• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HotSpot

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley,Northwest California(97....)/Pocatello, ID(90-97)/Covina,SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    ilvla2
    Quote Originally Posted by epakrat75 View Post
    You may have reception anyway since signal strength also varies between device even when on the same network in my experience. I've owned many devices. I usually have roaming off and that has actually improved signal solidarity as well as battery life in my case. So, no need to be bummed before you have an actual reason to be.
    She will have plenty of coverage here, it'll just be on Verizon and/or U.S. Cellular, see my post above yours. She won't want to turn roaming off, if she does that she won't have any coverage, as the CDMA/1x/EVDO signal here is provide by Verizon (850, B Band) and U.S. Cellular (850, A Band).

Edit-The carriers here are, in terms of coverage quality

1.U.S. Cellular (850, A Band, CDMA 1X/EVDO)
    2.Verizon (850/1900, B Band, CDMA 1X/EVDO)
    3.AT&T (1900, GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HSPA)
    4.T-Mobile (1900, GSM/GRPS/EDGE)
    5.Metro PCS (1900, CDMA 1X)
    Last edited by SoCalRailRoader; 08-22-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Device:Toshiba Thrive Tablet w/32 GB SDHC (Rooted, Stock 3.1 Honeycomb ROM V.0032)
    Happy 40th Anniversary Amtrak, 1971-2011, and here's to many more!(1971 was the year they assumed ops of most intercity passenger trains)
    Freight Railroads, keeping America moving and productive since 1826!
    Amtrak, keeping American's movin' and groovin' since 1971!
    Go Idaho State University! Proud Alumni here

2. Ads

Web
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have an Evo3d and a Virgin mifi. In some places I go I have to use the mifi so that the phone can connect over wifi to get connected. The mifi connects much better than the phone, and both are on the same network.If I had signed up for the Sprint hotspot, it would have been useless to me.Luckaly I got grandfathered in to a $40 unlimited plan, I think it's now $50 and not unlimited.
    Forgot, the Virgin mifi you can just turn it on any month you want, no 2 year contract....
    Last edited by Web; 08-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I just got the Verizon Mifi 2200 since I use it while camping in remote areas. Verizon has the best coverage as far as I can tell and when I used the Virgin one (great when it worked) I lost coverage as soon as I stepped out in to the woods it seemed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well you could get the optimus phone from virgin mobile. Down load a app from the market place that lets you turn on the hotspot in it and get 300 mins and unlimited text ,web and messages for $35 a month.

Now I have heard they slow you down after 2 gigs but for the price you have to like it.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiecolon View Post
    Which will be the best HotSpot to use with the Thrive? I have heard of MyFi through ATT and have read about the ones that other carriers have. I also know that there are phones that can turn into a hotspot and will allow wireless connectivity to a few different devices. What will be best, using one of those hotspots or getting a phone that can turn into one?
    I use my htc evo with the thrive and it works with no problem.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Hi Freddiecolon,

I like the Verizon MiFi hotspot, the coverage is always there and ther speed is always good.

-bobj

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    The only issue I have with the HotSpot options out there is they are all metered. Even the ones that say they are unlimited will throuttle your speeds back after you use a certain amount. Read the fine print on them.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads