• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bose SoundLink Wireless Speaker Review

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times

Bose SoundLink Wireless Speaker Review

This is not "Let's Bash Bose" thread. I just wanted to review one of Bose latest products.

The new Bose SoundLink Wireless speaker is a pricey speaker to add to your Thrive. Occasionally I have a need for a good speaker when we go to a swim party or out on a picnic. As we all know, the built-in speakers of the Thrive leave a LOT to be desired. My left speaker went out and I didn't even bother to send it in for repair. For everyday use, I just pack along a $15 Philips speaker that easily attaches to my thrive through that "duct tape" replacement called velcro. It does quite a nice job for that purpose. Now onto the review.

The Bose SoundLink is a Bluetooth option that works with perfectly with your thrive. Did I mention it was pricey? Yep, I shelled out $299 for this device. You can also use a 3.5mm jack through the auxiliary connection on the SoundLink instead of Bluetooth. It is 5.1" high x 9.6" wide x 1.9" deep. It weighs 2.9lbs, therefore adding some heft if you carry it around. The device comes with a sturdy nylon kit. There is an optional leather kit, but I personally didn't see a need for it.

How does it sound? Personally, I think it is awesome. Bose, has a nice way of getting some added bass to their small systems. I played with it, using the app Equalizer to tweak it around. The SoundLink does not have equalizer settings on it. All that is done from your thrive. Go to high on some of the settings and you will get a truly bad, distorted sound. I've got some of my old 70's and 80's tunes playing through it as I type. The speaker is actually placed behind me on my credenza.

The front nylon cover folds down and behind the unit to make a stand. The device itself has a very sturdy feel and seems well made. There are 5 speakers total. 2 on the right and left front and 1 larger for base in the middle.

The downside of this product is there is no USB charging. The power supply is A/C only. The plus side is, when plugged in, the speakers will play. Some USB speakers will not play or charge while plugged in. Not a problem here. The batteries are rated to hold a charge for 3 - 8 hours, depending on the volume you have set. This seems ample for most occasions. I've been playing them for about 4 hours the last couple of days without having them plugged in. The battery indicator is still showing yellow, which means it is between 20-70% charged.

The battery indicator is the one thing that confused me. I actually had to call technical support. When I first plugged the device in, the battery indicator light lit up green and stayed that way, until I couldn't wait any longer to listen to the speakers. I pushed the bluetooth button to pair up with my Toshiba Thrive and the light went out. I got synched fine but could not get the indicator light to come back on. Come to find out, it is not supposed to stay on. In order to check the charge, you have to hold down on the power button for 2-3 seconds and it will flash on either green (70%+ charged), amber (20-70% charged) or red (less than 20% charged). I'm not crazy about that, but it was designed that way to extend battery life. I can live with it.

Overall, I am very happy with the SoundLink. I enjoy listening to music and want it to sound decent. My home stereo system is not the junk you buy at Best Buy. I use old school analog systems such as McIntosh, 70's era Panasonic, Klipsch Forte II speakers, even some old Bose 901's. Yes, I even have vinyl and a reel to reel tape player. One of my other hobbies.

I would recommend this product to someone wanting an upgrade to the sound of their Thrive. The Thrive needs amplified speakers. Do like I did. Take your Thrive to the Bose store and listen for yourself. I played a movie and various music from my Thrive before making my decision. We moved the speaker about 15 feet away and it really sounded good. It's time to stop and put on Hotel California.

Edit: I forgot to mention it makes a heck of a speaker for calls via Groove IP or Skype.
    Last edited by Oaklands; 09-30-2011 at 03:39 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    Nice review. Any idea how it compares this item? Worth the extra $200? Why or why not?- Logitech - Wireless Speaker Z515

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Lets bash on Bose! Kidding

I actually had no clue what the sound link was, had to look it up. Final thoughts.. interesting. As long as you like it though, that's good.

But for $300... Hmm if I had $300 to spend on new speakers... I would have gotten a decent htib and the remainder on some flexygy and starflex cables.

Or MA av40's and a Polk 10 sub.

Good review :-D

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epakrat75 View Post
    Nice review. Any idea how it compares this item? Worth the extra $200? Why or why not?- Logitech - Wireless Speaker Z515
    Couldn't tell you as I have not heard that one. That one has 2 speakers vs. The 5 the Bose has. The Bose has a rock solid feel to it.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Lets bash on Bose! Kidding

I actually had no clue what the sound link was, had to look it up. Final thoughts.. interesting. As long as you like it though, that's good.

But for $300... Hmm if I had $300 to spend on new speakers... I would have gotten a decent htib and the remainder on some flexygy and starflex cables.

Or MA av40's and a Polk 10 sub.

Good review :-D

Shame I can't carry my home system around with me.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Epak for those 515's, I can tell you right now knowing Logitech speakers; it won't sound better than the Bose. I have the z2300 2.1 speakers. Although the bass is seriously awesome, for some reason Logitech just doesn't like to use tweeters.

With only 2 mids, its going to sound muddy. Roll offs on the highs will sound terrible and lack low end. Although a clean mid and decent lower mid punch, just not worth the money.

samething with my z2300's, 2 mids in the speakers and a awesome sub. Lacks highs though. Roll offs sounds terrible. For a clean sound, need tweeters with mids. Not just mids. Nothing hifi about only mids lol.

In the end, for that much money, there's something definitely a lot better.

Put it in a little red wagon hahaha

Last edited by epakrat75; 09-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    epakrat75 likes this.
    ~ Exile

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi I have motorola Q7 nice speaker ,really loud ,6x6x1,5 in, is bluethooth, has 4 small JBL speaker, wire conection ,battery and AC operated and only 65$ at Amazon

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mini Rechargeable Bluetooth V2.0 A2DP Audio Receiver - Free Shipping - DealExtremei had these for two days for now. they are pretty decent, no distorsions with thrive unlike my cowon j3. maybe thrive does better downsampling than cowon with FLACs. great with movies and games, but gtalk doesnt use bluetooth. battery lasts about 3 hours, but they can be used during charging. they came blank on top, no chinese labeling.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Interesting...

~ Exile

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have written a very detailed review of the Soundlink comparing it to various other speakers like the mentioned Logitech S715i and also the bigger Sounddock portable, i also included lots of photos. This review is in german though, maybe i will manage to translate it into english once, meanwhile here is an automatic translation for those still interested:

Soundlink Review

But my conclusion is as follows: this is by far the best portable speaker i have ever tried. it blows any other speaker of this size out of the water. the s715i although quite nice when run from AC-power, it sucks all time when run from batteries. even when run from AC-power s715i bass is by far not that powerful as the bose.
    My only complaint with the Soundlink is the somewhat recessed treble. many other speakers sound much brighter, like the s715, which sounds even too bright though. But nevertheless the bose has the best overall sound which makes lots of fun to listen to. dance and house music have enough "kick" to really make you dance, even outside. You don't need any walls or other tricks like putting the speaker on the floor to increase bass, the Soundlink sounds extremly mature.
    And you can crank the speaker quite loud without any distortion. Of course at highest volume there is some dynamic compression going on and bass is reduced, but music sounds still good on it. Volume wise the bose is louder than the s715 running from batteries, the s715 is louder when run from AC-power, but i don't buy portable speakers to listen to them on AC-power!
    i hope this helps a bit!

Here is an image of the Soundlink compared to a normal novel book. Trusted reviews bashed about the Soundlink for being too large as portable speaker, but if the Soundlink is too large, even any book would be too large:

soundlink-book.jpg
    Last edited by oluv; 10-03-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Ads