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How Do I use an SD Card for offline music from Google Music

I have a Google Music account and I absolutely LOVE it. So much so that I have made a lot of the music available offline for time when I do not have wifi access. I would like to move the current music and all future music I make available offline to a SD card. Googe Music does not provide a method (that I am aware of) to do this. Does anyone have a sugeestion or work around or am I missinig something here?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1879 times
    Seems that here's the answer. Not the answer that you'd like though....

Google Play Music Offline on SD Card? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    I haven't done it, but one should be able to download your Google Music songs to your PC and then manually copy them to your SD Card.

How to Play Google Music Offline
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    I tried that a while back and it wound up giving me multiple copies of each song showing in the app interface. Not a big deal, just confusing. I got around that by clicking the option for show only offline content (or some similar wording). Seems that Google Music expects songs you cached for offline to be in their folder only and anything else is just listed as a song on the device. That was a while back though so they may have fixed it.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Now it makes sense. Google wants to move away from SD cards to placate Big Media so that they make their content available via Play.

This because it can be flagged as downloaded and so blocked from showing up via MTP and so on. And with internal storage being non-removable by definition, there is no (official) way to access the FS directly. How long before they have a purge of file managers with network capability i wonder...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's a good chance you cuold just lift it from the directory it's stored it. You may need a ROOT file manager. It works with Google Docs/Drive, though you need to turn off encryption; I haven't tried it with Google music. The thread someone linked above has the directory your music is stored in when you make it offline.

If you use a different music player you can probably have it only read certain directories (I used PowerAmp)

----=zR]|[Gz=----
    Toshiba Thrive 32G rooted Android 3.2 + Lexar 128GB SDXC & Backup Battery
    HTC Magic G2 + 16GB microSD
    IBM Thinkpad 12" X60 1.6GhzCore2Duo 2G DDR2 128GB SSD
    Data Mules: 1TB 3.5" External drive & 500GB 2.5" External

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Worth a try. You can use Ghost Commander to move the whole folder to your SD card. Even Google Play should find the songs after they get moved to the SD card. Hopefully the number/naming convention of the file names are set in the cloud.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Just tried moving sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/ folder and subfolders to the same path on sdcard2. No dice. Google Music started copying the files down from the internet again to cache them. So I let it finish and then made sure to move them again. Same result. Unless we can link the path somehow, it is not possible without someone figuring out how to hack the apk.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Got it working for those who have root. Much thanks to slig at XDA for the tool he created.

Get Directory Bind from [TOOL] DirectoryBind - move data to external_sd (GameLoft, Shadowgun etc.) ROOT req. - xda-developers (I used the 2.2.0o apk)

I followed similar pathing to ensure that I could replicate it.

1) Installed DirectoryBind
    2) Created folder /mnt/sdcard2/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/
    3) Move artwork and music folders form sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/ to that new folder on sdcard2.
    4) Open DirectoryBind.
    5) Click Menu->Add New Entry
    6) Source = /mnt/sdcard2/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/
    7) Target = /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/
    8) Click Add (I could not get the Transfer files option working, which is why I did step 3)
    9) Make sure there is a check mark on teh right side of the new bind
    10) Click Menu->Bind Checked.
    11) Enjoy.

Note that you may want to go into Preferences and also enable the Bind on Boot option so the folder gets rebound each time you reboot. I haven't tested that part yet, but rebinding is pretty easy to do manually if you remember to.
    danvee and JiveTurkee like this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Note: Make sure to enable the Alternate dbase mgmt option under preferences to save your settings on reboot. Took me a bit to find that out.

Ads