• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Movies & Music on new 64GB SDXC

I have a few questions on the most effective use of the new SDXC card hopefully arriving later today.
    1) What is the most effective settings/format for the card?
    2 My music is now both on the iPod & Google music (cloud). With this background what app woul I use to play music from the card?
    3) What application would I use to convert/ move CD based music to the new card?
    4) The movies are all set to go I just need to move them from the USB drive.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I would suggest formatting as FAT32, unless you have files larger than 4gb, then it has to be exFat. The Thrive does not recognize NTFS unless you apply the mod for it. I would suggest loading a couple movies to the SD card first and be sure they play to your satisfaction before loading everything and finding you have to format again. Can't help you with the music questions, but I am sure others will chime in.
    Toshiba Thrive 32GB
    Running DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    i have a lexar 64gb card and i did not format it.I just put the SD card in mine labtop and made a music folder and video folder on the card.all mine music are mp3 and are group by artist.I copy artist one at a time.the first time I tried all at a time. after its Ginsberg I went back to looking somehow some of them did not copy to the right folder.it was faster to just delete thems and start over than trying to just move them to the right folder.I started just moving one artist at a time.when I got all of them on it I had used 59gb so its about full.I wish I got the 128gb card for 60 dollars more.as for movies I have a labtop HD that i used in mine labtop I upgraded it to a solid state HD and used the old one on the thrive USB.I have all my movies on it.its a 500gb HD and will hold a lot of mp4 video.I only plug it in when i watch a movie.it does use extra battery but not bad.movies are good to do this way thay take a lot of space.I would get them all music and movies download to your Pc first and copy themselves to the SD card.hope this helps.need anything let me know.glad to help.good luck.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    definately format that card using either a cell phone or the thrive if its like the one i have (SanDisk Micro SD 64GB SDXC w/ SD adapter). my computer would not let me format it to FAT32. after the card was formatted.. the card read every movie file i had (i used the mobo player + the recommended codec that mobo will ask you to download)

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    i don't think he has a mirco card.I did not read it that way.the mirco card with the adapter don't work well with the thrive.i would use a full size card.as for the movies just copy them from your USB to the card.you could format it to fat32 if you want.just put the card in and see if the thrive will see it first.if not format it to fat32 on your PC.does not take a minutes to do it.

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    just Google mp3 converter there are several to choose from that's free.I use roxio for mine i already had it.I use a 256 format.its takes up more space.you can do 128 to save space.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Ok FAT32, 256 on the audio (if space allows). The new card from Amazon which isn't here yet is the SanDisk 64GB that was on sale. I found a MP3 converter.
    I guess there is no way to get the already burnt CD ones from iTunes/iPod to the SD card and save a lot of time? I know the stuff purchased on iTunes can't be brought over but what about the ones I loaded from commercial CDs to the iPod?
    Thanks!
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Ok I'm back and need a bit more assistance. The Transcend 16GB FAT32 formated SDHC (10) card was removed because I ran out of space. The Ultra SDXC 64GB card showed up in the mail yesterday.
    Here is the problem, I can't get it formatted to FAT32. What I've done so far:
    1) Tried formatting it in an MS XP PC with EASEUS Partition Master, but it doesn't se the card.
    2) put it into 2 different MS Win7 PCs and the options are exFAT (standard) or NTFS.
    3) I think (don't remember) that I may have borrowed a SD/USB converter and plugged it into a USB port to do it. I'll go buy one of those unless someone has a different suggestion.
    I know this toic has been covered in the past but frankly I don't remember having this much of a problem the last time.
    Help please!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Yaker; 04-07-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: changed dta point
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    This is all from memory, so I may well be wrong, but....

1. XP does not support EXFAT or SDXC cards without this update:
    Download: Update for Windows XP (KB955704) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

2. You might need a utility like:
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    to format to FAT32 (unless you can choose that during a FULL format in Win7) ]you should ALWAYS do a full format, anyway-even though it takes AGES]

3.It may an issue with your reader (hardware or software). An external reader/writer seems more reliable.

FWIW
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Just askin

Be sure the new card is not locked. If your computer cannot see it, then that is not the problem.
    Just put it into the Thrive and see if it is recognized. Most cards (not micros) should work out of the (plastic) box.
    Running a stock 16 GB Thrive with ICS and a 32 GB Thrive with ICS. Haven't found courage to hack one or the other.
    I also have (my wife thinks its hers) an Excite 7.7 with ICS @16 gigs and a 32 gig micro sandisk SD card

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads