• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: wireless external hard drive for android tablets

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

wireless external hard drive for android tablets

Reading about a wirelss external hard drive that connects to Tablet via wifi. Load from PC to Ext HD then stream to tablet. Regular connection usb 3 to pc. Wondering if anyone on forum has one in use? Very interested to play mp4 video files on trips. Like to hear from someone using one with their Thrive. Thanks so much.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absresin View Post
    Reading about a wirelss external hard drive that connects to Tablet via wifi. Load from PC to Ext HD then stream to tablet. Regular connection usb 3 to pc. Wondering if anyone on forum has one in use? Very interested to play mp4 video files on trips. Like to hear from someone using one with their Thrive. Thanks so much.
    Got a web link about that read?
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

no web link

Not sure what a web link is. Got the info from a company I bought an external hard drive from. I assume it's not a scam as you suggest.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absresin View Post
    Not sure what a web link is. Got the info from a company I bought an external hard drive from. I assume it's not a scam as you suggest.
    He's asking for a URL so he can read up on the wireless HD you speak of. Nobody said anything about a scam.
    SteveCampsOut likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times

Re: wireless external hard drive for android tablets

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell.../dp/B004Z0S7K6

There even appear to be enclosures that allow you to mount your own HD.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...w=980&bih=1291
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

didn't want to advertize

Sorry, didn't want to appear to be advertizing any particular company here. Not sure if it was allowed. Item was mentioned in an e-mail from Seagate. I have one of their external hard drives. I was just wondering if any one had one and used it with a Thrive? Mixed reviews on Amazon. Meant no offense.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would have no idea of how to do the URL thing you asked for.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Absresin the issue with your question is that your not specific enough.. wifi hard drive i dont use them bc i have no need i have a pc that i have setup as an ftp server works just fine. If your talking about an .mp4 streaming purpose again i go to my pc have a plex server setup by the way plex is free. You can also setup your home computer to stream over the internet.. with the plex server. For example if your traveling and want access to your 2 terabytes of .mp4 files from your tablet you can stream them from you computer at home over the internet.. Hope this answer some of your questions.
    strider_mt2k likes this.
    Thrive 10.1 16gig with JB CM10 U5 Exulted Elephant Rooted ROM

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Sorry not specific

Because of the cost , about $165, just wanted to contact someone using such a device with their Thrive. My use would be a lot of the time with no wifi available. Thought it might be nice to be able to stream mp4 video to my thrive from a small unit. The info you gave about using pc etc is way way above my skill level. I'm 75 and don't walk well, wife doesn't drive. Spend hours sitting in the car while she shops, does appointments etc.. thanks you so much for info you took the time to give.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Have you considered 1 or more SD cards with a capacity up to 128gb (max size you can use) for your movies and swap them out? Let's say the average mp4 movie is 1gb, if you have a 128gb card, that's 128 movies, give or take.
    You can get a lot of mp4 video on a sd card and they're a heck of a lot cheaper and less cumbersome to carry around.
    lectric.chuck and jorge505 like this.
    Technology has surpassed humanity
    2 Thrive 10" tablets- 1 out-of-the-box stock with Ice Cream Sandwich and 1 using
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    1 Thrive 7" -
    2 Excite tablets 10" and 7.7" both with multi-docks - Nexus 7 2nd generation 64GB - 2 LG 8.3 GPads 1 on wi-fi and 1 on Verizon 4G LTE
    Windows 8.1 tablets - Dell Venue Pro 8.1 64GB - Asus Transformer AT100T 32GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads