• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Car Charger for Thrive...? (Anker)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought that Anker golden car charger for the thrive and I really like it. Besides working great with the Thrive it has an additional USB charge port that I use to keep my wireless hot spot charged. Also with older kids and cell phones it comes in handy too.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmess View Post
    Why not just buy a cheap inverter at Walmart. Then you won't need to worry about frying your devices.
    You can't buy "a cheap inverter at Walmart" for $3. Not sure why you think using an inverter and the 120vAC charger will assuage worries "about frying your devices."
    Using an inverter and an AC charger means you have two devices connected in order to power one tablet. It's also more efficient in terms of power consumption to stay with a DC voltage converter, especially compared to a cheap inverter. Using car charger(s) allows you to leave it in the car, ready to use when you need it, and do the same with your 120vAC charger.

FWIW, you can also get larger 19vDC car chargers that will power different devices at different voltages, and come with interchangeable tip sizes, and these also typically have a separate 5vDC USB port that can be used simultaneously with the main DC output.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 02-20-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneNomad View Post
    I actually bought another one myself.
    For $3, I couldn't pass it up, and it's always possible to use it with something else (like a laptop) that requires 19 volts.
    This type, which has a 12vDC power cord, can be more convenient than the other type that has a big plastic body that plugs directly into a DC power (lighter) socket.

The other good thing about those I linked above is they all have a right-angle 19v power connector, which is less likely to come unplugged, or cause damage to the 19v power socket.

Yeah my brother was angry at me for not getting him one so I bought another and let him have the first one which arrived today. LOL!
    Last edited by danvee; 02-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Car Charger for Thrive...? (Anker)

Just a suggestion. Didn't intend to offended anyone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times

Re: Car Charger for Thrive...? (Anker)

Quote Originally Posted by bitmess View Post
    Just a suggestion. Didn't intend to offended anyone.
    You didn't offend anyone. Some people just don't like the AC inverters and would rather buy a collection of DC chargers. I've used 2 AC inverters for a number of years to power/charge all my devices (phones, tablets, laptops and even my dSLR) and have never had a problem. The only DC charger I have is for my Garmin and that's only because that is how it's sold with the traffic receiver built in. So I say to each his/her own.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TunesForMe View Post
    I bought that Anker golden car charger for the thrive and I really like it. Besides working great with the Thrive it has an additional USB charge port that I use to keep my wireless hot spot charged. Also with older kids and cell phones it comes in handy too.
    There are also lots of chargers that will power just about anything, and also have USB, like these:

100W Universal Laptop Notebook USB Car Charger 5V 15V 16V 18V 19V 20V 22V 24V HP | eBay

80W Universal Laptop Notebook USB Car Charger 5V 15V 16V 18V 19V 20V 22V 24V IBM | eBay

And there is even a compact single unit (body plugs into lighter socket) charger with USB like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NBCHRG-Unive...item35b9e12511 which looks like it's a popular seller, and even cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-netVOL.../dp/B0032FPMEE It does use adapter tips though, which is good if you want to use it with something else, but adds to the bulk hanging off of whatever it's plugged in to.

As for having a collection of DC chargers, most small (tablet/phone) devices these days use the standard 5v microUSB or miniUSB power connector. Unfortunately, some tablets, notably Samsung and Apple, have only a proprietary connector, and require a matching cable. Most laptops (and of course, the Thrive) use 19vDC. These two voltages (along with 12vDC itself) covers the vastg majority of mobile tech devices.

Using an AC invertor to power DC devices is doing it the bass-ackwards way. I've mentioned before in another thread why this is the case, but the fundamental fact is that any inverter that most people are likely to buy to power small devices in a car will output very poor quality stepped-wave AC power. True Sine Wave inverters are not cheap. In comparison, it is easy (and cheap) to output well-regulated DC power from a switching-type power supply.

Some will argue that "most" devices come with AC chargers only, and that may be true. But car chargers are very cheap, and with good reason, compared to decent inverters.

So if somebody WANTED to have only ONE set of chargers for devices that would be used a lot of the time in a car, then car chargers are the way to go, and those chargers could be used indoors on AC power by using a 12vDC power supply (plugs into 120vAC, outputs 12vDC), like this one which is big enough to power a small refrigerator; smaller ones are much cheaper). This scenario is exactly analogous to using 120vAC chargers in a car with an inverter, except the DC power supply takes the place of the inverter. But IMO that's not the most convenient way.

The other advantage to using the car chargers is... they stay in the car. If you have only one charger, it has to move with the device, if you want to be able to charge it. So having multiple chargers is like having enough outlets to plug in all your power tools or kitchen appliances at the same time without having to routinely plug and unplug cords. I leave the car charger connected to the Thrive dock (<$5 @ Ben's), which both supports the Thrive and makes it easy-off/easy-on. The same concept works with any other tablet that has a dock available.

Not to mention the fact that converting 12vDC to 120vAC and then back to DC is less efficient, something that starts to add up quickly as you move up to larger devices, like coolers and refrigerators, especially if you'd like to run them off the vehicle's battery while the vehicle is not running. Most inverters (especially the cheaper ones) have a parasitic drain even when there are no loads connected. Might want to make sure you also have jumper cables and/or roadside assistance plan.

And this is without even getting into the surprise that awaits anyone who uses a 120vAC inverter to power a charger for a laptop, and then connects a diagnostic device such as an OBD scanner to both the vehicle's OBD port and the laptop's USB port. It's not a risk worth taking on an expensive piece of hardware.

These are some of the reasons why I say using a DC car charger is the better way:
    1. more convenient (if leaving the car chargers in the vehicles)
    2. more efficient
    3. safer: less risk of damage to certain equipment

Or you could just take the word of those who haven't had any problem... yet.
    Last edited by GoneNomad; 03-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    am i the only one who hasn't had luck with the $3 charger that was posted on the first page? i bought one, it came in, didn't work, i got a replacement, same result.

when i plug it into the thrive the charging light comes on for a split second then remains off. Any help?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mine worked when I first got it. Only checked it briefly to make sure it worked, no long term testing yet though. Was hoping to use it this year on vacation.
    Andy

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thrive auto charger

I googled Thrive auto charger or something to that effect a couple of years ago. What I found was a device labeled GPK Systems. It plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet. It resembles the same setup as the a/c plug complete with an inline box. It is wide range input 11.5v-16v dc,1.9A max.Output is 19v 1.58A. I bought this to run the Thrive as a GPS in an airplane ,but have only used it in my truck on a 300 mile trip. Havent had any trouble out of it with my limited use. I think it cost under $20. On a different subject whats up with Toshiba , I could find no Toshiba tablets at two different Best Buys one at Texarkana Texas and one store at Jonesboro Arkansas. I purchased one of the first Thrives and was thinking of upgrading to a new Excite with quad core and gorilla glass.
    Last edited by WCCFLY; 04-28-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    I would hazard to guess that Toshiba has bailed on the tablet end of the business. Too bad, as they coulda been a contender.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads