• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    It's not locked I moved a few files over before engaging the format issue. Win7 can see it but not XP or that other package I mentioned.
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I believe I did the MS download you mentioned the last time for he 16GB card but I'll check. If not I'll try the utility.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    This is all from memory, so I may well be wrong, but....

1. XP does not support EXFAT or SDXC cards without this update:
    Download: Update for Windows XP (KB955704) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

2. You might need a utility like:
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    to format to FAT32 (unless you can choose that during a FULL format in Win7) ]you should ALWAYS do a full format, anyway-even though it takes AGES]

3.It may an issue with your reader (hardware or software). An external reader/writer seems more reliable.

FWIW
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Use linux to format it fat32. Also, linux will likely be able to read it in your card slot where windows will not. Using windows still has a price, there are still many things they prevent you from doing in the hopes you will spend more money to upgrade.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a transcend 64gb SDXC I bought from amazon and it works fine. I used FAT32 formatting on XP. I did have to load the patch from microsoft that was previously mentioned. I did try the formatter from the sdcard.org. But for whatever reason it did not work as well for me as guiformat. What led me to FAT32 to solve my issues was this post - SD Card slowness - 64Gb SDXC with lots of files. I was experiencing the lots of files issue, I have lots of woodworking pdf's and pics and music and accessing those were also very slow using several file managers, gallery and such. I noticed that the exFAT block was large in comparison (32kb) to the 4096 I am using from the guiformat program. So those are the details of what I am doing. Before this I was using a Kingston 32GB SDHC card class 10 I ran into the same issues that pushed me to FAT32 with that card.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by megamon View Post
    I have a transcend 64gb SDXC I bought from amazon and it works fine. I used FAT32 formatting on XP. I did have to load the patch from microsoft that was previously mentioned. I did try the formatter from the sdcard.org. But for whatever reason it did not work as well for me as guiformat. What led me to FAT32 to solve my issues was this post - SD Card slowness - 64Gb SDXC with lots of files. I was experiencing the lots of files issue, I have lots of woodworking pdf's and pics and music and accessing those were also very slow using several file managers, gallery and such. I noticed that the exFAT block was large in comparison (32kb) to the 4096 I am using from the guiformat program. So those are the details of what I am doing. Before this I was using a Kingston 32GB SDHC card class 10 I ran into the same issues that pushed me to FAT32 with that card.
    Thanks still working it, I'll give an update tomorrow.
    Thanks!
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Still no success in formatting the 64GB SDXC to FAT32. I downloaded the MS "fix" but nothing. The Win7 PCs only give exFAT or NTFS as format options. Haven't tried Linux yet. Busy weekend, need some dedicated time to work this. It sure would be nice to pop it in the TT and be given the formatting option.
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    UPDATE
    It's working as I used the recommendation (Ridgeway) from the posting. There were a few weird events, some folders didn't copy over from within the TT. I was able to move files from the USB drive to the FAT32 SDXC card when both were in a Win7 PC. As it turns out it didn't like some file naming conventions and saw that some of the converted movies were corrupted and wouldn't move them. I found it intereresting that the corrupted video files wouldn't copy over. Having discovered these 2 issues the rest of the wor seemed fine. I played the Planet of the Apes movie on the Flat Screen from the SDXC card an the performance in that one instance was fine.
    OVERALL: Working thanks for all the help!
    Best Regards,
    Yaker

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Still no success in formatting the 64GB SDXC to FAT32. I downloaded the MS "fix" but nothing. The Win7 PCs only give exFAT or NTFS as format options. Haven't tried Linux yet. Busy weekend, need some dedicated time to work this. It sure would be nice to pop it in the TT and be given the formatting option.
    It isn't clear from your next post how you were ultimately able to format to FAT32?

What is the Ridgeway recommendation?

See my post here:
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...tml#post106716

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Amazing you are so bothered about it, but I never thought about particular type of setting. Better use different setting, so you know about each one.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    NO
    I have a quick question, I have read through other threats about formatting the SD cards. So far, for what I understand, FAT32 works great for files that are 2Gs or less, while exFAT are better if the file is 2Gs or higher. Now, in this thread it says that FAT32 can handle 4Gs and higher, can someone clarify this? I just want to be able to use the right format to transfer movies into my 16g SD, since movies are usually take about 1.5Gigs or higher, unless is one of those 4hrs movie which will take more space.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads